Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just remember the 66 may be difficult to sell for top dollar. As far as my situation, I'm taking the Silver Surfers advice and positioning the quilt at my shoulders. The thing is, I could easily lop six inches off the foot and still be covered.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Just remember the 66 may be difficult to sell for top dollar. As far as my situation, I'm taking the Silver Surfers advice and positioning the quilt at my shoulders. The thing is, I could easily lop six inches off the foot and still be covered.
    Depends on how you sleep. Before I got an HG 0* Incubator, I had an HG 20* Phoenix, which is 52" wide. I took that down to 13* F, but couldn't see how I could take it lower. HG specifies a full-length UQ is 78" long, while UGQ says it's 77" long. Personally, I would trust them that they know what they're talking about. They sell a lot of quilts!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

IMG_20150729_143033.jpg
    Here is a picture of the foot of the hammock with the quilt set at my shoulders. There are no gaps at my shoulders and I had to do just a minor adjustment on the horizontal shock cord. I cinched the foot to get the best seal I could but, as you can see, there is a gap. By the way, in order to move the quilt down to my shoulders I had to disconnect the secondary suspension and attache the primary directly to the whipping.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    IMG_20150729_143033.jpg
    Here is a picture of the foot of the hammock with the quilt set at my shoulders. There are no gaps at my shoulders and I had to do just a minor adjustment on the horizontal shock cord. I cinched the foot to get the best seal I could but, as you can see, there is a gap. By the way, in order to move the quilt down to my shoulders I had to disconnect the secondary suspension and attache the primary directly to the whipping.
    Sorry, I don't see a gap. There's no reason you should have to disconnect the secondary suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for your help Surfer. One thing I think I am struggling with is that this SLD hammock needs alot of sag to get a good lay. I also have a Blackbird XLC and I think this quilt will work better on that since it has a flatter profile. The Treehugger is one comfortable hammock, though.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I, literally, just got back from trying one (UGQ 7/8) out, and it fits me fully stretched out from head to toe, with inches to spare, and I'm 5'7.5'. If you want more wiggle room, go longer, but at your height, you won't need to, I don't think.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    IMG_20150729_143033.jpg
    I see both your shoulder exposed and the gap at your foot end.

Your quilt appears to be too narrow at the shoulder line for your shoulder width and your right shoulder seems to be laying right on the hammock body. Try pulling the quilt up until it goes past your shoulder--maybe even your head (rather than down towards yuour feet), and attaching the foot end channel cords to a prusik knot or S biner on your ridgeline. This will bring the foot end down to where it ends before the hammock begins to taper (I understand what you're talking about there as well), which should help, but you may need to loosen that end up a bit to accomdate the width of the hammock at that point.

There's no magic to the "quilt should end at the shoulders" thing. Like ridgline length,"Hangle", tree strap height, and just about everything else in hammocks, those are instructions to a starting point from which to start adjusting until you get things where YOU like them. The real beauty of a hammock is that each and every one of them ends jup being a unique personal creation that fist the user.

Fiddle with it until you've got it where it works (it will). Once you've got it dialed in, you shouldn't have any problems.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I have a 7/8 winter quilt that covers me fully. I'm 5'8"
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I, literally, just got back from trying one (UGQ 7/8) out, and it fits me fully stretched out from head to toe, with inches to spare, and I'm 5'7.5'. If you want more wiggle room, go longer, but at your height, you won't need to, I don't think.
    This is what I was looking for - thanks guys, I'll be going with the 7/8. I really dont want to deal with selling another one off again, Id like to buy one last time and be sure its what I need and not going anywhere.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sounds like you need to attend a group hang where more seasoned hangers can check out your setup while you are in it and help adjust the UQ
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Sounds like you need to attend a group hang where more seasoned hangers can check out your setup while you are in it and help adjust the UQ
    I would love to be able to get away for a weekend to do this. I just have to sort out when and where. Not many group type hangs are local to Maryland. I think the closest is a few hour drive to PA.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast