1 season apex climashield / argon quilts

I used .9 argon and 3.6 apex climashield on these quilts. The top quilt is similar to a Hammock Gear quilt. 84" x 56" with a half taper. It has 5 snaps and a drawcord footbox and a drawcord and single snap at the head end (I love a large quilt and it comes in useful in a bridge hammock since they have are much flatter than a gathered end hammock). The under quilt is a full-length Lynx'ish size and shape for the Ridgerunner. All supplies bought from Dutch.
    Last edited by TNhunter; 07-20-2015 at 20:18.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks cleanly built. What patterns did you use?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sweet looking quilts. How is the climashield to work with?
    My head is an animal

One thing is for certain - making a quilt with climashield is about 10x easier than making a down quilt. And at the finished weights of the quilts and the temp ratings I'm not certain I'll EVER make another down quilt ever.

For the channels in the ends of the top quilt I simply rolled them over and ran a stitch - but first I had sewn a button hole to route the cord and sewed the cord down on each side. You have the be really careful sewing this channel and not catch any loose nylon under the stitch. I wound up having to rip some stitches and resew :-(.

For a pattern for the bridge under quilts I had previously made a winter down quilt that was my interpretation of the Lynx under quilt I have. I used it for the pattern. Laid it down and traced around it about 1" outside of the edges of it. I didn't use a pattern for the top quilts. I had notes of all the measurements I had made while making a down top quilt with the same dimensions. Simply cut the nylon to the desired length (84") and then measure down 42" to get the center point and then measure in 6" from the edges of the foot and then mark a line and cut the half taper.

If I was going to make several of these I'd make a wood or or stiff cardboard template. Cutting the materials took about as much time as sewing the quilts.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    I've never worked with down before, but I agree working with climashield is super simple. The hardest part for me was keeping the climashield fibers from getting caught on the presser foot. I ended up making a cover for the presser foot out of thin cardboard. It still got caught every once in a while, but it helped a ton.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did all my sewing Climashield down

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    I don't know why I didn't actually try that. I was worried about it not feeding right or getting caught in the feed dogs. I'll at least attempt it next time.

In my TQ thread you said you were making 2 sets is the other set gonna be the same?

Yes both sets are identical materials and sizes. I have the second top quilt finished all except the snaps and I have everything cut for the second underquilt. Just need to sew it.

Underquilt fits like a glove without any drawstring cordage through an end channel. If this was a winter quilt I believe I would add a little differential cut in the layers of nylon with the outside being a couple inches longer and 1-2 inches wider and then add a couple darts.

Photos with my son in the hammock to add a load to see how it fits. Shock cord and a line lock on the end allow for venting on the hot TN summer nights.

Last edited by TNhunter; 07-24-2015 at 08:02.

• + New Posts