Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It is Bear Tree. Group sites are described in the last couple of sentences in the Facilities paragraph on the website. They are semi-primitive. Vault toilets and a hand pump well. Regular toilets and a shower are about 300 yards away from the 4 group sites.

Images
    As far as I can tell, Reserve America is handling all of VA's park reservations. Their site seems to be a joke, or is broken. I can't tell.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I believe they are booked the weekend we are going.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post

How is the car ride up to grayson? Another complaint was if they pulled the trailer it was all winding roads and tight.
    We pulled our popup camper there once and it was fine. It is curvy but you have to drive those same roads to get there anyway.
    Looks like it may be moot though if its all booked up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Yeah, reserveamerica is a pretty poorly coded website, and not much fun to deal with over the phone. Unfortunately, they handle the reservations for VA state parks...

As for info on the park itself, a good site to check is the Friends of Grayson Highlands page (http://www.graysonfriends.org/index.html) as well as the official VA DCR page for the park (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...al_information). The only group site I know of is next to (and slightly behind) the camp store. The group site has flush toilets and water available within 100 feet, with a bathhouse about 500 feet away.

The road to the park is curvy, but not extremely so...more like the Blue Ridge Parkway, less like the roads in the Cherokee/Little Switzerland section of the Smokies (if you've never driven there, the best way I can describe it is that somebody dropped a crumpled piece of string on a map and said "turn that into a road")

A good person to ask on this would be mlholland, she's one of the head rangers out there at Grayson Highlands SP.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    We pulled our popup camper there once and it was fine. It is curvy but you have to drive those same roads to get there anyway.
    Looks like it may be moot though if its all booked up.
    bear tree is booked. grayson group site is still open.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    bear tree is booked. grayson group site is still open.
    Grayson group site has 4 or 5 pads for tents and 4 or 5 picnic tables. The rest of the site is sloped downhill from the pads. There are some other openings for other tents and lots of trees for hammocks
    There are 2 ways to get there; US 58 up from Damascus (winding and twisting all the way, about 45 minutes minimum) and US 58 from the east side (VA/NC border area). I prefer coming thru NC to Elkin and cutting across from there. NOT nearly as winding but there are plenty of ups and downs (Blue Ridge Mtns for sure). Check the Grayson Fall Festival hang threads (2011, 12,13, and 14) for camp site photos and driving directions. See here for this years thread:https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-gt-Sept-25-28
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Images
    I usually take the exit onto 21 at Elkin from 77 but if you keep heading north and go through Galax, you skip all the obnoxious turns through Roaring Gap.

You also get some great views of the New River.

This probably works out better if you want a nice meal as Galax is probably the closest town of any size on the way back. The detour probably adds ~15 minutes or so.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    I read the title and immediately thought of this

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slap strap & hook
    My camping group has stayed at The Creeper Trail Campground at Whitetop several times. It is about a mile past where you start at Whitetop. You can start at the campground and shuttle back from Damascus. It is not as nice as Grayson but it is extremely convenient for the Creeper Trail and seems popular with scouts. It has a group area that has always had scout troops there when we went. No hammock spots there but I have hung up the hill in the individual sites. It is located on a Christmas tree farm which is kind of interesting. It has a bathroom and showers. They even rent bikes there if you need any. Sorry I just entered this thread. I have been very busy and have not been on here in a while.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast