DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Bias tape question

I'm building a pack, and I've been using Wright's satin single fold bias tape. I picked satin because it is 100% polyester. All the other varieties at Joann are 65% polyester, 35% cotton. I don't have enough of the satin left to finish my pack, and Joann has been out of it for a couple weeks (after I bought the last 2 packs).

Do you think I'd have any problems with the poly/cotton blend? It will be used to bind the seams inside the pack. Any chance it will rot over time because of the cotton?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Any chance the nylon used in the pack bag will degrade from UV exposure? Of course there is "a chance". The question is, to what degree does it matter. Frankly I would be more concerned about abrasion from the stuff I put in the pack wearing out the bias tape. It's binding... It serves no significant structural purpose assuming it is not the sole method of seaming the bag together. Personally I wouldn't worry about but... note this carefully... I'm not you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Personally i would not use cotton for something like that. If it’s inside the pack maybe. Remember cotton takes forever to dry if it gets wet compared to synthetic materials. If it’s a matter of color and its used inside the pack I would not care as much if other colors are available.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It will be entirely inside the pack, but they don't have any 100% poly bias tape in any color at all. I'll go see what they have tomorrow and hope.

Thanks for the input y'all!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I hope you get it. It’s a pain not to be able to finish a project because of small details like this.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used the poly/cotton blend in my DIY pack. I do not think its a huge deal...its mostly polyester, not structural and inside the pack. YMMV.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Personally i would not use cotton for something like that. If it’s inside the pack maybe. Remember cotton takes forever to dry if it gets wet compared to synthetic materials. If it’s a matter of color and its used inside the pack I would not care as much if other colors are available.
    Maybe it is a matter of age. Having grown up in a world where synthetic tents simply did not exist and cotton canvas was virtually all there was, I am not as afraid of cotton for non-insulating purposes as others are. Clothing... yeah cotton kills under the wrong circumstances. But other applications... pffft... its all good. The only tents I ever had destroyed were nylon that spent too long in the sun. Don't get me wrong... I recommend the synthetics but I don't say avoid cotton. Inside a pack... it wouldn't stop me at all. But again... that's me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I agree it could have been a matter of age but for me it’s a matter of selecting the best material, what I think is best. I have absolutely nothing against cotton. Back in the days when I was a boy scout we had cotton tents and we survived and hardly ever got wet but that was then and this is now.
    Some ten years ago I got a nasty surprise with a cheap tent. I was attending a party a long way from home and I was supposed to sleep in my tent. When it was set up the inner tent (cotton/synthetic mix) had mold and what not because I forgot to dry it after the previous time I used it. It could not be saved but only the parts with the c/s mix was damaged. I know it isn’t the same as for a pack but it could happen. This was of cause my own fault and could have been avoided.
    On the other hand my absolutely favorite pants for outdoors use is Fjällräven (brand made in Sweden) they are made from a fabric called G1000 a mix of polyester and cotton. Nothing I have tried or seen beats this fabric for that use end of story.
    My point is all materials has its use and should be selected according to what its used for and what its exposed to.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm leaving for an 8 day backpacking trip in a week, and while I do have another pack, I'd be mighty upset not to be able to use this one after working on it for hours a day every day for 2-3 weeks, so I'm pretty much going to get the cotton poly blend if that is all that's available. I'm just hoping I'll get lucky, though.

If it starts to rot or have other issues down the line, I'll just rip it out and replace it. That's one of the great things about DIY. I know exactly how it's constructed, how to take it apart, how to repair it, and how to put it back together.

Thanks y'all!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I would not worry too much. If you keep it dry and or dry it out I think you will be fine. It is more long term exposure to moist I would be worried about.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast