Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    As others have already stated, you've got a hammock and suspension already...get yourself something to stay dry under (a blue tarp from Wal-mart can work, though something like a Kelty's Noah 12 will be lighter and nicer for not much more money), and get yourself something to stay warm with (you'd be surprised just how far a blue foam pad from Wal-mart and a cheap sleeping bag will take you). Now you'll be able to get out and actually try it out. The important part is to get out and find out if hammocking is for you. Focus on learning the basics and getting good with what you have before you start looking into buying the fancier, lighter, more expensive items.

As for researching purchases, the best option I know of is this: find a nearby group hang. There's a whole section of the forums dedicated to group hangs. Find one that's relatively close by to you, and go to it. You'll almost always see a wide variety of hammocks, tarps, quilts, packs, etc from many different vendors, and sometimes you'll get to meet some of the vendors directly (I've met folks from ripstopbytheroll.com, Jacks R Better, and Hammeck during different group hangs). Nearly everyone that shows up to a hang will have no problems showing you their setup, and most will be willing to let you try it out if you ask; the only times I've known people to not be okay with others trying out their stuff was due to weight restrictions for that particular hammock style/material. Group hangs are also nice because there's somebody to ask for help with whatever issue you're having, be it getting an underquilt adjusted correctly or figuring out how to pitch a tarp for better coverage.

Once you've decided that hammocking is for you, you've gotten comfortable with the basics and with your setup, you've gotten some hands-on time at a hang or 3 with different products that you were looking at, and you've got a better idea of what you're looking for, I'd suggest to keep an eye on the For Sale subforum here. It's a good way to find the gear you want slightly cheaper than buying it brand new, and there's not going to be a waiting period (remember, cottage vendors have to make the item before they can ship it to you, so depending on the season and their backlog of orders, it can be a month or two after you place your order before your item shows up).

Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    The first question I ask myself is "Why do I need/want it?", "What is my goal?"

Are you trying to reduce weight?
    Are you trying to camp in a different environment (desert, rain, snow)?
    etc.
    etc.

Then look at all your gear and figure out how to achieve it. Otherwise you are buying stuff just because you want it, not because you actually need it.
    And if you just want it, it really doesn't matter what you get.
    good advice.
    for me an under quilt was priority one, I am a cold sleeper and the pads didn't cut it for me or my grandsons, others love pads and they are cheaper so I would suggest you give one a try, a cheap one or one you can borrow in reasonable conditions.
    if you are a pretty avid backpacker I would go with a cheap tarp and set a goal of obtaining a cuben tarp when it is possible.
    the mistake I made was trying to keep a foot in both the tent world and the hammock world and financially it was a burden to me. some mistakes this lead to were buying a high dollar 0* bag for a deep winter trip to the Appalachians that fell through, the price of that one bag would have nearly paid for 3 top quilts. I do use the bag but it is about a pound heavier and much more bulky than a comparable top quilt so now I am looking at top quilts and spending again.
    I have several tarps, the lightest one that I have full confidence in during any weather weighs over a pound, it was a gift from a friend so no money went out for it but it isn't ideal for my goals and I did spend money on the other though they are with my grandsons gear so they will get well used.

buy once. if your hiking most of your trips consider that every time you look at gear, I didn't and now I have 3 barely used packs and am considering a fourth, four tents, five sleeping bags and God knows what else. had I stopped and thought a little instead of letting my enthusiasm get the better of me I probably would have cut my out lay by 2/3rds and still have been outfitted for ground or tree dwelling because a lot of hammock gear will do double duty in either instance.

I admit to being a gear junky but I am pretty tight with a buck and rarely impulse buy or buy just because it is on sale, what got me to loosen the purse strings was one to many nights cold. warm and dry, that's what it is all about.

good luck and happy hanging.

creek

Hammock
    10' Dutch PolyD/ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    CCF+0*Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for all the great advice from everyone.

It is nice to have some perspective on all of this.

For now Ill stick with what I have. I think I'll pick up a cheap REI poly tarp for this weekend. Its a short trip and the weight/size wont be a big deal.

Also, it isnt supposed to even rain and the weather shouldn't get below 50 or so, no reason to go buy a big huge tarp or crazy insulation or anything.

Then I can really just get a feel for what it is I need. See what works and what doesn't.

You guys just have gotten me so excited. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I hope you have some sort of insulation if it will be 50f.

Hammock
    10' Dutch PolyD/ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    CCF+0*Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    A 20* backpacking sleeping bag and a blue 1/4" ccf pad will work right? Am I going to be too cold?

Advice for a NOOB: Pulling the trigger on new gear

Quote Originally Posted by bbauer09 View Post
    A 20* backpacking sleeping bag and a blue 1/4" ccf pad will work right? Am I going to be too cold?
    You're not going to die. I'd tough it out, but why not try it before you go?

The tarp will cut some wind and make it more bearable.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbauer09 View Post
    Ive taken a walmart blue CCF pad and a 20 degree bag down to the 30s with zero issue, you should be more than warm at 50 degrees

Jon

Where I live there are a couple of gear stores that allow you to rent some different gear for a night or two. Maybe there's an option like that around you?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My only piece of advice is to get the best tarp you can afford. It can be one of the most important pieces of gear you own.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I see that AHE is going to have the jarbidge on sale starting tomorrow. Seems like a great value in an UQ, you may want to check it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast