Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Definitely sewn. In warm weather, you can always kick your feet out of the box and just have the TQ laying over them. But when you need the warmth, you need the warmth...of sewn! The only exception I'd consider to this is a light summerweight TQ intended only for 50's to 70's temps when you would even be apt to kick your feet out. But even then, the fiddle factor of a drawstring or snaps at the foot end just doesn't seem worth it to me, when it's just as easy to kick it off.

I'm a snap guy all the way. More versatile as you can easily vent in warmer weather or completely open and use like the quilt on your bed.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have both brands of top quilts, plus two DIY.

My first TQ was a DIY, I just stitched it across the bottom and tapered it up to about my knees. It is okay. My store bought quilts have the sewn in foot box, as does the other DIY, I like the way my toes have the extra room to be free, I also like the warmth when I need it. If I get too warm, as others have stated, I just hang a leg or foot out. I sleep very cold, I just about go into suspended animation. I sleep with a down quilt year around, two in the Winter.

I like one of my TQ so well I sleep with it every night, sewn in foot box and all, I just hang my feet out on these warm nights.

I hate snaps, they hate me, long running battle. For me they tend to come loose no matter how careful I am with them, repairing snaps for me is very hit and miss. Years ago I made custom western style shirts, getting the snaps to hold was always a problem.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    All my top quilts are DIY and the cold weather versions (50° and below) all have a sewn foot box and the warm weather quilt is a draw string bottom with snap closure to below the knees. Seems to work for me, but I really haven't unsnapped the warm weather quilt at all.
    Bill

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I've only been using my first quilt set for about 2 weeks now and it's the summer weight set from widened logistics which has a snapping foot box. For summer, who cares? I snap the foot box right around the hammock and pull the draw cord *just* enough. It's not too tight, stays there where i can reach it in the early hours after the chill sets in. The the rest of the time, I fold the top quilt over itself, Z-style, and snap it around underneath the hammock, so very little consciousness is required to putt it in use. When folded, my feet are either on top of it or inside depending on how warm I am. Before, i used a synthetic bag and used to sleep on top of it and was always still way to warm until it cooled down. Much better now. Though i plan to get a more robust quilt set for winter.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20 degree
    Tarp
    OES MacUltra
    Insulation
    UQ •850 fill power
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    I've been debating this in my mind also, as I am in the market for aTQ. Still doing my research on which company's offering to go with, but the footbox was an unknown, sewn or snaps. I was thinking that if sewn I couldn't use the quilt for a throw on my bed. But with all the issues brought up regarding snaps or Velcro or cinch cord, I think I made my mind up: Sewn footbox all the way baby!
    treebinky

Oh Man! Where is Sector 7 again?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sewn! It's a no-brainier. HG as well. I have the rev x and a burrow. I would go burrow for sure.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Snaps. I like only having one or two snaps snapped together making a much smaller footbox that I can slip my feet out of easier as I am a very warm sleeper. At home in my bed I usually have my feet uncovered or at least one foot out.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    12' Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Hook
    I just ordered a TQ/UQ set from HG on Saturday (20-degree). I opted for snaps so I would have the option of opening the TQ if I get warm. I know you can always kick off the quilt with a sewn footbox but I like the ability to choose one configuration over the other. If, when winter comes, I find that the snap enclosure is too chilly I can always use a fleece or down jacket in the bottom for supplemental insulation (which I have done before in my down sleeping bag anyway).

This is my first set of hammock quilts so I will also be using the TQ when I spend a night in a tent. If I decide to get another set (which, from what I read here is very likely) then I will likely go with a 0-degree TQ with a sewn footbox and augment my UQ with reflectix or similar.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I purchased a snap foot box And ended up removing snaps and sewing up footbox. Snaps were uncomfortable and i never had the need to unsnap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast