DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by theclark5 View Post
    I like your diagonal idea. I have the material to do an integrated insulation but have not pulled the plug on sewing yet. I want to allow for some fabric stretch of the inside layer so it does not compress the insulation (climashield). My thought was to sew the climashield to the bottom fabric and then sew it to the inside layer but have about 2 inch more fabric on the outside to compensate for stretch. Also was thinking of having the bottom layer not extend all the way to the ends so I could sew a channel at each end with elastic so it could be vented if necessary. Any suggestions or comments
    Thanks! It made more sense to me than insulating the whole hammock. I live on Vancouver Island (west coast of Canada) so venting isn't really needed for me as our temps are pretty mild all year

Seems like you're on the right track to avoid compression! My plans are very similar; I'm going to lay in the hammock and have my wife (a seamstress) pin the insulation and ripstop to the hammock at my marks to make sure it doesn't compress.

Good luck! I think I posted this too soon because my order hasn't even shipped yet

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Subscribed... Please take photos as your project evolves; many are interested in how it turns out. I have been contemplating DIY'ing a hammock with the integrated insulation, so I am really curious for the lessons-learned, the good, the bad and the ugly from others that have done it before. Best of luck!

I made an Insulated hammock using Batting and all of it was out of Silnylon from Oware.. Make sure you set your stitch spacing as long as you can. I noticed my stiches were sort of close and the fabric seemed to thinned out where the stich lie. I have since put a strip of fabric across the seam to strengthen that area and it is fine but simply setting the stich to the longest one available would have made life easier and Lighter.... Have fun making yours DIY is a blast. Give it plenty of Sag so your Insulation can "loft" from the main Hammock.....

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Subscribed... Please take photos as your project evolves; many are interested in how it turns out. I have been contemplating DIY'ing a hammock with the integrated insulation, so I am really curious for the lessons-learned, the good, the bad and the ugly from others that have done it before. Best of luck!
    ditto

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Will do! I'm a semi-pro photographer so I should be able to document this well... That is if I can remember to take the time to photograph each step :P

I picked up some insulation yesterday! I really wanted to get APEX to have the known CLO value and a good idea of its temperature range, but shipping to Canada was atrocious. I went to my local Fabricland and browsed around the quilting section and ended up with some poly-down batting. It looks like a short weave so I'll have to do quilting loops (every 8" or so) but it has at least 5/8" of loft and seems to be fairly compressable... Plus it was only $13/m on sale 20% off! I think I'm going to do one solid layer and then a second layer at the bum and shoulder sections for a bit of extra warmth.

Can't wait for my fabric to arrive! It shipped on Friday but it hasn't made any progress yet.... The wait is excruciating!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    This is a pretty interesting concept. But it raises some questions. It's obvious you intend to use lighter material in the hammock build then add an underquilt for colder temps. What is the advantage if your carrying another underquilt? Since we live in much different areas of the world with normal temps most likely different, the following comment may not apply. Lately in the Indiana I find a light CS underquilt to much under insulation and have to move it to the side until late evening/early morning. This would not be an option if the insulation were sewn into the hammock. What happens when even a light insulation is to much?

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewMeredith View Post

Can't wait for my fabric to arrive! It shipped on Friday but it hasn't made any progress yet.... The wait is excruciating!
    I know the feeling I made an order last Thursday and it did not start to move until Monday. The first few days is always slow. I think some of the delay is because the destination is outside US so there may be some paperwork. My orders are always stuck at USPS RALEIGH for 2-3 days. This time I suspect there has been delays at RSBTR. From what I can see they got new supplies and the new 1.6XL just got in for the first time so my guess is they are working hard on a back lock orders.
    I guess you thread injector is on idle like mine
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter55 View Post
    This is a pretty interesting concept. But it raises some questions. It's obvious you intend to use lighter material in the hammock build then add an underquilt for colder temps. What is the advantage if your carrying another underquilt? Since we live in much different areas of the world with normal temps most likely different, the following comment may not apply. Lately in the Indiana I find a light CS underquilt to much under insulation and have to move it to the side until late evening/early morning. This would not be an option if the insulation were sewn into the hammock. What happens when even a light insulation is to much?
    Good questions! I live in Comox on Vancouver Island, BC, and our weather is VERY mild all year round... From Wikipedia: "Due to its position on a small peninsula surrounded by the waters of Georgia Strait, Comox Bay and the Courtenay River Estuary, Comox enjoys temperate weather year round: summer temperatures average 22C (72F) and rarely reach 30C (86F), while winter temperatures rarely fall below freezing." You can even see a graph of our high/low and average temperatures here: https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...olumbia-Canada

The idea with this insulated hammock is to get 3 seasons of use with lows down to about 8-10*C. This amount of insulation should still be comfortable in summer with no venting, considering overnight temps around 15-18*C once the sun goes down. I think it would be very rare that this small amount of insulation will be too much (similar to a mattress in the summer).

If I ever do winter camping in -10*C again (quite unlikely!), I can simply add a medium weight underquilt to my pack to extend the range of the built in insulation! These instances will be VERY rare though. The advantage of the insulated hammock is that the additional underquilt doesn't need to be as large since it is working with already existing insulation. The other advantage is that there is no possibility of getting a draft with sewn-in insulation, so a slightly lower temperature rating can be achieved with a given amount of insulative material.

I picked up 10' of #4 zipper yesterday! I couldn't find any #3 locally and didn't feel like ordering more online, but I'm glad it will be slightly more durable as I want this project to last a long time The zipper will extend 7' up one side, around the head-bend, and 3' down the other to allow the bug net to be "flipped" up and over the ridgeline for ease of entry/exit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    So my guess was correct, as in, your concept is based on your area and average temps. We're not so lucky here in the Mid West, or many other places in the US. Still rather new to Hammocking but have hung from MI to FL and several places in between. I've had to drop or move aside my DIY light weight summer quilt many times. But hey like they say HYOH, Hang Your Own Hang. Will be watching as this project develops for a different reason. I want to see how you design the pocket to keep from compressing the insulation and keep it in place. I am interested in DIYing an UQ that has the ability to add additional layers of synthetic insulation and can be used on any hammock I decide to take out of the gear room. Not gonna hijack your thread going off subject. Good Luck I'll be watching. Hunter

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewMeredith View Post
    The idea with this insulated hammock is to get 3 seasons of use with lows down to about 8-10*C. This amount of insulation should still be comfortable in summer with no venting, considering overnight temps around 15-18*C once the sun goes down. I think it would be very rare that this small amount of insulation will be too much (similar to a mattress in the summer).
    This is my exact plan as well. I am hoping to reduce a little weight as the hammock will act as the top layer of the underquilt. My concern is that I will get "bunching" of the climashield. Your thoughts MatthewMeridith?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast