DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by romaic666 View Post
    I do notice though that along the ridgeline it looks a little loose is that because it is not a catenary cut and just too hard to get the cuben fiber taut? is there any tips for getting a rectangle tarp taut? ie tying sides first etc
    It's probably because the folded perimeter edge does not stretch but the field/middle/body of the tarp does due to wind, weather, and cramming into the pack.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    wow what a setup! i love the way you can look up at the stars at night through the mesh
    Yes, I've used it as much without the tarp as with. Last Friday night I pulled back the tarp because of a nice sky with full moon. It was downright cool at 72 night-time degrees in July in Texas!

But the .31 ounce CF panels keep the drafts off your head and feet.

That bug net/weather sock weighs only 5 ounces.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    that picture makes that tarp look huge! I was starting to wonder if a 9 x 7 tarp was a bad desicion and just too small but now im reconsidering!
    You are correct that you have a skimpy tarp - it is not going to give you the coverage of a Superfly or HG Winter Palace. Additionally, tarps pitched on the diagonal are prone to having wind/blowing rain get under them. There's nothing wrong with a skimpy tarp, as long as you're not trying to hang it in severe weather where doors are essential. It should work great for fair weather and minimal wind.

In severe weather, you'll have to pitch that thing as low as possible. I doubt, even then, that it will protect you (MDSH mentions a weather sock to deal with that).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock ultralight zip
    Tarp
    Camo 11x8.5 Cuben
    Insulation
    KCHO 3/4 UQ
    I live in the uk so it can be windy and wet but i will allways try to find a shelterd spot where possible, mainly i worry about my underquilt getting wet as it is Down and only has a layer of DWR as waterproofing and that will not help that much id guess.also the UQ hangs lower and could be more prone to splash rain etc, yeah weather socks sound like a good idea but if i can help it i dont want any extra weight, i find hammock camping slightly heavier allready compared to tarp camping as i dont use a mat only a waterproof undersheet so my tarp camping is ultralight, but if i find i need a weather sock then its probably going to have to buy one, is MDSH a forum member? or a company etc

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    is MDSH a forum member? or a company etc

He is a forum member that resides in TX. I live in a coastal community and do not have the benefit of extremely predictable wind patterns. The winds can shift several times in ten minutes, so "site selection" and hunkering down the tarp don't work for me. Doors eliminate the need for those things.

People who like skimpy tarps usually live in places with extremely predictable wind patterns, and have the ability to camp wherever they want. I don't have either.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    By the way, when it comes to losing weight, I can thoroughly understand why folks look to the tarp to lose weight. A CF tarp in the dimensions you describe could weigh as little as 4 ounces. My Winter Palace weighs twice that (8.6 oz.). However, I like never having to worry about the weather or blowing precipitation - it means a lot to me. I also don't have to resort to UQPs or other weight-increasing methods to make up for my skimpy tarp choice.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My hybrid bug net/weather sock is extremely light, using .34 ounce CF and nanoseeum.

Another option is polycro peak beaks. Polycro weighs about .5 ounces a square yard. It's very cheap but can tear easily.

My other DIY CF tarp is 10x9. Like it very much.

But the OP needs 11 feet of ridge and asked about 9x7. In that case he'd need some kind of peak insurance. A poncho over the weather end would work, too. Or a door of polycro or .34 CF.

Silvr makes a great point about unpredictable winds and rain.
    Last edited by MDSH; 08-08-2015 at 09:13.
    Mike

I do notice though that along the ridgeline it looks a little loose is that because it is not a catenary cut and just too hard to get the cuben fiber taut? is there any tips for getting a rectangle tarp taut? ie tying sides first etc

i believe it looks that way because the ridgeline is on a bias to the grain of the Dyneema fibers. In the A-frame pic, the ridgeline looks tighter.

Check out MLD Asym tarp pics, for comparison.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    i believe it looks that way because the ridgeline is on a bias to the grain of the Dyneema fibers. In the A-frame pic, the ridgeline looks tighter.

Check out MLD Asym tarp pics, for comparison.
    That makes sense.
    Mike

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock ultralight zip
    Tarp
    Camo 11x8.5 Cuben
    Insulation
    KCHO 3/4 UQ
    Ive decided to order an 11 x 8.5 rectangle tarp instead, it will cover my hammock in aframe mode and if i really wanted to go crazy it would give me something like a 14 foot coverage in diamond/asym mode, and then if and when im hiking without trees(which unfotunatly in ireland is most of the time as there are very few trees left standing) then I can use my tarp as a tent, i am still slightly considering going for the zpacks hammock hex tarp with doors but it seems less versatile and i would imaging with the 11 x 8.5 in aframe mode i would be able to have some sort of doors anyway

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast