Odd questions about hammocks/hanging

Hello, I am new to hanging/hammocks, going to be doing some long-distance.

Something I was wondering --- what are the concerns of hanging during moderate to severe thunder/lightning storms?

Also, this never seems to get mentioned in any of the posts I was browsing --- what is the ideal type of cord to use for ridgelines, guylines or other tarp suspension systems? Paracord, etc? I want to get something neon and eye-catching but not sure what is the best type of cording, how much stretch is acceptable? does it even matter?, etc.

And lastly, I'm using a Skeeter Beeter Pro, quoted by Dejoha for having weak attachments where the bug-netting attaches to the ridgeline... if the attachment loops were to rip, would there be any practical way to repair them on the field, i.e. super glue, tying the net before the hole with an overhand knot, sewing, etc.? Also any tips on field (or home) repairs for small (or large) holes in bug-netting?

My plan was to bring 20 feet of ridgeline, and (6) five-foot cords (or guylines) for fastening the tarp (GT Funky Forest), and 6 Shepherd-hook stakes... also (2) five-foot lengths of webbing straps in case of farther tree distances, and two extra aluminum climbing carabiners.

Any feedback is welcome, thank you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a series of tarp tutorials that may give insight......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    I like this line.....http://www.tttrailgear.com/spectra-no-tangle-guy-line/
    Others like dyneema and such.
    Paracord stretches and absorbs water but will do if that is all you have.

Lightning?..........read up on lightning precautions and use your own judgement. If it is striking very close by go hunker down in a low spot and crouch on a pad on ground without roots. http://www.wildbackpacker.com/wilder...ghtning-storm/

Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't think people really think the lightning question through very well. If you don't want to be amongst the trees during a lightning storm then you would have to pitch a tent in the middle of an open field. Now.. where would you rather be? Open field? Cover of trees? hmmm..... I know my choice every time. When you start looking at the force of the lightning and the dynamics of injury a tent offers no better protection from flying shrapnel than a hammock tarp. The woods can be a dangerous place. You pays your money and takes your chances. But IMO a hammock is no less protective than a tent. In addition... assuming you make it through the night... you are above the puddles and mud in a hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    For ridgelines, I really like dynaglide. It comes in bright orange and super bright green. For suspension, I like either amsteel whoopie slings, or cinch buckles. Both work great.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

For me...

For lightning concerns, it is really a site specific question. For rules of thumb, avoid hanging from the two tallest trees, if there is evidence of a lightning strike nearby pick another site (it hit there for a reason the first time, and that is a likely spot for it to hit again), and try to hang in an area where the trees are fairly uniform in height (ie, an aspen grove). Lightning tends to strike at the outliers, like the one tree that's twice as tall as the rest in the area, the lone tree on the ridge, etc. take precautions and pick your site wisely.

There are a few different ways to go for ridge line and tie out cordage. A lot of people like to use Zing it or lash it. You can find it on Dutch's site, as well as DIY Gear Supply and Ripstop By The Roll. Lightweight and strong. They don't hold knots as well as other line, and aren't as bright as you can get, but it seems like they work well. I personally like using Glowire from Lawson, available on the same sites. Lights up like crazy when any amount of light hits it. Makes it easy to see in the dark. It holds knots well, has little stretch, and is easy to work with. My other experience, from using on my ground tarp, is with the Zpacks Zline. I use the 1.25mm in yellow. This stuff is super bright, holds knots pretty well, and is crazy light. A little harder to deal with than the Glowire (~2.3mm) for sure, just because it is so thin. But, it is nice and stiff and surprisingly tangle resistant.

My personal suggestion would be to see if you have an Army/Navy Surplus nearby. The ones I have checked out all have 2mm(ish) line that has reflective tracers in it, comes in a bunch of colors (including bright orange and green), knots well, and only costs about $7 for 50ft. If I had known about this stuff before purchasing Glowire, I would not have ordered the glowire. Here is a link.

Also, I have had decent luck with using braided mason's line. It comes in very bright colors. Knots decently, dirt cheap. you need to make sure you get the BRAIDED stuff though. The other type just comes unraveled. It stretches more than I like though. Check here.

My general principals in what to use for tarp tie outs are as follows: strong enough to do the job, light enough to not weigh me down, easy enough tie knots in, easy enough to see, doesn't absorb much water, cheap enough to not break the bank, and it has to look good enough. The devil is in what is "enough" for your particular purposes?

As for ridge line, is that a 20ft continuous ridge line? Or two 20ft lines, one on each end of the tarp? or to 10ft lines on each end of the tarp? I am in CO and am sure that my tree options look different than yours do out in NH, so someone else would be better equiped to advise on cordage for the RL.

If all you have is para cord, you could make it work. I would definitely suggest setting up your tarp several times in your back yard or a park before taking it into the field. This will get you familiar with setting it up, and provide some personal experience with what cord works well for you.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Lightning comes up every now and then - it's so rare that there isn't a lot of "scientific" info, just common sense. Some people obsess about it, though.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lightning

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lightning

As for a ridgeline, I don't think 20 ft. is long enough for a continuous ridgeline. Personally, I go with 30 to 35 ft. of Zing-It 1.75 mm. You definitely want to stay away from anything that will stretch like nylon.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts