Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Taffetta vs. Ripstop

I know this has been asked a 1000 times, but I'm looking for opinions from people who have used both.

Currently I have a Claytor made of taffeta; it is super comfortable and soft.

Ripstop stretches, but is more durable and lighter than taffeta.

As far as comfort goes, which do you prefer and why?

I'm considering dream-hammock t-bird and am trying to decide on materials. I though maybe ripstop on the outside and taffetta on the inside. Not sure though. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by hacktorious; 08-05-2015 at 16:52.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl WBXLC
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can't think of a more comfortable setup than my Tree to Tree Switchback with a ripstop outer and taffetta inner. The nylon D that Dutch sells feels good against the skin as well.
    Give a man enough ripstop and he'll hang himself.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Honestly I think there are tradeoffs you have to consider for both materials. Personally I like to have one of each for different occasions. Below is my opinion.

Taffeta:
    Most comfortable. Skin slides against it and it breaths well for hotter summer days. Taffeta is quite heavy though. I like to have a Taffeta hammock if I'm car camping, setting up in the backyard, or letting new hangers try out hanging. For me Taffeta is more durable because I use such lightweight ripstop.

Ripstop Nylon:
    My skin doesn't slide well on it and I tend to stick to it. I use M50 ripstop nylon, feels like a garage bag, that is super light and super strong. This is my go to hammock when I'm backpacking and weight is the biggest concern. I don't like to have this hammock out when with groups of children or other people that might want to try hanging because of its limited weight capacity.
    I've also made hammocks out of your more standard ripstop nylon weights and they are also nice and quite durable. But if weight is not your concern then I prefer Taffeta for comfort and durability.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Gathered End
    Tarp
    Edge; DIY
    Insulation
    Greylock 4, DIY ++
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling ++
    Quote Originally Posted by Usadave View Post
    I can't think of a more comfortable setup than my Tree to Tree Switchback with a ripstop outer and taffetta inner. The nylon D that Dutch sells feels good against the skin as well.
    +1 on the Nylon D from Dutch
    -dbass

Images
    Taffeta is a finish style...ie "Crinkle Taffeta" and not a fabric. If you have Polyester Taffeta then it stretches less, and does generate quite a static charge with certain clothing options.

Polyester Taffeta can rip suddenly, so hold up the hammock material periodically and look for "Thin Spots", these will be your weak spots. When it rips, it tends to tear a pretty good seam.

I suppose it all comes down to length, width, tautness, and hang angle. Get those down with a given hammock and you are well ahead of the game.

Spending time in the hammock, not just weekend excursions, but sleeping in them for a couple of months straight will give better feedback than from random sampling of group variables, kinda like the three blind men describing the elephant, eh?

Your comment "...Ripstop stretches, but is more durable and lighter than ripstop..." could use a bit of clarification.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Well, I expect I have more hang time than most people in this group so experience isn't the angle here. I've slept in hammocks for years straight, not just months straight.

I've never had an issue with taffeta ripping. I have a Claytor Exped made of taffeta which is probably close to 10 years old and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I agree it is definitely heavier than ripstop.

I'm considering a double layer hammock with an outer shell of ripstop and an inner layer of taffeta. I was thinking about ditching the inner layer, but I cannot get myself to do it. LOL

I'm really just looking for peoples opinions, and experiences.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have hammocks made from all kinds of fabrics. I don't think that ripstop generally stretches more. My PolyD hammocks have close to 0 stretch and the hammocks made from ripstop nylon stretch differently. So far, I like heavy ripstop (2.6oz) best, because it stretches very little - same goes for the heavy taffeta in my HH Safari and UK Hammocks Expedition hammock. One of my DDs uses a polyester taffeta which feels nice, but it's also very thick and heavy. I'm fine with 1.9oz ripstop nylon as well as double layer ripstop nylon hammocks (usually a combined weight of 2.0oz and up). I'm eager to try Dutch's new Hexon fabric; if it has as little stretch as advertised, I might even be fine in a single layer 1.6oz hammock...

With regards to feel: the fabrics I like best are HyperD and Argon 1.6oz. I find that the HyperD feels better than the NylonD, although the fabrics are very similar. The HyperD is the softest fabric I have tried so far. The Argon feels nice in a cottony way. I have never "stuck" to any (uncalendared) fabric that was intended to be used for hammocks. Pretty much all of the uncalendared ripstop nylons for hammocks sold by Dutch and Ripstopbytheroll feel nice. Some just feel nicer.

My advice would be to decide on how much stretch you want in your new hammock, and then make a list of the fabrics with these stretch characteristics (ripstop and taffeta). Then go ahead and order samples, to get an impression of how they feel to the touch. Just be aware that the touch changes a bit when actually sewn up as a hammock. I didn't like the way the 1.6oz Argon felt when it was just a folded piece of fabric. Even when sewing it I didn't like it much. But once it was in the shape of a hammock, it was really nice. So if you can't decide between two fabrics, maybe get a couple of yards and whip up a simple no-net. That should make your decision easy, and you can be a lot surer that you like your new DH before you spend a lot of money.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    All this talk about these newer fabrics that I hadnt seen yet and you all made me go out and buy a new one to try! Went with one of Dutch's made from the Hexon1.6 if it is really as comfortable of a fabric as some say I might just use it permanently as my go to hammock. That would mean ditching my M50 even at an almost 8oz+ penalty.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have hammocks made from all kinds of fabrics. I don't think that ripstop generally stretches more. My PolyD hammocks have close to 0 stretch and the hammocks made from ripstop nylon stretch differently. So far, I like heavy ripstop (2.6oz) best, because it stretches very little - same goes for the heavy taffeta in my HH Safari and UK Hammocks Expedition hammock. One of my DDs uses a polyester taffeta which feels nice, but it's also very thick and heavy. I'm fine with 1.9oz ripstop nylon as well as double layer ripstop nylon hammocks (usually a combined weight of 2.0oz and up). I'm eager to try Dutch's new Hexon fabric; if it has as little stretch as advertised, I might even be fine in a single layer 1.6oz hammock...

With regards to feel: the fabrics I like best are HyperD and Argon 1.6oz. I find that the HyperD feels better than the NylonD, although the fabrics are very similar. The HyperD is the softest fabric I have tried so far. The Argon feels nice in a cottony way. I have never "stuck" to any (uncalendared) fabric that was intended to be used for hammocks. Pretty much all of the uncalendared ripstop nylons for hammocks sold by Dutch and Ripstopbytheroll feel nice. Some just feel nicer.

My advice would be to decide on how much stretch you want in your new hammock, and then make a list of the fabrics with these stretch characteristics (ripstop and taffeta). Then go ahead and order samples, to get an impression of how they feel to the touch. Just be aware that the touch changes a bit when actually sewn up as a hammock. I didn't like the way the 1.6oz Argon felt when it was just a folded piece of fabric. Even when sewing it I didn't like it much. But once it was in the shape of a hammock, it was really nice. So if you can't decide between two fabrics, maybe get a couple of yards and whip up a simple no-net. That should make your decision easy, and you can be a lot surer that you like your new DH before you spend a lot of money.

I sent an email and changed the materials from 1.9oz to 1.6oz HyperD based on your thoughts. The hammock looses 25lbs of strength, but I'm only 140lbs so it won't be an issue. If I like it I will by another with a double bottom for my wife and I to sleep in together. Asyms are more comfy for two, but this one isn't strong enough with a single bottom.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts