DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

NCT / Manistee River Loop 8/1/2015

So this was my first backpacking trip, my son's first backpacking trip, and also my dog's first backpacking trip. I had bought my son a Gregory Wander 50 for his birthday back in February and he's been dying to put it to use ever since. I had recently picked up a Gossamer Gear Mariposa to use while I meticulously design and make my dream pack, and managed to find a cheap pack for the dog last minute before our trip. I wish I would have taken the time to weigh all of our packs before leaving, but I'm guessing my pack was just over 20lbs with food and water, my son's around 15-18lbs and the dog just carrying enough food for 2 days and a collapsable bowl.

The plan was to make it at least to Eddington Creek the first night and make camp, then hike the rest of the loop on Sunday.

After dropping my oldest daughter off with my parents for the weekend, we made our way to the Red Bridge trailhead. Shortly after arriving we walked down to the river to filter some water for our first part of the trip. The dog got a little over zealous and ended up going for a swim, pack and all. Luckily her food was in ziplock bags and didn't get soaked. We set out on the trail about 1:45pm on Saturday and were joined by one of the members of the local hiking/backpacking meetup groups.

We proceeded along the North Country Trail side of the river and I had forgotten just how hilly that trail was. Not much in the way of views, but very hilly. We did happen to see a couple of deer cross the trail not more than 10 yards away from us. We rolled into Eddington Creek right about 6:30pm to make dinner and filter water. I got to give my new MSP Core Recon wood stove a try (another first for the weekend). The wood was a bit damp, but managed to get the fire going and boil some water for my son and I to rehydrate our meals.

After we ate dinner and cleaned up, we filtered some more water and continued another 1/2 mile or so to find a spot to call home for the night. I quickly scrambled to setup my son's hammock, a purple Dutchware NylonD 1.6 w/Fronkey bug net. I think by the time I had setup my hammock, a Dutchware Half-wit in grey Hexon 1.6 (thanks Jolly), my son was sound asleep. I tied the dog up to a tree and drifted off to sleep myself. Next thing I knew it was 6:00am and I was awoken by the rain. I brought the dog to hang out with me under the tarp while I packed up my hammock. The rain stopped about as quickly as it started. We sat for a while then decided it was time to rouse my son from his slumber and make some breakfast.

We quickly packed up the rest of camp and continued along our journey. This is the half of the hike I was looking forward to as there was much more to see. After being on the trail for a couple of miles we finally came upon the Mini Mac bridge, which from what I understand was modeled after the Mackinac Bridge.

Now we were on the east side of the Manistee River heading southbound. This trail was quite a lot of fun and seemed to alternate between hiking in the deep woods full of cedars, pines and maples to bluffs overlooking the river, and this hole that was eroded down through the bluff.

A few more miles down the trail and we came upon the backwoods waterfall, which according to my son was his favorite part of the hike.

A short time later we started to hear some distant thunder, which led to the skies opening up and soaking us with a torrential downpour. This didn't seem to deter the dog from catching a little nap while my son and I ate our lunch.

Eventually the rain let up and we started to dry off. The rest of the trail presented us with more backwoods creeks which the dog refused to use the bridges to cross and insisted in fording across instead.

As we were nearing the end of our journey, we met up with another HammockForum member twandawg85. Shortly after, we reached our destination. The dog seemed to gain a quick burst of energy when she saw our car, and her bed in the back. No sooner did we get off the trail, than a large storm front blew in. All in all it was a really awesome trip. I was very impressed that my 9 year old managed to hike the entire 21 miles with minimal complaining and carrying most of his gear. I was equally impressed that my 9 month old lab made the entire journey as well with minimal napping along the way. She is still laying around the house today trying to recover.

Thanks again to Randy for hiking with us and helping to keep my son motivated. Can't wait to do this trail again.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    One of my most favorite trails! Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Nice TR. Glad you had an opportunity to get out. Randy is good peeps, BTW. Hiked lots of miles with him!
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

love that trail, i did it earlier this summer and would love to do it again sometime

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    Thanks for the pic's. Good times!

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I think I want to go back and do this again in a few weeks before the kids start school again. Maybe drive up Friday evening. Camp the night somewhere close to the trailhead, then hike one side on Saturday, and the other on Sunday.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Great weekend trail! I have hiked it a few times and I love to see it in different seasons. Just before you crossed the mini mac bridge is a nice spot to camp down by the river. We dubbed it, "camp deer poop."

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    You guys did make it out just in time. When the storm hit, it hit hard.

Thunder, lighting, wind, hail as big around as my thumb. We heard some pretty big trees fall on the other side of the river.

My DIY 1.1 ripstop tarp with DIY sil treatment held up very nice. Worst weather its seen (if you don't count testing it in the snow in my back yard).

Our original plan was to make it somewhere near the waterfalls the first night, but we maybe made it 2 miles in before the storm hit hard.

I looked at my buddy (ground dweller) and said "find a place to put your tent! I could hang there, or there, or over there, or right here for that matter. If you don't find a place soon I'm gonna set up and get out of this rain without you."

We soon found a spot. He was set up and in his tent FAST. I took my time setting up my tarp, got my bag under the tarp and finished setting up. Changed my clothes and jumped in my cozy hammock.

Then I hear my buddy yelling. "Is there room under your tarp for me to stand?" His tent was in a puddle. So he stood under my tarp wet and shivering while I was hanging dry and warm reading on my tablet.

It was constant and hard for about three hours.

The sky through the trees was beautiful after the storm though.
    I'll post some more tomorrow.

This was my first hike as well! I had camped there before but we walked in about a mile and stayed the same place for 2 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by twandawg85; 08-04-2015 at 22:59.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like it was a great first backpacking trip... Careful, backpacking becomes addicting.

Hammock
    Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    I love this hike. Thanks for the pics. and story. I'm glad your son was able to go and see it also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast