Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I'm reading all these comments and thinking maybe I need to reconsider and get mine sewn instead, but I see you did what I was thinking about. My question is when you remove the snaps did it cause any sort of damage, holes, scarring, blemish etc on the quilt that needed major fixing?? 'thanks

To Charliev: I'm reading all these comments and thinking maybe I need to reconsider and get mine sewn instead, but I see you did what I was thinking about. My question is when you remove the snaps did it cause any sort of damage, holes, scarring, blemish etc on the quilt that needed major fixing?? 'thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I wouldn't even consider getting anything other than sewn for a quilt rated 20 degrees or colder. If it's that temperature out, then you want the added comfort and better insulation provided by sewn design. Quilts rated 40-50 I still prefer sewn, but I guess snaps could be an option. If I need more ventilation, I simply lay under my tq without getting into it.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFlyAsy
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Love all the discussion and personal experience here; help me make up my mind on sewn!

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Theory and practice become critical here. In theory, yes a snap/zip footbox is more versatile. In practice, however, I can tell you that I never unzipped my 20* EE revelation. I own a separate summer quilt so it never got used above 55*. Below 55*, I would literally never care to have a blanket so the versatility is a fantasy feature. I’ve since sold the revelation and got an enigma (sewn footbox) with absolutely zero regrets and now I don’t have to worry about drafts or a zipper under my feet. Plus, a “3D” footbox has proven to be much more comfortable to me than one that is cinched.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk! View Post
    I have my Underquilt picked out and purchased, it is on the way. I'm in the process of figuring out which top quilt I would like to purchase and am kind of torn between a sewn/closed footbox vs. an open/adjustable footbox. I would like to hear from owners of each on opinions of each. I have my selection narrowed down to EE Revelation and the HG Burrow. Currently I use two different rectangular sleeping bags, zip them up a quarter of the way and tuck my feet in. Both are synthetic, so I want to upgrade to down. Opinions and thoughts? thanks alot
    I like the flexibility of the snaps.
    With a JBR Hudson River quilt it can also be used as an UQ.
    With the JRB Sierra line you can also use them as a serape.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 10-26-2017 at 22:14.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    Snaps,...as has been said, '...more versality...', and a quality pair of winter socks should be good for all but the coldest of temperatures. Add a pair of lightweight down booties and I'd think nearly anyone should be good to go. However as everyone is fond of saying, HYOH.

I prefer snaps. I can wear it around camp (not often but it has been nice once or twice) but to me the biggest advantage is to make it into a blanket. I use that often with my SO. Tent camping? Check. On the couch? Check. Venting in the hammock? Sometimes. If I wanted sewn I'd still be using a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeTCrow View Post
    I prefer snaps. ....... If I wanted sewn I'd still be using a sleeping bag.
    Right. To me its not a quilt at this point.

It's a Quag.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    In theory I like the idea of snaps for the versatility and double use as throw-over blanket at home when watching tv (it's always freezing in here since that's the way the wife enjoys it - and I can get down) and as someone who comes from a cyclo-touring orientation I know that I often have to go to ground. No matter where I go I carry a tent as well as hammock gear, but the less duplication otherwise the better.

But something odd happened to me several years ago, that were it not for the choice of snaps on foot-boxes I'd likely have to give up hammocking altogether. I developed severe neuropathy of the feet. It doesn't always hit the same but on some nights it's tough to bear under the sensation of shooting fireworks which is exerbated by fabric moving over my feet. So on some nights I sleep now with my feet sticking out of the covers. Even then it can keep me from sleeping for more than an hour or so at a time sometimes. Fortunately tight socks seem to help. Weird I know - but it shows how choice is so nice to have.

This same issue makes me regret being without my ridge-runner after giving my daughter. I find a gathered end hammock more comfortable but the ridge runner is kinder to my electrified feet. But then she has a bad back and can't sleep in a regular hammock but loves the ridgerunner. The cottage industry nature of the hammock industry as it exists now is a wonderful thing. We shouldn't take it for granted. Every bit of kit customizable for every whim or need. Even footboxes! Global mega corporations just can't compete on that one point. I always keep that in mind when clicking the "buy" button.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast