Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    This is assuming I have a full ridge line to tie the rolling hitch to, correct? I don't typically use a full ridge line, though I'm very much in an experimental phase*
    Actually, I've used this for tarp ridge tensioning without a contiguous ridge line. I'd tie a line segment onto each of the two ridge tie-out lines and tension as necessary. It gave me a little leeway to finetune tarp positioning between the trees. I've since switched to another approach.

*fortunately much different than that of my college years.
    Ain't askin' -- don't be tellin'!
    Last edited by Frawg; 10-14-2009 at 13:59. Reason: disambiguation... (I love the word!)
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Actually, I've used this for tarp ridge tensioning without a contiguous ridge line. I'd tie the line segment onto each of the tie-out lines and tension as necessary. It gave me a little leeway to finetune tarp positioning between the trees. I've since switched to another approach.

Ain't askin' -- don't be tellin'!
    Actually I was boring as could be in college. The life of a computer science engineering major

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    Actually I was boring as could be in college. The life of a computer science engineering major
    I was an EE. Not much extracurricular difference.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A tensioning knot that is little used and less understood if the figure 8 knot. tie a figure eight in the standing part of the rope. Run the end around your pole or connector and place the end through the bottom loop of the knot. Pull it tight. It does not slip.

Important caveat: The tighter it is pulled and the longer it is left under tension the harder it will be to get it loose. I attached two platforms together with this rig and by the end of the show run I had no choice but to cut the ropes. The back webbing for my external frame pack was tensions that way. It did not slip and yet was easy enough to loosen and redo when needed for adjustments.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I don't know why one would prefer the Taut-line Hitch to the Adjustable Grip Hitch. In my experiments with both (including the various forms of the taut-line hitch, "correct" and otherwise), the adjustable grip hitch holds better and is more secure.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    I don't know why one would prefer the Taut-line Hitch to the Adjustable Grip Hitch. In my experiments with both (including the various forms of the taut-line hitch, "correct" and otherwise), the adjustable grip hitch holds better and is more secure.
    Wow... No more taught-line hitches for me! That knot rocks.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Well, okay...
    For really tight lines, or lifting static loads slightly off the ground, I use the Trucker's Hitch, the mechanical advantage can be as great as you need, or your cord/rope can handle. Doesn't tie well in twisted cord or smaller cord, it wants to bind when released.

For smaller cord, tarp guys etc, I use the Rolling Hitch almost exclusively. Works well with almost all types of cord, just add another turn to get a better hold if you need it.

I have also used the Adjustable Grip Hitch but I find it as good as the Rolling Hitch under testing, and instead of adding another redundant hitch, I don't use it very often.

You can read my review of both here:
    Midshipman's Vs. Adjustable Grip

There are at least 10 of these types of hitches (Tarbuck, Grapple...) and knots, but I mention just these two since, I think, they are the best for it and are the most common two discussed (and used I assume) here at HF.

There are a number of slide and grip knots and hitches that can be used for this purpose as well.
    Klemheist
    Blake's Hitch
    Prusik Knot

When tying to a spar (or trecking pole, tent stake etc) a Clove Hitch can be used very easily to take up, or let out, cord. I used this hitch quite a bit when I tarped to open and close the front of a trap. It requires easing the tension on the hitch to take up or let out cord, but when used on a tarp it works great.

There are also a number of "exploding hitches" that are used to tension line. Although most do not put the tension that the above hitches and knots do they are valuable for their ease of tying, GREAT ease of untying and the fixed, adjustable loop they create.

I use the Exploding Clove Hitch for a quick loop around something that I may need to adjust quickly or for just a quick temporary loop. Secure while loaded, but spills easily, must be slaked a little to explode.

I use the Mooring Hitch quite a bit while boating. It is easy and quick to tie around a tree on the bank. After I unload the boat (of the camping gear and people) I usually need to take up some slack; it's very easy with the Mooring Hitch to do this. It can also be locked so it will not slip if you need to moor in current. It can be tough to explode if fully locked in, but I have never been unable to release it fully.

Eploding Hitches

Currently I am using the whoopie sling for my suspension, which is a type of tensioning splice actually; but the UCR way could easily be substituted for slip and grip hitches like the Prusik, Blake and Klemheist. It may not be as secure as the others under low load or intermittent load, but it could work.

Also, back in '07 I wrote this about essential outdoor knots I teach to wilderness noobs, it may interest you.

10 Essential Outdoor Knots
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12