diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Tent vs Hammock Debate

For me, the only real benefit of a tent is that you can share the set up with another person. I know some of us have come up with creative solutions. Side-by-side hanging, bunkbed hanging, etc; but for the most part when you build your hammock set up it's just for you. The intimacy a tent provides is the only thing I've ever missed after moving to a hammock.
    Otherwise the benefits of the hammock far outweigh a tent in my opinion. If you go to something like tentforms.net you may get a different set of opinions.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Using cost as a determining factor will depend on what you would consider a "cost".

Most of us hammockers came from tents and made the switch based on the comfort level and not cost value, which gives us a good perspective on both systems. Some have medical reasons for the change while others just for the rest.

For me, it cost less to DIY my entire rig, less than $75 for my tarp(fabric, DIY sil, CRL, Dutch bling, stakes, guy lines), hammock(fabric, whipping, SRL, Continuous Loops, straps, Dutch bling), insulation(2 TQ/1 UQ, all synthetic, suspension for UQ, hardware)and 2 TQ for wife and material for 4 more sets of quilts for family(minus some of the synthetic insulation). Other gear used for hiking is the same. I thinks that's a lot of value for a good nights sleep.

The "cost" or "value" of hammocking or tents, to me, also include the rest I get. I can sleep 4-5 hours in a hammock and be better rested and travel farther than 8 hrs in a tent. Another cost to add to a tent would be the cost of thicker/multiple pads to get a good night's sleep. That's more value per $ for a hammock over a tent, again, for me.

There are diehard tenters and hammockers. Each system has their time and place. The cost is confused with value and options are misinterpreted from one style to another.

Always find which style you like and all should happily meet at the fire for a great time.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    While DIY does help with cost, from what I have seen when you are just getting started it is cheaper to get basic tent gear than basic hammock gear if you are buying everything and no DIY.

I just went on a trip with a couple guys who just purchased some basic tent gear.
    $25 for a 2 person tent (that fits one person)
    $10-15 for a cheap closed cell pad (I dont even think they had a pad)
    $25 for a light weight sleeping bag

If they were going for a cheap hammock set up we could replace the tent with a hammock. A basic dutch hammock is $30 on the low end without suspension. A very quick amazon search found me a $27 hammock that included suspension. So while its only $2 we are already $2 more expensive with hammock gear, but we have absolutely no rain protection. Even the cheapest walmart tarp is gonna be at least $10.

While its not a huge difference, and I would gladly pay the little bit extra to have a hammock, sometimes that $12 difference is a make or break for someone on a tight budget.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There are many good reasons listed above, some of which I'll repeat. It's already been mentioned that this conversation can also be checked out on WhiteBlaze with a lot more input from ground dwellers.

Hammocks can win the weight comparison, but more often the UL tents win on that conversation.

Hammocks do win on set up options and if there are no trees, they can be used as a bivy under a tarp.

Hammocks can win on warmth but insulation is an issue.

Hammocks do win for most folks when it comes to comfort.

There are some who have done the entire AT in hammocks.

Others rarely did anymore camp set up than lay out the pad and bag in shelters so the hammock/tent conversation didn't matter to them.

Bottom line is personal preference.

All seriousness aside, go with the tent.
    (If too many catch on to this hammock concept there might not be enough trees to go around.)
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post

Always find which style you like and all should happily meet at the fire for a great time.
    +1

open discussion with someone who is really interested about personal preferences is great, both learn something hopefully. Debate on who is RIGHT when minds are made up, much less productive.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twokag View Post
    +1

open discussion with someone who is really interested about personal preferences is great, both learn something hopefully. Debate on who is RIGHT when minds are made up, much less productive.
    Thats one of the things I love about this forum. People just seem to get along (or at least the mods make it look like they do ....LOL). There just seems to be a better atmosphere than many forums.

back on topic
    Its been said before, it will be said again. Both have positives, both have negatives. You can get an idea of what you think you will like on forums like this one, but you will really never know until you try it for yourself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345