2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Thumbs up Review of the Selk'bag Patagon

Greetings,

After doing a search of the forum I noticed there were no reviews specific to the Patagon (that I found anyway, and only the other models that were older threads)... so thought i'd share my experience here. IF there is already a review thread and I missed it please feel free to move this post into that thread : )

Here is the link to the manufacturer's website:
    selkbagusa.com/Selk'bag-Patagon

I'm 5'8" / 140 lbs soaking wet and a trim frame...my wife's been trying to put meat on my bones for 33 years but it hasn't worked yet : )

After looking at YT videos and reading size tips I decided to go with the large Patagon...it fits perfect!
    I do utilize full under armor type long john items as I would prefer not having body-dander/skin inside the bag for cleanliness sake. I also had on fleece socks. Temps were ~50f.

What I liked:

1) Freedom of movement. No matter where I was in my WBBB there was the Patagon surrounding me in comfort.

2) Adjustable cool/warm-ing vents/zippers... The 5 nights of my test hang were in the high 40's/low 50's. There were two mornings (~4am) that I slipped the bag's booties over my fleece socks on feet. Otherwise I slept comfortable with the leg vents open, the farmer john front unzipped and open for ventelation and my hands out of the sleeves for the most part. Sometimes I would just slip them inside the mit/hands for cozy sake.

3) Take the bag with you to the tree... It was no bother at all to relieve myself during the night if needed (late afternoon coffee?) with the bag. Simply unzip the farmer john front and easy to get the male parts out. I will say here that my wife would be more inclined to jump on one of the Patagon bags IF it had an appropriate rear-barn-door flap! Maybe in a future build. As it is currently built I see no benefit to the women of the group as they would have to take the bag off to go pottie in the woods.

4) Build quality. As nice as any I can personally compare it to such as my wife's Big Agnes bag.

What I would tweak..

1) Get that rear-barn-door-flap so my wife could have one too!

2) Incorporate some sort of hood-roll-sack/pocket if hood is not needed around camp or if you want it out of the way while sleeping such as a neck pillow?

3) Arm vents like ones incorporated in both legs.

4) CAMO!!! I'm sending Selk an email to put me on a list-to-buy IF they ever come out with a nice camo version. The black that I got shows any soil/stains just as any other black mountaineering product does , (

Overall very pleased with the Selk Bag Patagon and highly recommend it for the gents.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by accrete; 07-18-2015 at 07:45. Reason: a PS to add my under-armor use
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Good review.
    I'm currently sitting in my Selk bag at my computer, mine is the model down from the Patagon (no removable booties).
    I've tried sitting at the computer in a normal sleeping bag but I can't use my hands on the keyboard/mouse without baring my shoulders, with the Selk bag my shoulders are toasty warm with only my hands sticking out of the slits.

Currently it is mid-winter and this house is quite cold, rather than spending a fortune on heating I just keep as warm as I want to be in my Selk bag.

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Yuppers on indoor use too.. i'm going to include it in my arsenal this winter. We full time in a large toy-hauler 5th wheel, and while I can keep it cozy year round i'm an early riser (~5am ish) and will most likely put on the Pantagon instead of turning on any heat as my wife typically rises at ~8am.

Thom

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have long wondered about the Selk Bag/Hammock combo. Thanks for the review!

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    I received an email response from Selk' informing me they are indeed working on a CAMO version!! As soon as it is released its mine...and the black one will be used inside our full time rig.
    Last edited by accrete; 07-22-2015 at 08:25.

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders

I love my Selk'bag

When winter hit and our heater broke, I lucked out and found a near new Selk'bag Lite (1st generation) off eBay for $40. I absolutely LOVE it for chilly nights - so much nicer than fighting with a sleeping bag in the hammock. I have never had to wake up to adjust it during the night.

With a pair of thermals, a PLUQ and a Costco down throw, I've been very comfortable down into the 40's.

The much appreciated benefit of wearing it around in the mornings and staying cozy (at home or camping) makes this a truly multi-use piece of gear - that my other half doesn't count against my hammock expenditures.

The bathroom thing is only a minor annoyance for me, I make sure I dot drink too much beer before bedtime

The biggest con I have found is the hand covers aka built-in mittens. I have to say I absolutely HATE those things! I get a little panicky and even claustrophobic when I can't find the opening to get my hands out quickly, so I just use the keeper on them to keep them permanently out of the way. Someday I will probably remove them and turn it into a velcro cuff instead - but now I so rarely even remember they are on the suit, it dropped off my immediate need list.

Even with those 2 things I don't like, the no-muss, no-fuss continuous sleep is totally worth it. It certainly not something I use all the time - but it's an excellent piece of gear to have available. I would like to upgrade to the removable booties, but not for the $150+ it would cost - the barn door and removable hand/mittens could change my mind though

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Yeah, even for us guys, the rear door flap would be a benefit... I have a similar complaint about my rain gear, nothing worse than having a bathroom emergency, and knowing you still having to get out of all that stuff, hoping and praying you can get out of it in time.

• + New Posts