Schooled by a Turtledog stand

Wife and I just returned from camping at Bandit's roost, Kerr-Scott reservoir Wilkesboro,NC . We pulled our Popup and were joined by our niece, her husband , her husbands brother and 4 kids from 4-10. Our group went from a tent, Popup camper and before we left I threw together a Turtledog stand from material I had around the house plus 2x2 s I purchased. It was so simple, allowing me to sleep in my hammock that I sleep in at home each night. Long story short this thing wallowed me a couple times. The first time I was alone as everyone hadn't arrived yet and my wife and niece's daughter were off swimming. I hope no one saw me trying to get out from under this thing as my bug net wasn't helping me out any. I moved it to level ground thinking problem solved. Then my niece's daughter tried to get in my hammock and it caved on her. I'm thinking this is so simple "What am I doing wrong?" Duh,spread the legs out further. I had tied the legs to keep them from spreading and didn't allow enough spread. I guess in my old age it's getting hard for me to spot the obvious. I had a ten foot pole and an 11' hammock. A little more sag than I'm used to but still very comfy. The last night everyone had returned home except the wife and I so I slept in the camper with her. Woke up with stiff back. Sleeping in the hammock has made me realize that waking up with a stiff back or shoulder has nothing to do with getting older. I get out of the hammock each morning with no body aches. I wish I'd discovered hammocks years ago.
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Silly geometry! Glad your aches are gone!
    Beckyinma~

-----------------------------------
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    The learning curve is sometimes painful. I learned quickly that you must keep the hammock directly under the ridge pole. You cannot "walk" it forward, more often backwards, when entering or exiting. If the load is 90 degrees with the ridge pole and the ground you should be safe.

I also tied a guyline from each end. It just takes a minute for extra piece of mind.
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

• + New Posts