ENO double
    Tarp
    Walmart el cheapo
    Insulation
    Work in progress
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Can I make this work?? New with tarps.

So I had an impulse buy at a local outdoor sports shop. It's a light weight "backpacking" tarp. 5x7. What are the chances I could use this as my 3 season tarp for hammock camping? At $9.00 either way it's fine bc I needed a footprint for the tent we use occasionally in deep winter.

I've taken a very cheap (super heavy) tarp backpacking once and would love to never do that again so I have used shelters and an overhang once bc I can't afford the kind of tarp I want right now.

Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Hung asymmetrically(corner to opposite corner), it should be fine to cover past the hammock ends because your hammock is short to begin with. This does not mean it will keep you dry for 3 seasons because any rain at an angle may wet your hammock. An UQP(underquilt protector) will help to keep the bottom of your hammock + quilts dry from sideways rain and splash from any puddles due to minimal coverage.

It will be fine for fair weather or occasional lite showers. Just use UQP and have a poncho ready to cover other almost exposed areas.

Try it at home with the sprinklers on to find out.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    Walmart el cheapo
    Insulation
    Work in progress
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Already guilty Floridahanger! I took the water hose to it! I keep my ridge line at about 5'9" (I like a deep sag) and my homemade underquilts are waterproof. I just couldn't operate the hose and be in the hammock. We're supposed to get thunderstorms Thursday and I've already informed the husband I'm sleeping outside. Thanks for the input!

Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Backyard testing is my favorite next to the woods of course. A couple years ago, I slept outside 5 nights in a row. 3 of the nights were in a tropical storm. Rain and hammocks just go great together.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKD View Post
    So I had an impulse buy at a local outdoor sports shop. It's a light weight "backpacking" tarp. 5x7. What are the chances I could use this as my 3 season tarp for hammock camping? At $9.00 either way it's fine bc I needed a footprint for the tent we use occasionally in deep winter.

I've taken a very cheap (super heavy) tarp backpacking once and would love to never do that again so I have used shelters and an overhang once bc I can't afford the kind of tarp I want right now.
    If you can get two of those 5x7 backpacking tarps and sew them together along the 7' edge you will get a tarp that is 10' x 7' and that is a good size tarp for 3 seasons. Here is a thread in the DIY section that talks about doing this.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

You can always save it for use as a sunshade, but get a "real" (i.e., bigger) tarp for rain.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Blog Entries
    I am extremely dubious about a $9 tarp - it's probably gonna give you $9 worth of coverage. Better test the heck out of it in the backyard.

Also, I can't really understand how you can have a 5'9" ridgeline (69 inches). If you have a hammock ridgeline at 83%, then 100% (i.e., no ridgeline) is 80.73 inches. Even the ENO double (listed in your equipment) is 9 ft. 4 inches long (112 inches), so 83% of that would be 92.96 inches. So by my calculations, you have your ridgeline set at 61% of the hammock length. Is that right?

By the way, according to the Pythagorean Theorem, a 5' x 7' tarp hung on the diagonal should yield 103.23 inches (8.58 ft) of coverage. I'm just a little confused on whether that's enough for you.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-05-2015 at 16:02.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is a $9-10 blue "backpacking" 5 x 7 tarp available from a certain common big box store... It's a pissah value.
    At that price, it's almost disposable. If something happens to it you're not going to be deeply disturbed. I use mine as a ground cloth under the hammock for changing clothes etc. It's also great for a quick-setup sunshade when there's no need for a full tarp.
    I always toss mine in, unless pack weight is going to be really critical on a longer trip.

edit-- I almost forgot to mention that you can quickly and easily use spray adhesive to wonk a $2 Mylar emergency blanket onto the hemmed side. I used mine [wonked] as my regular ground cloth under my thermarest inflatable when I was a groundhog... but you could probably sling it mylar up under your hammock like an el cheapo UQ.
    Last edited by Flash Grundelore; 08-05-2015 at 18:25.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have that tarp that shall not be named and it is good enough and packs small. I wouldn't use it as rain cover, just because of how short it is, but a footprint or ground cover is it's forte.

I shall think of it now and forever as "the tarp that shall not be named" !!