Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEFCON 5 Bugnet

DEFCON 5 Bugnet

I started typing this up as a reply to another person in another thread and I felt like I was hijacking a bit, so here's a quick walk through of how I put together my $10 mosquito net. It was my first bugnet, and I'm relatively new to my sewing machine, so I bought most of the stuff at Joann's on the cheap )always use the 50% off coupons!), so if I messed it up it was no big deal. Lash it, shock cord, and cord locks where the only things that didn't come from Joann's.

I wanted a net that completely encompasses the hammock so I can never be bitten no matter how much I flail in the night. I'm a very warm sleeper and wanted an option where I had bug protection without an UQ or UQ protector, or even a pad if it's super warm out.

And I know that this is heavier than a Fronkey style bugnet, but I'm not an ultralight packer. Also, I'm not sure how much it weighs, but I can weigh it when the weather gets better if you guys want.

Also, I know I'm not the originator of this design, and I know there's a similar commercial product out there, but I haven't seen a thread about this style -- though I'm sure I just missed it.

Without further ado:

I started with 6 or 7 yds of black matte tulle (wide - 108") from Joann's. I draped it over the hammock and cut it to a little longer than the length of the hammock. The lengthwise center of the fabric is the ridge line, and you should have 54" of bugnet hanging down on either side.

Next I hemmed two thin strips of ripstop -- I would guess about 2"x22" after the hem. I sewed a small grosgrain loop to this piece starting from the center of the strip facing to one side, so when the loop is folded lengthwise the grosgrain is sticking out as a guy point. See in the following picture at the very top of the ridgeline.

I folded this piece in half and centered it on the ridgeline and pinned it in place so that about 5.5" run down on both sides and the mesh is pinned between the fold. This will be the opening on each end to slide the bugnet on and off the hammock. Once this piece is sewn in place, I inverted the net and sewed the sides shut starting from the ripstop to the bottom of the net. Now, you should have a giant rectangle bugnet with two holes at the top to slide over the hammock, and the bottom should be completely open.

Run a piece of lash it or zing it through the nylon channel and add a cord lock. Once the net is over the hammock, cinch it up!

Next I used four safety pins to mark the four bottom corners. I attached lash it to the safety pins and guyed the net out just as if I were setting it up. This will open the bottom up into a rectangle. Measure this rectangle and cut a piece of tulle to fit it with a couple extra inches just in case. Invert the net and attach this piece keeping the safety pins in place so you can remember where the corners and line everything up. BUT, only attach three sides, the fourth will be a zipper. I used a 70" coil upholstery zipper from Joann's that's only a one way, and I put the zipper side in, and the flat side out. I recommend finding a proper 2 way zipper as it's hard to zip and unzip from the outside.

Next I sewed a grosgrain loop on the back two corners and a grosgrain loop at the ends of the zipper. The zipper was probably the trickiest part, just use LOTS of pins going perpendicular to the line of sewing and sew right over them.

Next, I added two tie asym tieouts where my head and feet go. I hemmed two squares of ripstop and sewed a piece of grosgrain to each one, then I sewed them in place, which is difficult because you have to feed all the net under the foot of the machine without snagging it.

Lastly, I attached shock cord to the two loops on the zipper, which makes getting in and out easier and loading easier. The zipper works better than I had imagined and isn't to difficult to close once you're inside. Oh, I did attach a lash it loop to the zipper.

The project wasn't too difficult, and I didn't really use super accurate measurements, I just kinda kept hanging the net up and marking where things go. Take your time and think things through before you sew it.

Things I might change:

1. I might consider a vertical zipper, dunno.

2. I definitely might make another version with a silnylon bathtub floor, that hangs all the way to the ground for my dog Buddy to hang out in away from the bugs. And for a place to put gear.
    Last edited by chefkeith; 07-16-2015 at 13:45.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    I likey. Nicely done. Thanks for the post. I like to think my dog would rather be bug free while he sleeps but alas, he doesn't like being in small tent like spaces other than to check and make sure there's no food.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nicely done good fellow.

Thanks! I'll be reinforcing the pullouts soon. I had lash it on there and it started to rip as I was getting out of the hammock this afternoon. Should have been shock cord. Doh!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great DIY project you have there! If I car-hammocked more often, or had a hammock without an attached bug net, I'd certainly want to do the same you've done. Might be in my future as I gravitate away from long hikes and more towards car-hammocking. Nicely done.

Thanks! That's mainly what I wanted is a car-camping setup. I go on a lot of disc golfing road trips and music festivals where we car camp during the HOT season. Wanted something super comfy.

Here's the old girl in action, car camping in Wisconsin.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    That's simply a superb setup you have. Something to be proud of. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch PolyD/ NylonD
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    Several
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Bling
    Nice! I like the idea of a bathtub floor for my gear. Always nervous about scorpions in my boots!

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    That is a really nice item -- and especially nice because you built it yourself.

Do many DIY'ers produce a second, identical item to have on hand in case their first one is damaged? Or do you expect to change your mind too soon? :7)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast