diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles

DIY UQ

I picked up a poncho liner the other day for a warmer weather underquilt. I just am not satisfied. I will be buying an actual UQ at some point but that isn't really the point. I want to make it myself! I have looked at the thermarest tech blanket and snugpak jungle blanket but I can't seem to find a finished UQ to take a gander at. Is anybody making a warm weather UQ out of something else that doesn't require a lot of sewing (mine just took a crap and the ol lady isn't real keen on me getting another)?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think most DIY UQ's will require some sewing....the poncho liner being least amount of sewing. Hunter55 recently made a climashield UQ.... that wouldn't be as much sewing as a down UQ, but still a substantial amount. I've seen people modify cheap sleeping bags as well, you may want to look into that, that is probably the next best option from a poncho liner.
    My head is an animal

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i came upon a poncho liner and attempted to utilize it for a not-so-cold UQ as well and was also dissatisfied with the performance of the designs i found here and elsewhere. after seeing the cheapest TQ/UQ setup i could find i decided to revisit this PLUQ idea, so i laid it out and began the brainstorming process. im not a big guy (bout 5'9" 180 lbs) so i figured some tweaks that made the PLUQ a viable option for me. a few nights trial and error later and i am COMPLETELY satisfied with the way it satys under me and keeps me warm. one thing you can do to add a SIGNIFICANT boost to the warmth of your PLUQ is to add a mylar space blanket. those things seemingly generate warmth. any store like mkart or wallyworld have those, and there are high end 'survival' versions around. mine was like $3 at the big5. DIY is the way to go, because you may have to adapt what you purchase some amount anyway. www.ripstopbytheroll.com sells 7.5oz climbasheild and i'll add a layer of that to my PLUQ with the space blanket and test that out to deeper colds than my A/C can give me under guidance of the members of this forum here.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...l-blanket.html

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=53552

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by daveysnowis View Post
    I picked up a poncho liner the other day for a warmer weather underquilt. I just am not satisfied. I will be buying an actual UQ at some point but that isn't really the point. I want to make it myself! I have looked at the thermarest tech blanket and snugpak jungle blanket but I can't seem to find a finished UQ to take a gander at. Is anybody making a warm weather UQ out of something else that doesn't require a lot of sewing (mine just took a crap and the ol lady isn't real keen on me getting another)?
    Check out craigslist for cheap sewing machines. Some good ones can be had.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I bought yesterday two fleece blankets very cheap for about 5€ (I got a 70% discount during a going-out-of-business sale and the quality was good). With the first XXL blanket I made at once a TQ with a drawstring foot box with snaps and a drawsting channel with a button hole at head end. I can use it as a one-season TQ for hot summer nights or inside my CS-TQ in winter times. The other fleece blanket is black and has a 69" x 52" dimension, just right for an UQ. I can lay it between the layers of my hammock and tie the corners to inside loops. During the summer months this could be all I need. A perhaps better solution would be to sew on a windproof fabric shell on the outside of this fleece blanket. Then I would get an light summer UQ which I could use as an additional UQ-protector in winter times too. It's about 10" longer and wider than my CS-UQ but the pack size is much smaller.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    With the advice from Punkisdead and Boulderv7 the Climashield UQ I made a few weeks back was pretty simply. But there is no way to put one together w/o a sewing machine. Previously I had been using a PLUQ that stated out as a no sew before I turned it into a sewn PLUQ with a layer of standard Polyfill from JoAnns. This took me down to 43* in a backyard hang w little or no wind and honestly think it could go lower. Just haven't had the op to try it since the weather has warmed. My advice would be to find a used machine and take the dive. It's not that hard with all the advice here.

• + New Posts