Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
    I wish those UQ weren't so expensive! What is a cheaper alternative?
    The Holiday Inn

Seriously, grab some bags of Speer's down while its on sale (group buy thread) and then hit up Wally World for some 1 per yard fabric. Then sew (or find someone who can) an uq. Like Tight-wad said, you might be out about 130 bucks. The most expensive is the down and the most frustrating is the sewing, but if you really want to go into cold weather, I think you would be way ahead if you did the uq.

If money is a real issue, check ebay for old down sleeping bags. Cut one up and recycle the down into an uq. If your good, modify the sleeping bag into the uq.

Good luck either way.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    OK so i dont think i am a fan of pads in the hammock. I was so sweaty last night. I just dont like the clammy feeling on the pad. I still have yet to try sew a nylon pad holder and extender but idk.

Thinking of getting an Uq i know ill want a 3/4 or full uq but cant decide what to use. I would like to stay light, but the temp i need to reach is around 20* so that might be a little tough idk.

JRB seems great but not sure how well they will work with a speer, the speer snug-fit is a little $$$. Maybe a KAQ or Te-wa.
    Bushman, et al,

JRB quilts fit the Speer hammocks fine...The "We are out hiking sale" end tomorrow morning when we get to the shop...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ive had the same problem with pads--------sweaty and sliding around too much. I havnt tried it, but Ive heard that some people cut/drill holes in the pad to help with the condensation problem. Long term, a UQ is problably the way to go. If you sew, a synthetic UQ is pretty easy and cheap to make! Good luck!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Also, I loved the quote "you can have lite, you can have warm , you can have cheap, pick any 2!" Boy if that isnt the truth! That about sums it up! Good one!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Go to Wally World and buy their cheap fleece noninsulated sleeping bag and put your pad inside it. It helps with the condensation and sliding around.

I think a synthetic uq is the cheapest you can go that will be light weight. I made a 38* synthetic bag for like $70. Maybe ill just try making a synthetic uq, but i do believe and know that down conforms to the body better.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm not trying to dissuade you from the underquilts, but I made my SPE with moisture wicking fleece for the center pad sleeve and regular rip stop for the wings. The fleece wicks the moisture away and the Z-Lite stores it (literally)! The little egg shaped holes will have water in them in the morning. It doesn't slip around at all either. Pads are cheap and light, but bulky. I have been to 17degrees several times with my pad set up, which is the coldest I am likely to see in Central Texas.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Images
    Hogn8r, where you been?????? We've missed your knots!!!!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12