DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing

Help deciding, DreamHammock TB or WBBB-XLC

So, I'm planning on going on a back packing trip with my Dad, Brothers and Son next year in the Colorado High Rockies. I have a WBBB DL with a Superfly. Love it. I'd like to get an 11' hammock and pass on the WBBB to my son for this backpacking trip next year. I've been looking a Dream Hammocks Thunderbird, or a Blackbird XLC.

So here are my questions:

1. The WBBB has the shelf, can I get about the same storage inside a TB with the peak shelf and the ridgeline organizer?
    2. Can the Cinch Buckle suspension on the TB work the same as Brandon's on the WB where the buckles are on the hammock via a continuous loop and have a climbing carabiner on the end to clip to itself? I really like the simplicity of Brandon's webbing suspension

I'll also be getting another Super Fly to go with this new hammock, but with the price point of the TB and the XLC being so close, I'm really torn. I think I'd like to get the TB, but any help with the above questions would be helpful.

Thanks
    Lindrome

Ah, I was going to suggest renting a DH from UGQ but they only rent the Darien, I believe. Sorry I can't help with your questions!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I LOVE MY THUNDERBIRD!!!, You can do everything with the Tbird as you can with the wb as far as suspention goes,
    Y ou also have ALOT more in the options department, colors, fabrics, top cover vented or not, pack hooks for hooking up your underquilts (they come automatic with the Tbird), you can also have your zipper sliders anywhere you want.
    And you can get an extra wide hammock with the Hyper D and it's alot stronger than 1.7.
    Another thing is you can also add the peak shelf at one end or both and any size pockets you want, a beverage holder,,, i could go on and on
    and on and on

THUNDERBIRD2.JPG THUNDERBIRD.JPG

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    +1 Thunderbird..... it will be my next hammock

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Another question on the TB: The vented cover. Trying to figure out when that would come in useful. for the most part if it is cold enough to use the overcover the bugs are pretty much not out and I could vent by just unzipping the cover a bit. Thoughts?

Also, I like the simplicity of the cinch buckle and tree strap method, using carabiners or dutch clips. I would still need something at the end of the tree strap with whoopies to hang them from the strap. What do most people use? Carabiners, toggle/marlin spike. dutch hardware?

I only have ever used Brandon's Webbing suspension on a WBBB, so I'm trying to get a feel for how the whoopie slings would work and where the weight savings is.
    Last edited by Tangent; 07-21-2015 at 14:10.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You might be over thinking this purchase. I know I sure did before I committed.

Most of what you are trying to decide on intellectually really is a matter of personal preference. You need to try it and see how it fits YOUR NEEDS/WANTS/DESIRE.

I have a T. Bird I really like, I put Hammock Fan's Anchor on my T.Bird, simplified hanging for me. I like Brandon's suspension, however, I really like Hammock Fan's Anchor especially for my Ridgerunner.

Dream Hammocks are so easy to customize, the quality of my T. Bird is great, it has the Night Grid Camo, everything is well thought out, the only changes I would make if I were to buy another bird, I would add a peak shelf fore and aft. For my needs I would skip the pack hooks, my hair gets caught on them when getting in or out. However, I like the way the pack hooks hold my quilt in place.

My only problem with the T. Bird is the fact that I can not get out of it without help. Not the hammocks fault, I am short and getting shorter fault. Papa Smurf is trying to help me resolve my exit problems, which is above and beyond the call of duty.

I think I have tried just about all the hammocks by our cottage vendors, each one has its own character, I really think it is a personal choice, they are all excellent, some just fit a particular body better than others.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, the hammock itself part is blessed if you do, blessed if you don't. But knowing the rockies, some of the trees are thin, and good hanging spots can be limited. I would not do the whoopie suspension based on how it elongates your distance from hammock to strap contact point. Not sure about WB and DH, but if like on my 11' hammock, I can get the end of the hammock within a foot of each tree. And if I do that, I don't have to be as high up the tree (i.e. thin trees). After that, its just a matter of getting my 12' tarp in there, LOL.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I can't speak to the DH, but I love my XLC. Mine is super comfortable. From what I read the DH's are great, also. You probably can't go wrong with either one. There! Another expert heard from!!��

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Maybe over thinking a bit. I have a while before I'm going to pull the trigger and buy anyway, so I'm mostly trying to understand how the different suspensions work. I've only used the one, and am still learning. I hang my MMGB with whoopies and I attach them to the tree strap with carabiners. They are climbing biners and bulky and heavy. I'm just trying to understand how the whoopie suspension works on the TB.

I do like the looks of the peak shelf and was planning on getting at least one at the head end.

• + New Posts