Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images

Pressure on my legs

Need info from everyone else's experience. I'm working on my 3rd DIY hammock. This one is giving me a little trouble. I'm using the "W" whipping method. I lay with my head to the left, feet to the right. I'm getting quite a bit of pressure against the left side of my left leg. The pressure is coming from the center line of the hammock. Ridgeline length is around 110".

Should I change the whipping method, maybe change the ridgeline length? Has anyone else had the problem?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Peg-leg.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    When I have gotten a little bit of leg pressure, it was when the ridgeline in my blackbird was yanked crazy tight. Pitching with a looser ridgeline greatly reduced it. Looser ridgeline = more sag, and is basically equivalent, for these purposes, to a shorter ridgeline.

I would suggest trying a shorter ridgeline. There are several posts on these boards about setting a hammock up with an adjustable ridgeline - that would be a good way to figure out the best length before you make it permanent. Good luck!

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I use the "W" whipping just on the foot end of my ENO and find it to be just right for me. As suggested try a shorter ridge line for starters.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I was getting pressure too. More sag = looser ridge line made it go away.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg-Leg View Post
    Need info from everyone else's experience. I'm working on my 3rd DIY hammock. This one is giving me a little trouble. I'm using the "W" whipping method. I lay with my head to the left, feet to the right. I'm getting quite a bit of pressure against the left side of my left leg. The pressure is coming from the center line of the hammock. Ridgeline length is around 110".

Should I change the whipping method, maybe change the ridgeline length? Has anyone else had the problem?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Peg-leg.
    That's similar to something I've experienced with my DIY hammocks, which have the ends cut off and adjustable strings added so I can fine-tune the sleeping angle. The more I loosen the strings at the right side of the foot end to lower my legs, the more pronounced is the ridge in the center that runs diagonally under my body, creating pressure on the left side of my left leg. It's a matter of adjustment, and there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution. Tightening up the strings a bit reduces, but doesn't eliminate the ridge. I've found a moderate position that's pretty comfortable, but my legs are just low enough to reduce pressure on my knees , not perfectly flat. Also I have some pressure on my left leg, but I've gotten used to it. For you, adjusting the W might accomplish something similar. Certainly try adjusting the ridgeline length to see if it helps, but it may not. How wide is your hammock? My latest ones are cut from 65" fabric, but the end strings let me angle it so the effective width of the bed is greater. I have surmised that the perfect hammock has string all the way around the edges. and the sleeper lies perpendicular to the ridgeline! (I'm not sure how you'd get into it - probably bottom-entry.)
    David

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    To cure the cut-across-the-leg, you must shorten the ridgeline,
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Shorten the ridgeline. Try about 100"
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Peg-leg,
    Those folks saying "shorten the ridgeline" are right on the money. A little hasty back-yard comparison testing suggests that it helps my adjustable hammock, too. I've found so much useful information on this forum that I'm switching to the "donating member" category. Thanks to all.
    David

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

Sounds like you're correct on this. I did notice the pressure was much more pronounced when my ridgeline was tighter. I'll shorten it and report back.

Thanks everyone for all the great info!!
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

• + New Posts