WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle

Blackbird XLC 1.7 SL Issue

I have had my XLC for about a year and slept in it 3 nights, often sleeping in a simple DIY or (gasp) sleeping on the ground. A couple of weekends ago I got home from an overnight trip in the hammock and hung it outside to air out before storage. When I did, I noticed what appeared to be two small imperfections in the fabric on the hammock body side opposite the shelf. When I looked closer I also noticed a long line in the middle of the hammock on the side opposite the shelf, right in the center, starting at the zipper, about 7 inches long. It looks like a line of the fabric is missing, or that the weave has been stretched (not sure, not a fabric expert...). I have attached pictures to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

I never sleep in the xlc in anything but a wool base layer or gym shorts and a cotton tee. No sharps come with me. The only rigid item I usually bring in with me are my glasses, which get tossed in the shelf immediately. The shelf has no issues. I baby this thing because, aside from my pack and my axe (which I don't take backpacking..), it is my most expensive piece of gear.

I am concerned because I don't know what caused this, and don't know if it will get worse. I don't want it to split and dump me out the next time I get into it. I have an email out to Warbonnet, but thought I would post here and get your thoughts. Is this a fabric defect? Anyone have similar issue? Any ideas for repair/prevention? It doesn't seem like it is the type of issue that a fabric patch would help. Am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks!

hammock line 1.jpg
    hammock line 2.jpg
    hammock line 3.jpg
    hammock circles 1.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I sure don't know, but it is worry-some looking to me. Be sure and let us know what warbonnet has to say.

On a lighter note maybe it like a scar on real leather. Maybe the nylon cow got tangled in a barbwire fence.

But do keep us posted I'm curious myself.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The only thing I could think of is perhaps at the factory the blade used to cut the nylon was dull or malfunctioned, therefore creating a ridge in the fabric without actually cutting it.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Brandon from Warbonnet got back to me rather quickly. He told me he has seen spots like that before, and that it doesn't appear to be anything to worry about. Still don't know what caused it, but comforting to know it is likely not an issue.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good news, that it appears to be just a cosmetic issue!

Thanks for getting back to us.

• + New Posts