Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Just purchased NX-270 some nnob questions

Hello... just purchased a NX-270 and I'm hoping someone can advise on a few questions.

I'm big... 6' 250lbs... I spoke with the Clark guys (they were awesome by the way) they said no problems. I want to change the suspension a bit and use atlas straps which are rated at 200 lbs each 400 combined. Is this going to work for me? I used the hang calculator online and with a 30 degree hang is seems I might be pushing if if I'm reading things correctly?

Ideally I was wanting use the supplied rope tied to a carabiner then to the straps... I was just thinking this would be super easy and I don't need to worry about weight my jeep will be near by.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saytfast View Post
    Hello... just purchased a NX-270 and I'm hoping someone can advise on a few questions.

I'm big... 6' 250lbs... I spoke with the Clark guys (they were awesome by the way) they said no problems. I want to change the suspension a bit and use atlas straps which are rated at 200 lbs each 400 combined. Is this going to work for me? I used the hang calculator online and with a 30 degree hang is seems I might be pushing if if I'm reading things correctly?

Ideally I was wanting use the supplied rope tied to a carabiner then to the straps... I was just thinking this would be super easy and I don't need to worry about weight my jeep will be near by.

Thoughts?
    Personally i think you would be better of going over to Dutchwaregear.com and picking up a complete suspention set up
    Send Dutch a pm about it and he will help you out, excellent customer service and he has everything you'll need on his site.
    I wouldn't use the atlas straps, but that's just me.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Agree with Zilla, that's a high end hammock with a moderately hefty price, I'd rather use a safer rated suspension than to cheap out and wonder. Dutch is the go-to source for that sort of thing.

As for the 30 degree, I'm not sure on the NX-270 (which is my next hammock) but on my Vertex I go more by how the tension on the top is. If there is any stiffness or pull on the zippers you have it to tight. Thirty degrees is a guideline to start, but you dial it in for your own comfort. Enjoy the hammock, I love the heck out of my Vertex!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Instead of leaving the Clark ropes in the channels (which will work fine, by the way), I would buy or make some 8" continuous Amsteel loops to replace the ropes in the end channels. Then use a carabiner, as you plan, to attach to either Atlas straps or other web and buckle products. Warbonnet, Dutch, and ArrowHead are some that would have anything you need. The advantage of the Amsteel loop is less weight and bulk.
    As far as the Atlas straps - lots (and lots) of people are using them. The weak point is probably the stitching at each loop but most rope and strap products have a safety factor of at least 4. You are probably fine with the Atlas straps.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Thanks for the advice all.... Clark is sending me their tree straps which are super hefty. I will look into making some of the suggested changes next week... I'm thinking I will be okay with the Clark starps for the weekend.

@Passinthru -- I think I will try the Amsteel loops also.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saytfast View Post
    Thanks for the advice all.... Clark is sending me their tree straps which are super hefty. I will look into making some of the suggested changes next week... I'm thinking I will be okay with the Clark starps for the weekend.

@Passinthru -- I think I will try the Amsteel loops also.

Thanks!
    fyi, the clark straps are 2 inch x 4 ft long , basically tree huggers. and they should have come with the hammock if bought new.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    While I have continuous loops on another hammock, I figured since I bought the clark ropes (came with my nx250), I might as well use them since they work fine as passinthru mentioned. So I kept the rope in the channel and just tied another loop using clarks recommended bowline knot. I cut the excess length then I just hooked up a carabiner to the loop. Works like a charm...I actually like clarks ropes.Photo0835.jpg
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 07-15-2015 at 16:27.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Zill, just a heads up, the tree straps are an extra option.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have seen the Clark tree straps & they are to short for most hangs. I use continuous loops through the channel & some Dutch cinch bugs (very nice). Atlas straps would probably work better than the clark. As far as the hang, 30° doesn't work for mine. I get the height , then tighten it till just before the bug net & zippers are pulled tight. Being a little bigger than me, you may need to loosen a little.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My Clark 2" polypro tree straps that came with the NX-250 were advertised as 6 feet, but are actually 7 feet. In Pacific Northwest lowland old growth forests, that can easily be too small, so I bought a pair of 8 ft 1.5" polypro straps. I usually carry one - 8 footer and both 6 footers. When two of the straps are looped together as necessary, it has always been enough.

I'm running a continuous Amsteel loop with a descending (drip) ring in the end channels with another 6 foot length of Amsteel whoopie looped onto the ring, and clipped to the tree straps. But as a former climber I thought the stock Clark ropes with the adjustable sliding bowline knot tied through their drip-rings they showed on the Clark website was pretty clever and easy. Whoopies or straps with dual descending ring or Dutch buckles are a bit easier for making fine adjustments though.

Also I start at 30° using the thumb and index finger as a protractor, with the head end about 6" to 10" lower than the foot end, then make adjustments. Somebody recently mentioned putting a loaded pack in the hammock as an indicator for adjusting the tension so the weathershield and bug net zippers are (nearly) straight up. I tried that on my last outing and it worked. After fine tuning to get the calf ridge out of the bottom, and deploying the (waterproof down) UQ it's blissful zzzzzzz time.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 07-17-2015 at 09:17.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast