Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Side sleeper /through-hiker

Hi there,

I'm trying to make that final decision on an UQ. I've got the temperature figured out, but not the length, and I'm wondering about down.

I'm 5'7.5" and have moments of laying out on my back, but then tend to turn onto my side for most of my sleep.

I'm really not interested in foot pads. So...

Using HG as an example, I've looked at the short (73"), which I know would cover me, but would it be worth it to go shorter, since I'm a side sleeper (not too tight)? And what would a good full coverage for a side sleeper look like? I'm a bit of a gram weenie, but I know warmth is not a good place to be cheap, therefore I really want to be realistic about this.

Figured this out: Also, I'm wondering about down. If I just went out for a weekend, or a week, no problem, but what about if I'm gone for 2 weeks to a month? Should I be concerned about the down maintaining it's loft? Keep in mind, as a through-hiker, I'm packing it up pretty much every day.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 07-20-2015 at 18:38.

Hammock
    dutch 11' nylonD
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL 3/4
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I am 6' and with the wilderness logics 3/4 uq. It covers me from shoulder to mid calf when laying flat. If i turn to my side and bend my knees up a bit it easily covers shoulder to ankle on me. I don't know the measurement off the top of my head but I know its shorther than 73". At 5'7" I would think that a 3/4 from any of the cottage guys would work for you.

I am planning an AT through and down is what I am taking. My hope and experience so far has shown me that I don't get as wet while in a hammock, and down shouldn't lose its loft unless stored compressed for extended periods.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Thanks jbmundy. UGQ Has both a 55" and a 66". I wonder if it's the 55" or not?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    I'm a complete noob when it comes to through hiking as well as Down UQ....But I have DIY'd a summer quilt out of Climashield. Reason being was simplicity and the ability of CS to work even when wet. Most recently I spent three days in the Charles Deam Wilderness. Second night brought the threat of thunderstorms and wind. Buttoned down my tarp for the worst but at 3:00am I had a ridgeline failure that left me holding my tarp in place till the wind died and I could fix it. Needles to say I got wet and my UQ, while not completely soaked, did suffer from direct rain and splash. The weather was no where near cold enough to worry much. I crawled back in wetter than the UQ and stayed comfortable the rest of the night. I guess my point is as long as your system holds be it hammock or tent all should be well providing you have the right equipment to start with. On a week or month long trek in places like the AT were weather can be challenging, I'd prepared for the worst case scenario. A soaked Down QU could prove to be miserable to the point your journey may be cut short. Or worse it could be "down" right dangerous. No pun intended.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I think that pun was completely intended.

That's just it, in a situation like that, and now that most vendors are using water resistant coatings now, is it more a matter of hanging the down quilt in the sun and hitting it a bit to shake the down loose?

My sleeping bag is synthetic for the very reasons you stated, and in 20 years, the last two being in a hammock, I have never been in a situation where it's gotten wet, and it's a rare moment I go out for anything shorter than 2 weeks. I'm big on site selection though, so I think that has helped hammock-wise.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    Your absolutely right on the technology of both Down and shell materials now a days. I'm guessing it's an ongoing discussion as far as pro's and cons to both. I think it's more of a personal preference anymore. I'm sure someday I'll DIY a down quilt for the challenge and to say I have one. Hope your AT trip is awesome. It's on my bucket list to do a piece someday.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    No AT here. I just wander through crown land here in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I just read various faq's and it seems the compress/un-compress daily shouldn't be problem, so now it's down to side sleeping length. Anyone near my size sleep on their side?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    Your right your post had nothing to do with Down vs Synthetic! I'm 5'-8" and a restless sleeper..... never know which way I'll end up in the morn. I've only experienced the DIY sewn PLUQ and a summer climashield UQ I made this yr. Both are in the 64"-66" range and while laying at full length my feet are not covered or in this case inside the quilt. (This is with the top of the quilt at the shoulder) When I do end up on my side (in a partial fetal position) I have complete coverage. I've taken this light quilt to 43* and all I needed was some polar fleece socks and a SnugPack Jungle blanket for a top cover. I slept comfortably in shorts , tee and the socks. Should mention I'm a warm sleeper too. Just to get a better idea, you might try laying out a measuring tape on the floor or bed, lay beside it, measure your length (shoulder to toes) while in a side sleeping position. You can always use extra outer clothing you'd be carrying in colder weather to do double duty and wrap around your foot area. Or if it's that cold a good TQ with foot box should cover you.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    No AT here. I just wander through crown land here in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I just read various faq's and it seems the compress/un-compress daily shouldn't be problem, so now it's down to side sleeping length. Anyone near my size sleep on their side?
    I'm a side and belly sleeper, but largely find that I end up on my back in a hammock. It always takes a few nights of training, and I snore more. I still find it a better nights rest then sprawling off my pad on my belly. (I can't even side sleep on a pad.)

For length I have a 60" that comes mid calf. If you don't want a foot pad you can always put your fleece or something under your feet (I use mine as a pillow instead and use a reflectrix sit pad for my feet.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter55 View Post
    Your right your post had nothing to do with Down vs Synthetic! I'm 5'-8" and a restless sleeper..... never know which way I'll end up in the morn. I've only experienced the DIY sewn PLUQ and a summer climashield UQ I made this yr. Both are in the 64"-66" range and while laying at full length my feet are not covered or in this case inside the quilt. (This is with the top of the quilt at the shoulder) When I do end up on my side (in a partial fetal position) I have complete coverage. I've taken this light quilt to 43* and all I needed was some polar fleece socks and a SnugPack Jungle blanket for a top cover. I slept comfortably in shorts , tee and the socks. Should mention I'm a warm sleeper too. Just to get a better idea, you might try laying out a measuring tape on the floor or bed, lay beside it, measure your length (shoulder to toes) while in a side sleeping position. You can always use extra outer clothing you'd be carrying in colder weather to do double duty and wrap around your foot area. Or if it's that cold a good TQ with foot box should cover you.
    Thanks Hunter55, that was helpful. It's good to get perspective.

I did measure a few days ago, but I was in my Mayan, and the diagonal is much larger, so all I got was 50" fully stretched out! I'll have to try again in my Freebird. I'm sure it will be very different. In fact, I'll do that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    I'm a side and belly sleeper, but largely find that I end up on my back in a hammock. It always takes a few nights of training, and I snore more. I still find it a better nights rest then sprawling off my pad on my belly. (I can't even side sleep on a pad.)

For length I have a 60" that comes mid calf. If you don't want a foot pad you can always put your fleece or something under your feet (I use mine as a pillow instead and use a reflectrix sit pad for my feet.
    Thanks!

Yeah, for the first month or so I ended up on my back snoring for 11 hours a night (wow!), but as a full-timer, I got sneaky and figured out how to turn in my sleep. And it's easier in a nylon hammock. So, now I find I end up on my back with my legs twisted to the side. I don't know if the snoring has persisted, but at least I haven't woken myself up!

That's an idea with something else under there, but again I was hoping to not have to deal with that since I change position and would prefer to sleep all the way through the night. My plan is to have a shorter UQ for the warmer months and then if I find I'm getting the urge to go out in colder (around freezing or below) temps, then get the full short length 0˚ UQ. The nights never seem to get warmer than 50˚F here though, so I thought at least have one I could curl up and tuck my feet onto.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast