Hammock
    Tribe Provisions
    Tarp
    Simply Light BB
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad + Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    I'm really looking forward to my first group hang, maybe this could be it. I'm only available the first weekend in March though, but if that happens to be when others are around I'm absolutely down. Happy to help out however I can too.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Coming to Alameda this fall!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    San Francisco, chiming in.

1. Always up for a group hang if transportation and timing allows.
    2. Daily schedule is usually pretty hectic, so it's typically best to follow someone else's lead.
    3. ...
    4. Unless the wife goes along (her schedule is crezzier than mine), I only have access to my moto, which is small displacement and geared more for trails than tarmac (I can get to about 65+, but that goes down with inclines/wind), so anywhere that doesn't require going up steep and/or twisty grades, and I'm good (ie, the route I've taken to Clearlake a few times, there's no way my bike would make it). I drove it to Mendocino once, no problem.
    5. March would be kind of tight because I'll be in Moab for a good chunk of it. Possibly on the extreme ends of the month - first or last weekend.
    6. Mostly car or moto camping, usually with access to potable water or more. A few dry camps. No hiking. My new overnight low is 18* with snow last December in Tahoe City.
    7. I do you have all the gear I need to sustain myself.
    8. The only limitation I can think of is access/transportation.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    If I could chime in for a second...

I know my advice here is totally unsolicited so please forgive me for intruding.

The Southern California group waffled around for years trying to get a group hang started until I stopped asking questions about availability, location, etc... and dug through responses to find a general idea of where people were.

After that I picked a location, set a date.

Once a solid date and location is set, people will try to work towards attending. While it is unfortunate that not everyone will be able to make every possible date, it seems to be more efficient to give people a date to shoot for a couple of months out.

You'll probably have a smaller turnout at first but if you make it a yearly thing it will grow.

We've went from about 10 participants to around 25 in 3 years.

Good luck, guys!

PS: If anybody wants to make the trip down to Southern California in April, you are more than welcome to attend ours.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    I agree that the "pick a location, set a date" is the best way to go about doing it. Even a simple "Hey everyone, I'm going ___ on ___, feel free to join me."

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccchans View Post
    Hi NorCal,

I'm from Sacramento and would like to get a group hang going on. I see we are relatively close to each other (a couple of hours apart). Being in between everyone, I have no problem travelling to the Bay in the west or the Sierras in the east. For now I suggest a simple one-nighter so that we can coordiante our schedules easier and people can see how they feel about particpating in these hangs. The first one will be in March, which hopefully gives people ample time to plan their own schedules. I have no prediction on how rainy it might be, but I am flexible with my weekends.

Alright down to some pre-logistics
    :
    1. Are you willing to attend a group hang one-nighter over the weekend? (This is just a head count, we will focus on date and location later)
    2. Are you willing to help organize the group hang? If yes, please see #3, else skip to #4
    3. What would you be willing to help with? (Communication emails, trail research, supplies. Let me know if I missed anything)
    4. Where shall we go? Oh the choices!
    5. Does March work for you? If no, what is your preferred second option. (This can be used for a subsequent hang)
    6. What is your experience? (Never stayed out in the wilderness before, done a few trails, ultralighter, PCT was a Piece of Cake Though, etc.)
    7. Do you have all the gear you need to sustain yourself? (Shelter, insulation, backpack, food, etc.) If not, what are you missing?
    8. Anything else we should know? (Allergies, injuries, limitations, etc.)

I understand there are those who bought a hammock to just chill in the park or at the beach. Once we settle this group hang, I'd be happy to jump in on helping plan the next one.

As always, LNT for life.
    1. YES
    2. Maybe
    3. Not sure
    4. Car camping for a start. I'm game for backpacking, but probably easier for everyone if we car camp.
    5. YES
    6. Long time backpacker, Hammocking for about a year
    7. YES, and extra stuff
    8. Nothing really.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

I'd like to get to a hang again. I've been unable to attend the last several because of caretaking duties, but now I'm free.

Finding a location for a NorCal hang seems hard because the middle ground is a big treeless valley. We either have to go to the east side, into the Sierra/Cascades, or to the west and the coast/coast range.

There have been several hangs at Boggs Mountain in Lake County, https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...archid=4573814, but the recent Valley Fire swept through there.

We tried a hang at Feather River Falls but the weather didn't cooperate in March. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eather%20falls

Here's a thread from a couple of years ago where much of this was discussed: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=feather

We need some scouting reports from possible hang sites. Once the 'where' is established, we can get into the 'when'. Or someone can just pick a place and time.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Mt. Diablo group campgrounds are almost completely open in March. I have no idea if there are enough trees to support a group hang. I can contribute a stand alone portable hammock stand (Acrete style) and will use either 1 or no trees myself. I'll use my NoGround pole(s) for support. If I use only one (one end to a tree) then the other that is in my personal stock can be used by another hanger to test it out.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Preston Falls is a good spot for a hang if you guys want to do something along a river. It's downstream from Yosemite's Hetch Hetchy Reservoir.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Preston Falls is a good spot for a hang if you guys want to do something along a river. It's downstream from Yosemite's Hetch Hetchy Reservoir.
    Along a river -- Thumbs up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast