Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    One reason that canoes and kayaks, at least whitewater, are bright is because that aids in potential rescues, boat recovery, and, frankly, they show up better in photos. I'll confess to not being familiar with the formal LNT organization, but after reviewing their 7 principles, I'm not sure why a bright canoe or kayak would be counter to any of those principles. From a practical, non-trademarked "leave no trace" perspective a canoe or kayak leaves a wake, not even a footprint. Once a paddler is on land, it looks equivalent to a hiker from my perspective.

I've always followed the principle of leaving nature better than I found it, whether I was hiking, paddling, or sailing. If I see some trash, I'll pick it up within the limits of practicality. I participate, by boat, in annual river clean ups. I've taught my children the same. If somebody gets upset over the color of my tarp or boat, well, I guess that's up to them.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Leave No Trace has some really silly ideas. They can't even deal with hammocks - the best they can do is say that LNT "does not have a recommendation either for or against tents and/or hammocks." That's how brave they are. They're seriously worried about offending their corporate sponsors like Subaru.

https://lnt.org/blog/hammock-camping ...
    Gaaaaaah...! It's non use! I'm still raging! Still raging! They got themselves an "education director"?!! Whatda...? Named Ben?! Ben's gonna direct your education, now?! Who's this Ben, now he's gonna direct your education and mine?! We should submit our thoughts for approval, our opinions for correction, and our education for direction, to this Ben?? This all, we should submit to almighty Leave-No-Brain-Unwashed Ben?! The effrontery! The outrage! The black & bitter gall of these folken people! If these be the last keys I tap to the forum, I tap them diligently. IF this be my banishment, I want lastly to implore everyone to H.Y.O.H., and I leave with my sincerest thanks to you all for the fun & education. I'll just go back to where I started... Lurking -- Thanks, SilvrSurfer, for the revelation.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Getting a little off topic, but for good reason. We all want to enjoy the outdoors.

I think it comes down to common sense, as some have already stated. Just take care of the land and don't do anything stupid. If people want to smear poop on a rock or pack out urine...go for it. But that's not for me. When you leave camp, can you look back and say "this is exactly how I found it?" Within reason of course...not every single leaf will be in it's place.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    When you leave camp, can you look back and say "this is exactly how I found it?" Within reason of course...not every single leaf will be in it's place.
    I don't even care if I leave camp exactly as I found it - what difference does it make if it isn't?
    But did I leave it worse than I found it? That would be a bad thing IMO.
    I don't care if I burnt some wood or left some ashes, but I'm not looking to damage living trees or leave behind unsightly trash for the next campers/hikers to see.
    I believe in showing respect for unspoiled environs and not being a jerk by spoiling nature.
    Leaving footprints is fine, leaving uncovered human waste or trash is definitely not!
    If I take a crap in the woods it will be in a hole that I dug and then covered up afterwards, it wont be on a walking path and no one will be finding it - it will decompose to dirt and add fertiliser for the plants.
    If I take a can of beans into the woods and eat the beans there, the can is coming out with me. It takes nothing to have a bag with me to put my trash into and if I can take a full can of beans into the woods then I sure as hell can carry an empty can out!

Would you like to go camping in the bush and come across previous campers' trash? Assuming your momma isn't coming by later to do it - clean up after yourself!

But if I see another camper's tent - I really don't care if is brown, green or bright orange!
    In fact, if I am trying to avoid other people in the bush then bright orange tents are easier to see and therefore easier to avoid. Maybe I'll see the brightly coloured tent site and go around it without getting close enough for them to see me?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    But did I leave it worse than I found it? That would be a bad thing IMO.
    That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Leaving burnt wood in a pit is OK. Leaving it in the middle of nowhere isn't IMO. Pretty soon you're walking thru a minefield of ashes and half-burnt wood...depending where you are of course.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345