Thread: Harvesting down

Harvesting down

I am contemplating my first set of DIY TQ/UQ's.
    I found on my local craigslist two full size comforters with original packaging stating they are filled with 650 fill power goose down.
    They are asking $30 a piece for the comforters.
    The question I have is, after seeing videos of people harvesting down from jackets and such found by similar means, can anyone give me an estimate on how many ounces of down may be in a full size comforter? and if $30 is "reasonable" knowing I intend to repurpose the fill?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY 1.9 RipStop,
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    FOYLE, DIY OT 32*
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Being very careful, I got 26 ounces of 800fp from mine. Since all quilts are different, YMMV.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Thanks Backpackerguy. After posting the question on here I was able to find the detail about the quilts online. The maker states the quilts are stuffed with 34 ounces of 650 fill. Both quilts for $60 would yield 68 ounces (not figuring loss) which wuold be less than $1 and ounce!

Images
    Just built two top quilts with harvested down. You are looking sub 2 pounds. I harvested three bed quilts. One around 650 down the others less around 400. I also harvested an old 0 degree bag with fill weight around 650 also. It had fantastic down, but did have about 10% feathers, I had to pick through. You will not get your 18oz quilt, but will get a respectable 30 oz quilt.

Images
    A good way I found to harvest was to put a trash bag snug around a trash can, cut one side of your square or baffle open and then shake out the down. Pull the last handful out and go to the next square or baffle.

Hammock
    Bridge DIY
    Insulation
    850 Down - 5 UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie - Amsteal
    Found huge success with pillows from Amazon! Read the specs and make sure it is actually Down and not Feathers. I have gotten several that are 95% Down. Usually I can get 2 pillows with free shipping (Prime Membership) for under $30. The pillows are 32oz each and easier to deal with than a quilt. Good luck!

^Any idea what the fill power the down would be? I would assume it would be a lower fill power?

Hammock
    ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I would just look at going through downlinnens.com and getting a lower fill power if $ is the big issue. The time you spend looking for cheaper low quality down could be spent making cool things!