Hammock bed issues?!

Hello all,
    I'm looking to either build or purchase a hammock stand to hang my trek light double hammock for every day sleeping. Any suggestions on the best stand to look for if the room is only 10' wide? I have looked into different designs, but they all seem much too big. I can't drill into the walls, and I'd rather not have a huge stand sitting diagonally across my room, but not sure if my hammock would work on a stand only 10' long. I'm also open to getting a smaller hammock if that's my best option. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This is probably the most space-saving stand: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/p...ck-pipe-stand/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flowwithwaves View Post
    Any suggestions on the best stand to look for if the room is only 10' wide? [...] not sure if my hammock would work on a stand only 10' long. I'm also open to getting a smaller hammock if that's my best option.
    Your 10' long hammock has to be hung with some sag; e.g. my 10' hammock has a ridgeline length of 100" - so a 10' distance between the anchors should be fine. You should even be able to hang an 11' or 12' hammock.

You can also go from wall to wall to not have to add any more bulk to a smaller area. If you are heavier like me and need assurance, you can install brackets on each wall to hold a pole or piece of wood going across the room from wall to wall to support the inward forces. Without the pole, this is would be ideal as you can unhook the hammock when not in use to free up that portion of the room.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    He did say he can't drill into the wall.

Sorry. Coffee has not kicked in yet.

excellent, thank you! how high are your side rails? I made a turtlelady bamboo stand and made the mistake of cutting the side poles at the height the ridgepole was supposed to hang from, so i lost about a foot and a half when i finished the tripods... im no carpenter.
    The best situation for me would be a stand like this http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hammock-Stand/ Would it work/be sturdy if I made the sides height 5' and the overall length 10'? All the measurements and trying to get the hammock to hang right for sleeping is makin my head spin

excellent, thank you! how high are your side rails? I made a turtlelady bamboo stand and made the mistake of cutting the side poles at the height the ridgepole was supposed to hang from, so i lost about a foot and a half when i finished the tripods... im no carpenter.
    The best situation for me would be a stand like this http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hammock-Stand/ Would it work/be sturdy if I made the sides height 5' and the overall length 10'? All the measurements and trying to get the hammock to hang right for sleeping is makin my head spin

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    that should work if you get the measurements right. the only concern i have with that style of stand is the beam underneath you if there is any type of failure. landing on the floor may hurt, but not likely to hurt like landing on a beam.

you should also check out the turtledog stand thread. Ok to make it too tall and have to cut the legs later, much harder to lengthen the legs afterwards

Or you could make a hybrid of a wood stand with metal support pole. there was a thread here where someone mentioned putting up posts in the corner of the room (not attached to wall, but with some spreader feet along the side walls) and then a bar between the two posts. either hang from the posts if the bar will keep the posts from pulling inward, or hang from the bar (near the top of the posts, too far in from the supports will cause it to bend)
    Since you aren't attaching to wall or ceiling you primarily need to make sure the end supports won't pull in on top of you, thats what the bar in the turtledog stand does.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    my wall anchors in (what used to be called) the bedroom pull in on the walls some, one stud in the frame flexed so much i was forced to reinforce it with an additional 2x4, and i think i need to add one on the opposite side of the wall as well. admittedly, the walls in this house are old, and a freshly built home (within the last ten or so years) have studs that likely will not flex one must keep in mind that there is a lot of force being exerted on a stud in a wall with an anchor in it. for me, the crossbeam option is out because i utilize the extra space provided by removing the bed. two holes predrilled into two studs are seriously easy to permanently repair, the anchor solution ought to be re-evaluated IMHO.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts