Thread: DIY UQ asym?

DIY UQ asym?

Hey so like many of you I like make my own stuff. I'm new to hammocking and never used an UQ I am looking to make one using primaloft insulation. I'm wondering if I cut and hemmed the fabric to fit the insulation asym with the lay of my hammock if it will stay in place and give enough warmth with that cut or should I just make it tapered? I'm just wanting to cut all the weight I can from my pack but don't have $ for down just yet.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I tried an asym UQ with polyester batting a few years back and found suspending it was tedious and fiddley. Finally sewed the UQ to a full length fabric which worked to keep it in position under me. It has now been regulated to my full time UQ indoors. Too heavy to hike with. Bought an older Northface down sleeping bag recently at an estate sale and have been considering trying an asym DIY UQ again.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Blog Entries
    This is doable, but really only comfortable if you sleep like a mummy.
    I actually made one like this. It worked well, except for when an arm or leg left the comfort zone (side-sleeping, or knees splayed, etc.)
    My more recent UQ is just an untapered rectangle and I used 3.6oz Climashield. I like this fit much better. I can move around freely and still be in the warmth. That being said, there is probably a little extra underquilt here and there that doesn't actually need to be. Still, at 44"x68" the thing packs quite small, and weighs a pound. That's probably too much for your pack, but maybe a compromise would work.

It's barely taller than the DVD, but loose in the sack. A compression strap makes it a 1/3 smaller.

The KLR on the right is my 'pack.' I don't need to worry about a few ounces here or there.

My Photography - www.elementalscape.com
    My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrTzgMzXLe5nA8KSJ5obFg
    Instagram - https://instagram.com/shadinsb/

Thanks for the replys. I am a pretty still sleeper most of the time. I'll be sure not to cut to much off as to not move off the insulation. But glad to hear that this design is functional before I got to far into it and just end up with a mess.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadinsb View Post
    This is doable, but really only comfortable if you sleep like a mummy.
    I actually made one like this. It worked well, except for when an arm or leg left the comfort zone (side-sleeping, or knees splayed, etc.)
    My more recent UQ is just an untapered rectangle and I used 3.6oz Climashield. I like this fit much better. I can move around freely and still be in the warmth. That being said, there is probably a little extra underquilt here and there that doesn't actually need to be. Still, at 44"x68" the thing packs quite small, and weighs a pound. That's probably too much for your pack, but maybe a compromise would work.

It's barely taller than the DVD, but loose in the sack. A compression strap makes it a 1/3 smaller.

The KLR on the right is my 'pack.' I don't need to worry about a few ounces here or there.

Wow!!!!! Love this ADV picture! I enjoy camping off the bike as well.

Steve