HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post

Who me?
    I'm just here for the food, and to collect money, and show off my new car...
    So, from what I see on social media… Rat is once again shown to be prophetic on at least one of his points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kattelyn View Post
    You know we're always in. I just can't remember for the life of me what is the site number that we like back there in that back corner and whether it's 13 or 14.
    Always glad to have you guys with us! I'm pretty sure that 14 was the site you requested last year and is that corner site you are wanting, but some workers were living there and you ended up elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    I woud like to sign up - it will be either 1 or 2 people, depending on if my son can get off - we're fairly private so probably not a shared sites - I don't know the area and would welcome recommendations on an open site - this would be our first offical hang and we are somewhat noobs with regards to hammock camping - we are pretty well geared up or will be by then - I am an experienced camper and did backpack quite a bit when I was younger so not a noob to camping, just to hammock camping - any help would be appreciated. we would likely be arriving friday night.
    It's great to see you on the page and planning on joining us! Group hangs like this one are perfect places for folks new to this style of camping to tear into that learning curve that may be otherwise a bit steep. The sites that are most private are the ones that do not have good tree access behind them and as such no blurred lines on sites. Those most likely to be best for folks wanting privacy include 15, 16, 17, and 19. When you arrive, if you'd like some help setting up gear, swing by our hospitality site, #26 and say "howdy and help!" We always seem to have plenty of willing helpers to coach, teach, or otherwise provide assistace.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUhanger View Post
    Go ahead and count me in as well!!! I guess I need to look for the planning sheet...
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    So far, 20 sites paid/pending payment. Get 'em while they're hot!

I will be out of range for most of next week...
    They are hot this year, no doubt. I've adjusted the counts on the numbers per site to show a single digit where some have put 1 or 2 /2 or 3 so that the counter would function at the bottom of the page. With 2/3 of the sites spoken for and over 70 potential hangers we are well on our way to another year larger than the previous year. Still there's plenty of trees so no one need worry.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    What do the capacity numbers mean on sites?
    The parks standard of site capacity is a max of 8 people and 2 vehicles. For our purposes as listed on Rat's post, it refers to hammock hanging options.

Each year I do a recon trip to the park to touch base with staff and look for widow makers that need to be removed. Last year when Alan and I made that trip, we also walked the sites and counted the number of potential hang spots per site. We only checked the sites that were vacant the day we were there so as not to disturb anyone camping. We also did not count on some of the sites that have been the perennial home of some hangers. As Sarge and gopidey noted above, there are a number of sites that have many options behind them. Ideally, a person planning on hanging with 1-2 or maybe 1 with another in a tent, would select a site for 1 as opposed to taking a site that could potentially work for 6-8 and tying up that space and leaving others who need a space without one.

...the Lord willing, I intend to be at the Texas hang November 13-15 at site 12 and will offer a Bible study on Saturday at noon on the inter-related topics of creation and nature in the Bible.
    I hope it does work out that you can be there Mike. If you remind someone at the hospitality site of time and place for any optional activity that you plan to host at your site, it could be posted along with other time specific optional items like edibles hikes, splicing, and knife sharpening.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    Hennesey
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    HB - Tree Straps
    Count me in, I updated the spreadsheet with my info and sent a PM to Oldgringo.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    What do the capacity numbers mean on sites?
    That is the approximate number of hangers per site; if it is blank it is unknown, a zero means hammock stands only.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    That is the approximate number of hangers per site; if it is blank it is unknown, a zero means hammock stands only.
    Would you switch me to 29, Rat? Love me some trees.
    Last edited by MDSH; 08-10-2015 at 16:12.

Images
    Ya gotta love Technology... What we have here is the DJI Inspire 1 a Quadcopter Drone quick flight from the Boat Launch area of Fairfield Lake dated July 10th, 2015.

The basic shot is hovering just over the water an a brief jaunt towards Post Oak Camping area along the shore. This machine is pretty nice!

Just some video of the tree-tops and some looking down towards the Power Plant, flight time begins @1:08 after some adjustments of camera ect... canopy is looking great!

https://youtu.be/YBRrRgCakbw

Very cool drone and footage.

Images
    Anyone here use alcohol stoves?

My reason for asking is that I have found that Methanol M1 at your local race shop is a cleaner version of HEET Gas Line Antifreeze, and can be had for $40-dollars in a metal lined container from VP Racing Fuels headquartered here in San Antonio (Elmendorf).

So, if there is an interest, then I need 7 others for a group buy, and I will bring the unopened 5-Gallon VP Racing Fuel Methanol M1 to the Fairfield hang, and you will receive 80-oz's for the low, low sum of $5-dollars

Home Depot sells HEET (Yellow) for about $1.77 for 12 fluid ounces, so VP Racing Fuel would be 1/2 the cost.

The main advantage is that pure methanol (M1 is 99.85% pure methanol minimum) and burns so much cleaner. No leftover residue. This is the best way to get your liquid stove lit, whether you use Coleman Fuel or Kerosene, or even E85 Ethanol Gasoline, you need to prime the vaporizer tubes, and Methanol is absolutely the best way to do that without any soot buildup on you liquid fuel stove.

In alcohol stoves it burns clean and hotter than HEET (Yellow).

Just throwing it out there, if there is any interest please PM me.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Would you switch me to 29, Rat? Love me some trees.
    Just an FYI… site 12 is a good one for someone who has a stand or a set up for a single tree hang. Likely a good place for one who prefers to go solo or with a ground dwelling companion.

29 is on the ridge/hill on the lake side. That means that in addition to trees close to the picnic table and fire pit that there are options for multiple hangers between the site and the lake.

I am pretty sure that East Texas Hanger has called that home for several hangs, (I haven't heard from him yet this year but he usually chimes in closer to the hang date), and he's always been open to sharing - that tells me that there are multiple hanging options on that site so hopefully whoever lands there is open to other hangers around.

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Just an FYI… site 12 is a good one for someone who has a stand or a set up for a single tree hang. Likely a good place for one who prefers to go solo or with a ground dwelling companion.

29 is on the ridge/hill on the lake side. That means that in addition to trees close to the picnic table and fire pit that there are options for multiple hangers between the site and the lake.

I am pretty sure that East Texas Hanger has called that home for several hangs, (I haven't heard from him yet this year but he usually chimes in closer to the hang date), and he's always been open to sharing - that tells me that there are multiple hanging options on that site so hopefully whoever lands there is open to other hangers around.
    I'd be glad to pay for East Texas Hanger if he doesn't mind sharing with me.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post

I'd be glad to pay for East Texas Hanger if he doesn't mind sharing with me.
    Thanks Mike. I should have included some other site numbers in my post as my intent wasn’t to call you out but to encourage those who ask for sites suited for multiple hangs to be open to sharing. I’m sorry for the way that message may have come across.

What I should have said is that all of the sites have trees. Some are just arranged in a way that makes them more difficult to hang from in a traditional way.

… sites 1,12,16, 19, and 30 are good ones for someone who has a stand or a set up for a single tree hang. Likely they are good places for one who prefers to go solo or with a ground dwelling companion.

2,3,8,9,13,14,29, and 35 are…

...on the edge of the woods or on the ridge/hill on the lake side. That means that in addition to trees close to the picnic table and fire pit that there are options for multiple hangers between the site and the lake or behind the site into the woods and those sites are best suited for those with several in their party or folks willing to share.

Also depending on how full we end up, it would make sense for some to park in one of the sites mentioned with limited options and hang in some of the areas behind the sites mentioned that have more options. We'll make those specific calls when on site and with conversation with all parties.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast