Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Virginia Week Long Hikes for a Beginner!

My gf has been wanting to go on a week long hike for a while now. She's never done one with me before. She's only done a few overnights. Most of the ones I have done have been in Vermont and Idaho. We've decided we want to try somewhere in Virginia this September since we live in Maryland. Anyone have any good ideas for a Sat - Sun hike that isn't too brutal but has scenery worth the hike in Virginia? We don't mind some work just no mountain climbing.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Netty, DW Nylon D,
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    G.Pepper 0 Inc 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    While there are many different hikes in the Shenandoah National Forest, I'd go a little further West into WV and visit, Dolly Sods. It's truly an amazing area which many say is the best hiking/backpacking on the East coast. We backpacked it last year ans are planning another trip this Fall.

A couple good vids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0aqgjaaVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOZNjFcGzU

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    If you want simple/safe - look at the 100 miles of the AT that are in the Shenandoah National Park. Lots of wildlife (but well behaved if you follow safe food hanging), 5 developed areas along the way for food/shelter/assistance if you need it - never too far from a road. So you can pack lite and if you forget/loose something it s not a show stopper.
    Like locknload said, there are many other short (and great) trails in the SNP, but hiking 100 miles of the AT has that mystique to it.
    (I like to yo-yo hike using the safe car parking at the overflow lots at each of the 4 campgrounds in the SNP).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    oldpappy, do you let the park rangers or camp hosts know that you're leaving your car there overnight? just wondering what the etiquette is for parking at campground overflow lots at SNP.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just make it happen
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    oldpappy, do you let the park rangers or camp hosts know that you're leaving your car there overnight? just wondering what the etiquette is for parking at campground overflow lots at SNP.
    I just drive to the overflow parking area and leave the car. The two I use are 'Big Meadow' where the overflow parking is on the left just past the campground check-in station and 'Mathews Arm' just drive past the check-in station and make 2 quick rights for the large overflow parking area. There are others, but these are the ones I've used.
    Own less, live more.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    You have to register when you enter the park. On the permit you will have to list the trails you will be spending the night on, what car you drive, and where it will be parked.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    You can get the 'application for backcountry camping permit on line and mail it in 2 weeks in advance or register upon entering the park (get one at any of the manned or unmanned major trail heads). You need to plan your week long trip using the backcountry camping instructions and map of allowed camp area/permit drop places on the SNP web page. With camp stores and restaurants along the way the planning and carrying of food is much less critical. They are all reasonably priced and backpacker friendly.
    Permit and instructions: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm
    Note: the 'Panorama' store/restaurant at the Rt 211 entrance was closed last year and looked pretty much abandoned.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-07-2015 at 05:59.
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by locknload View Post
    While there are many different hikes in the Shenandoah National Forest, I'd go a little further West into WV and visit, Dolly Sods. It's truly an amazing area which many say is the best hiking/backpacking on the East coast. We backpacked it last year ans are planning another trip this Fall.

A couple good vids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0aqgjaaVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOZNjFcGzU
    Welp, this is the one we've picked to go on! We'll be driving out there next Monday morning and taking our time of things. We have till the next Sunday before we have to be home and while it won't take nearly that long, it does give us plenty of time to slack off and explore the area.

Hm... I'm not finding any topo maps for that area that are good quality (waterproof). Anyone have suggestions on where to get one that covers that entire area? I'll be taking a gps with me in case of emergency but I would love to have a topo so I can teach my gf how to use a compass. I used to teach land nav in the Army and she's been bugging me to teach her.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast