Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat

DIY versatile, two-part CCF pad covering shoulders and torso

This mod makes a CCF pad work for full-shoulder insulation. Without it, a CCF is not wide enough to protect shoulders.

I took a full-length CCF pad and cut a top section that's long enough to wrap around my shoulders comfortably when that section is turned 90 degrees. I wanted to attach the remaining section of CCF below that shoulder section, to insulate my butt and thighs. I found that I could connect the top and bottom sections with velcro straps that can also be used to keep both sections rolled together for carrying.

I cut pairs of slots in both top and bottom sections of the CCF pad. Each slot is 2.5" from the edge of the CCF pad and is reinforced with duct tape to prevent tearing. The slots in the top and bottom sections line up to hold the bottom section against the top section when it's turned 90 degrees. (I added a second pair of slots on another edge of the top section so that I could alternatively attach the top and bottom sections back into one long pad.)

I made two 29" straps, each with one 4.5" strip of velcro HOOKS on one side -- and two 4.5" strips of velcro LOOPS on the other. Although the velcro has glue to stick to the straps, I sewed the edges of the strips for strength.
    - The velcro loop pads at the END of the strap are used when the two sections are rolled together for carrying. (Roll one section tightly, then roll the other around it.)
    - The velcro loop pads in the MIDDLE of the strip are used to attach the two sections when lying down. Put the end of the strap that has the velcro HOOK pad through slots in both sections, so that the velcro hook pad lies flat between the slots of the two pads, then press the velcro LOOP pad on top of the velcro hook pad to make a firm connection. (It probably works best to do this so that the velcro pads are on the underside of the assembled pad.) Use the natural curl of the top section to allow it to wrap around your shoulders.

Either section can also serve as a rather large sit pad. If you roll the two sections somewhat loosely for carrying, you can take out the inner one without removing the straps.

When measuring where to attach the velcro pads on the strap:
    - Attach the velcro hook pad to one end of the strap.
    - Attach one of the velcro loop pads on the other side of the strap, just far enough down from the velcro hook pad that it will hold the two sections of the pad snugly together when pressed against the velcro hook section.
    - Attach the other velcro loop pad on the same side of the strap as the first velcro loop pad, but at the far end, just long enough to meet up with the velcro hook pad when the strap is wrapped around the two CCF sections rolled together.

Here it is, assembled...
    IMAG3049.jpg

...covering shoulders, back, butt, and thighs.
    IMAG3053.jpg

Put the end of the straps with velcro hooks through slots in both pad sections and lay it flat with the velcro hooks up. Then pull it snug and put the velcro loop pad over it to secure it.
    IMAG3054.jpg

It's probably best to assemble it so that the velcro pads are on the underside of the pad when it's in use (unlike what's shown here).
    IMAG3048.jpg

The straps are identical. This shows the two sides. The velcro hook pad is on the left of the top strap, and the velcro loop pads are in the middle and right of the bottom strap.
    IMAG3057.jpg

This shows the sections assembled again as one long pad.
    IMAG3055.jpg

Here they are rolled up.
    IMAG3047.jpg
    Last edited by sagamore; 08-01-2015 at 11:32.

Hammock
    Dutch & DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    H. Anchors, Straps
    Looks like it will eliminate those cold shoulder spots. Good job.
    Formerly known as - SloGo

Hammock
    Outpost 2
    Tarp
    dont know yet
    Insulation
    BA system & CCF
    Suspension
    Light Speed
    with the two pieces, any problems with air/cold spots where they meet?

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I did the same thing and you do have to overlap them to overcome cold spots.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looking forward to a field test/report.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markb2 View Post
    with the two pieces, any problems with air/cold spots where they meet?
    Maybe adding a flap of sorts to the short side of the leg portion so that when you join the torso pad, the flap bridges the gap between the two pieces. Putting it on the short side of the leg pad would make it usable in either configuration. Maybe a flap of tyvek attached with duct/gorilla tape, or just a piece of wide tape with a portion of the long edge folded over on itself.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Finally took a few minutes to mod my CCF pad as above for use in my DL WBBB. Cut it in pretty much the same fashion making sure the torso pad was wide enough to accommodate my shoulders. I used small Velcro cord wrangler straps to connect the two halves. I'm not bothering with straps to roll it up as I'll just use the outside straps on my pack.

To remedy the cold spot where the halves connect, implemented my suggestion above by making a flap to bridge the gap. A simple piece of Gorilla tape applied to the edge of one half and folded the sticky over on itself. Then repeated that step to make the flap wider.

And the two pieces separated.

I've used the modded pad half a dozen times and it works pretty much perfectly. Either section can double as a sit pad, or used singularly if weather is extra warm.

As often happens with DIY stuff, we long for a second shot at it and given the chance I would make the torso/shoulder piece a few inches wider. The CCF pad is plenty long and my legs and feet would be fine with a shorter pad. This one goes from the base of my head to my ankles.

Sent from East of Montauk
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    Sorry for my late follow-up! I had not looked at this post for a while, and I'm pleased to see some collaboration on this. MikeieM, that's a good idea to make a flap to cover the joint. I found that I did not need that, though. By cinching the velcro straps, I can pretty firmly butt the ends of the two pads together, and in quite a range of temps, I've not felt any cold gap there.

What I *do* find, however, is that I would like the top half to be even wider, so it wraps even more around my shoulders. I thought I was being generous on the first measure-and-cut, but even wider would be better.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Agree completely on making it wider at the shoulders.

I have since switched from a double layer to single layer BlackBird and use a HammockGear Incubator UQ instead of the CCF pad.. but it worked just fine when I did use it.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts