Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Cuben tarp fixing questions...

Hi folks,

I have a Mountain Laurel Designs Hammock Tarp. Had it for over 4 years. It's been my default tarp ever since I got it and it hasn't let me down until this last trip. I was sleeping through a torrential downpour in the Darien jungle last week, when I started feeling some tiny sprays in my face. I inspected the tarp and it looked like small droplets of water were seeping through, and I initially attributed it to condensation. However in the daylight I noticed that that tarp was looking very thin in some spots, so much so that I could see a few individual filaments, very small and thin. Then I looked at the tension points, and on the ridgeline some of the material was cracked and starting to flake.

I have to say that I try to take good care of my tarp. At the time I bought it, it cost me the price of two hammocks! So I never pitch it in the sun, and always clean it and dry it completely when I'm back from a trip.

Having said that, I've noticed that the "weak spots" on the two panels look round and random. Remind me of the bird droppings I constantly have to deal with in the tropics. It's not like I get pooped on a lot, just small dumps here and there, and once in a while. But I clean them all before packing the tarp away. However I don't know if I should be doing anything different.

In terms of repairing the existing problems, I've thought about applying some seam sealer like SilNet on the panels, and reinforcing the tension points with duct tape. But I was wondering if you guys have any better suggestions.

Thanks so much for the help.

Cheers,

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm not sure that SilNet would adhere to it since it is not a silicone coated fabric. Most seam sealing and repair work is done using cuben fiber tape, which can be purchased from Dutchware, Ripstop by the Roll, Zpacks, and probably others. You could use multiple strips of it to cover over thin areas, and you can also use it to reinforce tension points.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I make up wide strips of DIY cuben tape with parallel strips of 9460 adhesive transfer tape so I can cut whatever repair patch size I need. Or you could add a patch of cuben with a urethane adhesive like Aquaseal. That would be plenty strong enough. Look closely to see if those revealed fibers are all on the outside where the bird droppings landed. Don't use duct tape or Gorilla tape for temporary repairs - they are much heavier solutions, and they will pull the polyester laminate off when you remove them. They also may fail if exposed to water or low temperatures.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    If they're just small patches single sided cuben tape will fix it up....it may end up looking like a patchwork quilt but at least it will extend it's longevity & still keep you dry.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts