Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Thinking of Switching From Pad to Under Quilt

I'm giving some serious consideration to switching from my current bottom insulation to an under quilt, but I have a few reservations I'm hoping you fine folks can help clear up... I'm currently using a Thermarest in my Big Agnes bag. I've liked this because the pad doesn't slide around and the pad seems to spread out the hammock a bit creating a feeling of a bit more width when inside it. I'm finding lately though that I'm just not sleeping comfy in it and everyone raves about going with the under quilt. So my three questions:

1. When you just use an under quilt do you feel claustrophobic at all when in your sleeping bag? I assume the hammock hugs your body a bit more without a pad...
    2. Any recommendations on down vs synthetic? My hammock gets the most use in spring and fall (and some summer) here in Ontario Canada. Conditions can be pretty cold and damp so I'm leaning towards synthetic (packability and weight is not a huge concern for me).
    3. I do a lot of winter camping and am intrigued by the thought of using the hammock in winter. If I were to get a winter rated under quilt, would I be able to use it in the summer or would I be way too hot?

Thanks guys

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    1. I don't, but that's subjective. You'll have to try for yourself. Just climb in the hammock without the pad, then you'll get to know. An uq won't change so much about that feel, which is one reason for their popularity.
    2. Others know more about use in your area than I do, I'm sure.
    3. I find it easy to vent my uq. It's a 20 degree Fahrenheit quilt, I use it in the summer without problems.

As jolunder has stated just try lay in your hammock without a pad that's the feeling plus you may feel a suspension bungy on occasion. I have a 0° UQ and use it in the summer exclusively for kayak camping so in a damp environment. For me down it the only way to go it packs better and is warmer. Most people that switch don't go back to a pad but it is a bit spendy and it may take a bit of fiddling to make it work.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    1. I don't notice much difference with the UQ attached.

2. If weight/pack isn't a concern just get the synthetic.

3. You can loosen the UQ a bit to allow air pockets and cool it down. I haven't done much winter camping and have only used the Jarbidge.

If you want to try an UQ, no better time than now. You can get an Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge on sale right now for the best price you will see. If you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid. It's only a 3/4 quilt, but I love it and have used it to around 30 deg F.
    Go Tigers!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I was actually laying in my hammock yesterday without anything in it and found it was way more comfortable (hence my thoughts of switching). I just found it hugged the contours of my back etc better.

Are the 3/4 length quilts much less warm than a full length? I usually sleep with a pillow anyway so my head is insulated...What about the feet?

If you have a look at Shugs videos it covers all of what you are asking in great detail. 3/4 length are used because of their weight saving and bulk reduction and may be a bit easier to use because the area around the feet can create air gaps. That said i have a full length and had to change brands before i could eliminate the air pockets. With the 3/4 you need a pad under your feet inside your over quilt to keep your feet warm. Hit the Shug link or google him there is a lot of info there for sure

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    I went from a pad to a syn u.q.4 season ,I camp mostly from early spring to November out in the mountains of alberta ,the temps can range from minus 20 ,to plus 30 cel and everything in between, if I get a bit warm I just kick off my t.q. but It did take me a few times out to get used to the hammock seemly to be a little bit narrower ,but that feeling went away over time , i did get my synthetic
    u.q. a little bit wet first time out ,but it dried really fast and by the time I was ready for bed ,it was completely dry, p.s it is a new river long 4 season from arrowhead equp. I love it
    always use tree straps please

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Never tried a full length quilt. Mine is about 3/4 for me. I usually lay on it from head or shoulders, so it goes down to the knees or calves. In summer that's it. When colder some kind of pad or the backpack goes under the exposed legs and feet.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some UQ intel I'll offer up in video form.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I began hanging using a DIY pad adding bits adding pieces to it as it got colder last fall/winter. I have a double layer Warbonnet XLC that lets me try out different insulation options. I found the pad worked really well and let me learn how to manage top insulation without having to battle both sides of the hammock at the same time.

I've got three guilts now. One under quilt rated to 20F, one top quilt rated to 20F and a JRB 40F top quilt that can be converted to an under quilt.

I found the pad bulky for hiking and that's what drove me to quilts. Have to admit they've work well when backpacking. I decided that I really didn't like being out in single digit temps so my choices of quilts when combined with some extra layers of clothing (fleece, down cap) did well during the early winter months when I was out.

If you already have a down bag, you might use that initially for your top insulation and invest in an under quilt. You'll find you can loosen the under guilt a bit and use it in milder weather.

I'm hanging tonight using my 40 F JRB converted to a loosely hung underguilt. It was 92F today and will go down to 67F tonight. But I've hung in similar conditions this summer with my 20F underguilt hung loose. I worried that the 20F would be too warm but found it isn't. Just have to loosen the ends up. I use the 40F mostly because of weight savings.

Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast