Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch

Trying to get my set up more winter/weather ready - input please

Last year was my first season hammock camping and on the whole, it went well. My goal for this fall is to be a bit more winterized (say comfortable down to the high 20's) and not have to sweat the rain too much.

Here is my current set up:

ENO doublenest hammock w/ dutchware cinch buckle suspension

Kelty Noah's 9 tarp w/ dutchware ridgeline

Hammock gear 30 deg top quilt
    Hammock gear 20 deg bottom quilt

I don't care to do deep winter camping per say but I do want to have confidence when the forceast changes to sub freezing over night, I can be confident I will be okay. I have taken this load out down to 35 by sleeping in my down pack jacket(cheapo uniqlo)

I am for sure getting a superfly tarp. I figure this will help on the wind and if I pitch it low would help some on the heat as well.

I am debating either getting a hammock sock or a dream hammock set up with the zip on cover.

Any thoughts on the socks and/or the integrated cover hammocks? Will it help much or am I just asking to end up with alot of condensation inside?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    For what you can expect in AR, you've got a pretty decent set up already. The sock just adds another layer of comfort.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    For what you can expect in AR, you've got a pretty decent set up already. The sock just adds another layer of comfort.
    I do think I am close, I just looked at the socks on dutchware gear and they are set for a smaller width hammock, so I'm wondering if it will compress my underquilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    Another thing I'm wondering on is will a sock or top cover hammock under and tightly pitched super fly really add much? Am I over thinking this?

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcblough View Post
    Another thing I'm wondering on is will a sock or top cover hammock under and tightly pitched super fly really add much? Am I over thinking this?
    It does add extra warmth. But I don't think you need it in the temps you are talking about. Also, the condensation doesn't kick in until sub freezing temps. Maybe not even until 25 degrees or less in my experience.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Images
    If you like your ENO double I go with a Warbonnet winter sock.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by jcblough View Post
    I do think I am close, I just looked at the socks on dutchware gear and they are set for a smaller width hammock, so I'm wondering if it will compress my underquilt.
    I don't think it would compress your underquilt at all since the hammock width is just fabric that ends up flopping on the sides if you aren't physically forcing the fabric outwards with your body laying on a diagonal. With that in mind, your height would effect things more than the hammock width. I suppose with a wider hammock you could potentially lay more perpendicular but I used to use an ENO DN and because it was so short I couldn't go too far on the diagonal before my feet were climbing up the wall of fabric so I don't think it would be an issue for you.

As was mentioned before, I think you are actually pretty close to a system that would work. I've never used a sock but I'm actually amazed out the temperature difference from using my bug net in the winter. It helps cut the breeze and adds a couple degrees of warmth in the winter IMO. Based on my experience with a bug net, I'd say a sock would definitely help although it's not strictly necessary.

A Superfly tarp pitched low can really block some wind and help create a micro climate. I believe it will add a 3-4* of warmth to your setup when pitched correctly.

For the types of temperatures you are talking about, wear a balaclava to sleep in and that will make a notable difference. You can always take a hot nalgene bottle to bed with you as well and I bet you'd be good to go with the gear you have and the Superfly. Good luck.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    The Superfly will provide excellent protection from the elements for your intended purpose.
    The 20*UQ will get you to 20 without to many issues...extra clothing will help as you push lower
    The 30*TQ is what will limit you temp wise.
    Another TQ( say a 10 or 20* one) would be a wiser investment before chasing anything else if your planning to dip below the freeze mark and push say the 20* mark.

If your cold limit is 20* add 10* lower and buy that quilt temp rating then you have a buffer and will be toasty warm without question

As for a sock ....be aware of possible/likely condensation issues and as you dip below freezing it will/can get worse. Below 25* a cotton sock is recommended.
    A alternative is to toss a fleece blanket or such over the ridge line. It will hold heat and trap moisture but will not drop it all over you when you touch/jiggle it.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    This is my solution for the overcome. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=overcover

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So far I don't use socks, overcovers or UQPs, just insulation. However, my face gets really burnt by the cold weather. I'm probably gonna try a sock this winter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast