WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm fortunate that I don't have any issues with getting to sleep in my hammock unless it's hot and humid. I tend to get to sleep faster and sleep much longer in my hammock. I believe it's because I'm usually more physically tired in the woods and coupled with the tranquil sounds of the piney woods (especially if by flowing water) I'm usually out like a light in no time. I've nicknamed my hammock "The Anesthetizer".
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Here's the problem as I see it...you are over thinking it. When you "think about sleeping" it is very hard to fall asleep. It seems to me the reason people have trouble at first is that they are thinking and focusing too much on falling asleep. Like a "watched pot never boils" so to with sleeping in a new environment. I can fall asleep sitting upright in a less than comfortable chair in the middle of the day but put me in a hammock when the pressure is on to get some sleep so I can get up early and guess what? Wide eyed! Like a kid before Christmas or a trip to Disney...cannot sleep because he has to.

It sounds too simple I know but really, just stop focusing on laying just right and fiddling with your sleeping bag or underquilt or whatever and just relax. Focus your mind on whatever you like to imagine and let go. Sleep will come. Then after a few nights your subconscious will begin to associate the hammock with sleep and it will come easier and easier. It's not about side sleeping or whatever position...it's all in your state of mind.

Best of luck and sweet dreams!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Here's the problem as I see it...you are over thinking it. When you "think about sleeping" it is very hard to fall asleep. It seems to me the reason people have trouble at first is that they are thinking and focusing too much on falling asleep. Like a "watched pot never boils" so to with sleeping in a new environment. I can fall asleep sitting upright in a less than comfortable chair in the middle of the day but put me in a hammock when the pressure is on to get some sleep so I can get up early and guess what? Wide eyed! Like a kid before Christmas or a trip to Disney...cannot sleep because he has to.

It sounds too simple I know but really, just stop focusing on laying just right and fiddling with your sleeping bag or underquilt or whatever and just relax. Focus your mind on whatever you like to imagine and let go. Sleep will come. Then after a few nights your subconscious will begin to associate the hammock with sleep and it will come easier and easier. It's not about side sleeping or whatever position...it's all in your state of mind.

Best of luck and sweet dreams!
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm focusing on sleeping way too much. I'll let you guys know how the next time out goes.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I feel your pain. I just recently became an indoor hanger. I could not get to sleep either. I decided to just keep plugging away at it. I read similar comments as here about some of the frustrations but I have back issues and I was told hanging would help with that. I analyzed the situation ( I too am a side sleeper) and just kept trying different things. It took about a month, but now I can sleep well and thru the night. (except for my usual bathroom trip ). I love it and wake up pain free. Don't give up. I know it can be frustrating but it is worth it. I repeat...don't give up....Your day will come too.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Maybe try slightly different hang angles and degrees of off-axis-ness? It seems like even 1-2 degrees in either can make a big difference.

As a fellow side-sleeper, I didn't have a problem adjusting once I figured out that you're supposed to lay off-axis. Sometimes I wad up an extra layer as a pillow, sometimes not; either way, generally a hammock leaves me less feeling like my neck is kinked. And I have come to enjoy the variations that are possible in a hammock -- half-side/half-flat, three-quarter turn, etc.

I once fell out of my hammock when I hung it on trees too close together and the sides were not taut. My head and/or feet kept flopping out, I fell asleep anyway, and woke up on the ground. (The whiskey we drank might also have had something to do with it...)

The night noises and general excitement of whatever else is going on would often cause me to not sleep in a tent. So far, my hammock trips have involved enough cycling that I'm good and tired.
    Last edited by KBr00ks; 07-21-2015 at 18:53.

Hammock
    WBBB/Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    I can't sleep in my bed at home most nights. Hotels, forget it. Not sleeping at all in a hotel bed. I know I have issues! For some reason when I get in my hammock, all is right with the world and its hard not to fall asleep. Especially after a day in the woods hiking. I also sleep on my side in a bed. In a hammock, I sleep on my back most of the night. Keep at it and you will probably get used to it. I took a lot of naps in my hammock before trying to spend the night in one. When all else fails, there is always benadryl.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am a side or stomach sleeper in my bed and a back sleeper in my hammock and sometimes will be a side sleeper. Rarely have a problem falling asleep. My problem is that I don't want to get up in the AM because I am so comfortable.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I am a side or stomach sleeper in my bed and a back sleeper in my hammock . . .
    Same here however I have knee troubles. I never slept well in my hammock until I started putting my clothing bag (about 5" dia. x 20" long) under my knees. As a side benefit, this tends to help close the gap (cold spot) that sometimes forms between the hammock and the underquilt opposite my legs.
    I also use ear plugs to shut out those little noises and benadryl due to allergies.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I also use ear plugs to shut out those little noises
    so you can't hear folks complaining about your snoring....or was it me they were yelling at to stop snoring
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I sleep on my left side at home can't go to sleep on my right side or back. Its the same in a hammock for me. I also carry Tylenol pm and ear plugs. If my mind is racing I put it to sleep! Lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast