Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    371

    Adjustable knot for tight line pulls

    Disclaimer 1: I know about the trucker's hitch.
    Disclaimer 2: I know about Figure 9s and the fact that they weigh nothing!
    Disclaimer 3: ...
    Disclaimer 4: profit


    Okay now that that is out of the way. I was curious if anyone had a favorite knot or two for pulling a line tight. One of the most common problems I see people have is how to tie something so that it's as tight as possible. The trucker's hitch is obviously ideal for this, but let's face it, it's not an easy knot.

    Input welcome and appreciated.

  2. #2
    lazyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hammock
    claytor no net
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    z rest . Peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    284
    taughtline hitch. google it, lots of instructions on how to tie, very simple to tie

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    371
    Awesome (thought I knew that, and forgot it). Keep em coming, I love knots.

  4. #4
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middlebury, IN
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,173
    Images
    46
    This is the best site I know of for knots, click on one and it shows you how to tie it, in slo-mo, if you want.
    If you don't see a knot you like, they have lots of different categories; sailing, climbing, etc.

    Grab some rope and a brewski and enjoy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    This is the best site I know of for knots, click on one and it shows you how to tie it, in slo-mo, if you want.
    If you don't see a knot you like, they have lots of different categories; sailing, climbing, etc.

    Grab some rope and a brewski and enjoy.
    indeed!

  6. #6
    Frawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH area
    Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Posts
    1,709
    Images
    95
    You can always take a short length of line and secure each end to the ridge line with a rolling hitch, which is the working part of a tautline hitch. You can then slide the ridgeline through either end to take up slack. That slack ends up forming a drip loop under the (now taut) length of line. The advantage of a trucker's hitch, and variations, is obviously the mechanical advantage you get. It's a bit harder to get a lot of tension on the line with other straight friction hitches

    Edit: disregard the above... I suddenly realized this is posted under hammock accessories / ridgelines!! DUH!!!
    Last edited by Frawg; 10-14-2009 at 14:52.
    - Frawg

    {generic tagline}

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    371
    I'm so looking forward to going home and tying notes....



    ....no wonder I'm single.

  8. #8
    Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bertram, Texas
    Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    1,312
    Images
    22
    Perhaps it would be better if you told us what you are trying to tension. I mean, there are tensioning hitches and knots used for different purposes. If you want the tightest line possible it's hard to beat the trucker's hitch. Looking to get some slack out of the boat line then there is the mooring hitch. Wearing heavy gloves? Maybe two turns and a half hitch is best..,
    I can think of 12 tensioning knots and hitches right off the bat, each have their place, do you want them all listed?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    You can always take a short length of line and secure each end to the ridge line with a rolling hitch, which is the working part of a tautline hitch. You can then slide the ridgeline through either end to take up slack. That slack ends up forming a drip loop under the (now taut) length of line. The advantage of a trucker's hitch, and variations, is obviously the mechanical advantage you get. It's a bit harder to get a lot of tension on the line with other straight friction hitches
    This is assuming I have a full ridge line to tie the rolling hitch to, correct? I don't typically use a full ridge line, though I'm very much in an experimental phase*


    *fortunately much different than that of my college years.
    Last edited by LyttleBryan; 10-14-2009 at 14:55.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    Perhaps it would be better if you told us what you are trying to tension. I mean, there are tensioning hitches and knots used for different purposes. If you want the tightest line possible it's hard to beat the trucker's hitch. Looking to get some slack out of the boat line then there is the mooring hitch. Wearing heavy gloves? Maybe two turns and a half hitch is best..,
    I can think of 12 tensioning knots and hitches right off the bat, each have their place, do you want them all listed?
    The purpose of the thread was open ended to promote the discussion of various knots. If you feel like typing it out, then I'm sure myself (and others) will read it.

Similar Threads

  1. Using a slip knot to prevent adjustable bury slippage
    By Bushwhacker in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 14:53
  2. ridge line to tight ???
    By whazzzup in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 15:38
  3. ridge line too tight
    By Lowrider in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 23:10
  4. Tight centre line in the hammock?
    By Highbinder in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 17:52
  5. Tight ridge line
    By Gadget in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 22:27

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •