Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    for me the choice was easy. I have a bomb-proof 80 lb kayak and I carry a lot of gear, so being able to unload the kayak and all my gear right at a mooring and not have to carry anything more than a few feet was the way to go. Now the lot says for boat trailers only, but they'll let you park there if you're kayaking out to bear island. Just tell them at the pay booth you're camping on bear island and they'll write that on a post it note you place on your dash so they know why the vehicle is there.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    Thanks for the info Mr Jaw. I didn't know about the beach parking or boat ramp on that side of the peninsula. Glad to know there is some gated parking. I've always used the small Anderson public use area parking on the North side of the peninsula. But didn't really care to leave my car there.
    I've put in both places several times. I think Mr. Jaw's map shows another place, closer to that camp site right between Bear and Raccoon Islands. But that might require going right through the roped-off beach?

The place we usually park and put in is just a little farther to the west. It would add a few hundred more feet to the paddle, but (I think) a shorter haul from the parking lot and fewer upset sunbathers, swimmers, and life guards. Here's a map I have posted in the past. Not sure if it clarifies or just ... muddies the water (pun intended).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 08-12-2015 at 10:16.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I've put in both places several times. I think Mr. Jaw's map shows another place, closer to that camp site right between Bear and Raccoon Islands. But that might require going right through the roped-off beach?
    yes and no. The way the parking areas are fanned out, it's really no further to put in outside the roped off swimming area shown in this image, which may actually be what you're talking about. Although I've witnessed people just going up and over the rope, which I would not advocate doing
    beach.JPG

What's the deal with camping there? I plan on camping Friday night of this week and bear island sounds like a great option. Are camping spots here limited and is it difficult to get a spot? I'm hoping I can make it out for the group hang as well! Thanks.

Stealthman and I plan to be there.

Hammock
    BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Hey Guys, I'm new to forums and for that matter Backpacking. My goal is to go ultralight and have started looking into hammocks. I would like to come and out to your hang just to see the different options and how it could fit into my gear.

Would it be alright for me to just kayak in one of these days to see your set ups?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Square View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm new to forums and for that matter Backpacking. My goal is to go ultralight and have started looking into hammocks. I would like to come and out to your hang just to see the different options and how it could fit into my gear.

Would it be alright for me to just kayak in one of these days to see your set ups?
    Hey, I'm not sure if I'll be at the hang yet. If you're interested in ultralight backpacking with a hammock send me a PM we can chat about it. I am currently at ~7.5 lbs base pack weight before clothing. That's after adding back a pound for comfort. I'm in the middle Tennesse area and if I can find time would be happy to show you some stuff.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Square View Post
    Absolutely.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    we are now less than a week away from the september bear island hangoutneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am planning on being there Saturday night. A couple of us are starting on the Stones River Friday and plan to camp south of Hobson Pike Bridge that night.

See you sometime Saturday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast