Hennessy Utralight Expedition Asym.
    Tarp
    still looking.
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    working on it

New to hanging out.

Hi there. I'm new here. I live in Ohio and like to hike and bike camp. Been a heavy camper:for a long time and I'm not gonna take it any more. Got a Mountain Hardware ultralamina sleepingbag, HH and my old faithful optimus 8R Hunter (not the lightest, but I love the roar of self pressured coleman fuel)
    I just got my HH (exped asym) with SS(I did go to get a emergency blanket for over the UP) and will soon have an OC as well.
    It's all set up in the garage right now, not ideal, but since it's been raining steadily for a couple days, I did not want to learn in the rain.
    I'm already picking up that it wont be easy to stuff the whole rig into the snakeskins so I plan to build my own Bishop Bag and use that. (in that set up do you dispense with the snakeskins altogether?)
    I have already seen some threads that mention hanging the tarp before the hammock, to provide shelter for a rainy rig.. how does that work? do you use a separate line for the tarp/fly then get under and rig the HH?
    Do most of you keep the tarp separate, and rig it before or after the HH, or is the preference to keep it all together and rig it as one piece?

Please pardon all the questions: I'm excited to get out and use this in the real world, as my last bike camp was rather heavy and now I've cut weight like a high school wrestler before nationals.

Oh, is there an Acronym Thread ? SS UQ KAQ, OMG! so many new acro's to learn LOL If there's not could we make one and make it a sticky for all us newbs who need to learn but don't have the lingo down?

Anyway: Hello !

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome aboard!

Most of the folks that use Hennessy Hammocks tie the tarp directly to the trees instead of attaching it to the hammock as recommended by Hennessy. In fact, most users opt for a larger tarp very soon out of the gate. The stock tarp will work fine, but one must be diligent in their set-ups and there isn't much room to do anything besides sleep.

Bishop bags are a great way to deal with a hammock IMO. I still keep my tarp separate because there may be times I just don't want to eat lunch in the rain. Having the tarp separate makes it easy.

Here is the thread you asked about. It's on the home page, upper left corner.

Welcome to the forums. I suspect we'll be seeing some bike threads from you judging by the number of bikes in your picture.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Hi and welcome, Kelt!

I also prefer keeping my tarp separate. It's good to have for a rainy lunch break, or for setting things up in the rain.

I would also recommend a larger tarp in the future- maybe something that could also fit your bike under? That way you can have you, your bike and all your gear under the tarp while unpacking and setting up. Some spreading out room is really handy in bad weather!

I also strongly suggest getting out there to practice with your gear in the worst possible weather, which will help give you a good idea of what you may want to change or add to.

Welcome to hammocking!

Hammock
    Tarp
    still looking.
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    working on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll be getting some more line and assembling a separate tarp assembly soon, that makes a lot of sense. Same with the Bishop bag, I like to sew and that will be an easy project.
    Trust me to go directly to the HH forum, and miss the important info on the front page!
    Yes there will be some bike-related posts, but perhaps not for a little while: everything is colder on a bike in winter, but I do like to S240 (sub24hour overnight) so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I'd do one before the snow arrives.
    What tarps do you guys recommend as a larger option? Can I make one, or are they readily available (non garish color a plus)
    Kelt.
    P.S. Perkolady, that tarp in your gallery looks perfect..just saw it. I like the zippered skeeter netting too.
    Last edited by Kelt; 10-15-2009 at 14:18. Reason: add comments after a little hunting

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll be getting some more line and assembling a separate tarp assembly soon, that makes a lot of sense. Same with the Bishop bag, I like to sew and that will be an easy project.
    Trust me to go directly to the HH forum, and miss the important info on the front page!
    Yes there will be some bike-related posts, but perhaps not for a little while: everything is colder on a bike in winter, but I do like to S240 (sub24hour overnight) so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I'd do one before the snow arrives.
    What tarps do you guys recommend as a larger option? Can I make one, or are they readily available (non garish color a plus)
    Kelt.
    Hello there Kelt,

I am also here in Ohio. I am in the central Columbus area (Lancaster). Maybe we are neighbors.

That is a sweet looking bike setup you got there. Is that a Brooks Saddle? I love mine!

As far as the tarp question, I would suggest at least a 10x12 for decent coverage for you and your bike. You could probably get by with a little bigger since you are on the bike. There are a few vendors out there that make some great tarps. Brian at OES makes some great tarps and I am pretty sure he does some custom work. The SWT (another acronym for you...Speer Winter Tarp) is one that I personally have and love...and it is pretty darn light weight. Brandon, a.k.a. Warbonnetguy, also makes a mean tarp. Having said all of that, if you have some sewing skills you might get some materials and give it a go. There is lots of information on here about DIY gear and you seem like one that might get hooked pretty easily! LOL.

Welcome to the forum!

Stormcrow

Hammock
    Tarp
    still looking.
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    working on it
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hello there Kelt,
    That is a sweet looking bike setup you got there. Is that a Brooks Saddle? I love mine!
    Stormcrow
    Thanks Stormcrow and don't get me started: you're eyes are good, it's a Brooks B17 Special on a Rivendell Bleriot with matching canvas accessories (saddle/handlebar bags and panniers)
    For "grab and go camping" I built an Xtracycle cargo bike using their Freeradical kit and the Freeradical pannier set up. I think I'll go load it up for an overnighter at Kiser lake! anyone in?

And again thanks for all the good info about tarps: I'm already planning the upgrade! I'm a freak for Flickr.. and I like to document my mishaps and escapades.. check out some of the stuff: My Photos here

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Welcome Kelt!

You keep a good stable of bikes. That Rivendell is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Love the Xtracycle, too. Reminds me of the Surly Big Dummy.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
    Kelt.
    I agree with the suggestion to hang the tarp separately, for several reasons, my main one being: set the tarp up first if raining. And it allows (as mentioned above) you to use the SEPARATE tarp as shelter at lunch.

As to a larger tarp (Member owned sites): OES, Jacks r Better, Spear hammocks, Warbonnet hammocks, & I'm sure I forgot a few, all make stellar tarps. For a cheaper but heavier tarp, try Sportsman's guide on line.
    It is generally accepted that HH & ENO tarps offer minimal protection. I would use neither in winter, especially considering the winds with rain/snow we sometimes get here in Ohio.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Kelt, lots of great manufacturers named. If you're looking for something for winter nasty weather, IMO bigger is good (esp. with the bike). A longer tarp helps for closing off ends and still leaves lots of space. Some tarps are specifically made for being able to close off the ends.

A diy is a fairly easy project as well. There are a lot of helpful threads here for diy and plenty packed with tarp info as well. The only problem is, choosing which one! As you'll quickly come to find out here, many of us can't choose, so we like to have a bunch!

Keep us posted as you go through your outfitting adventure....

• + New Posts