Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

A little creeper trail help?

My troop is planning on going to do the Creeper Trail in VA. For some reason ( I am not quite sure yet) they have done this before but stayed at Stone Mountain park. Either way I look at it , we are doing the down hill version and I am not sure if you start or end in whitetop, its 52 + miles to and from.

My question is wouldn't Mt. Rogers or Greyson Highlands be a better fit?
    From what I gather they like Stone Mountain because they have been there before, but I plan on trying to change that.

We would be looking for a camp location that could support about 30-40 people. We will pull a trailer for our gear. Bathrooms, running water, electricity, showers all will be bonuses. I, of course, would prefer to have hammock friendly sites.

As always any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Not sure how close to the Grayson Highlands SP the VA creeper trail goes, but if it gets close enough, the group site there would be an excellent fit for what you're describing. Bathrooms, running water, limited electricity, and a showerhouse are all available there. It's where we do the group hangs in Sept and Jan.

Images
    Wait I'm confused... Stone Mountain NC or the "Stone Mountain" that sits right beside Scales?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith6761 View Post
    Not sure how close to the Grayson Highlands SP the VA creeper trail goes, but if it gets close enough, the group site there would be an excellent fit for what you're describing. Bathrooms, running water, limited electricity, and a showerhouse are all available there. It's where we do the group hangs in Sept and Jan.
    its closer the stone mountain park in nc. i called earlier and its still available. i need to confirm with the sm.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Wait I'm confused... Stone Mountain NC or the "Stone Mountain" that sits right beside Scales?
    stone mountain state park

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I've not been to the group site at Grayson but it is reasonably close to a Creeper trail junction - seems like it would be closer than Stone Mountain anyway. A number of years ago (10?) we biked into town from there... Started all downhill, then leveled out and you had to work - well, my kids were a lot younger and they thought it was work for their short legs.
    Good luck

Our troop has done this for the last 5 years. We always stay at Bear Creek (I think that's the name) at Mt. Rogers. Great sites. They have at least 4 large group sites. Not sure how many they permit on each site.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I've not been to the group site at Grayson but it is reasonably close to a Creeper trail junction - seems like it would be closer than Stone Mountain anyway. A number of years ago (10?) we biked into town from there... Started all downhill, then leveled out and you had to work - well, my kids were a lot younger and they thought it was work for their short legs.
    Good luck
    My troop went last year and loved it. I was told they only do 17 miles and its mostly all down hill. I knew where stone mountain was, so when I looked up the creeper trail I asked how long from camp to the trail and they all said over an hour. I knew of rogers and grayson figure either would be better.

How is the car ride up to grayson? Another complaint was if they pulled the trailer it was all winding roads and tight.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Our troop has done this for the last 5 years. We always stay at Bear Creek (I think that's the name) at Mt. Rogers. Great sites. They have at least 4 large group sites. Not sure how many they permit on each site.
    Funny thing, I have tried to find info ( while driving at work today so it wasnt a crack shot) I couldnt find any info at rogers. The site I saw just said basic stuff.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I see beartree? Looks like individual campsites not a group site. Why does the mount rogers site have access to this stuff? It looks like a private company (reserveamarica.com). Is there access to info at the state park site?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast