Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    I think I am going to use the stand predominantly just to have somewhere to hang indoors in the winter. "have someone about your weight in the hammock". Haha, maybe if I put my wife in there with both kids stacked on top of her Or maybe I will have someone else measure me.
    Thanks for the info!
    I got a good laugh from that. Having someone measure it while your in it is the best bet. I was wondering if you built something yet as I'm starting to have the same interest.

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    I got a good laugh from that. Having someone measure it while your in it is the best bet. I was wondering if you built something yet as I'm starting to have the same interest.
    Yeah, I actually just slapped mine together last night and it worked out great! I used some cheap T fittings from tarps.com and the stand is a bipod on each end, and collapses down easily to lean up against the wall when not in use. The ridgepole right now is 10'4", but I am going to extend it to 12' I think to give a little adjustment room. The legs are initially 5' tall, and it's just slightly too tall, but works. I will later make them adjustable. Still need to add some cordage between the legs, but they grab carpet well enough that they didn't splay out at all last night.

I can post some pics this weekend if you like. It took a whopping 15 minutes of hacksaw time and about 10 minutes to assemble, and then I slept in it. A slight end to end wobble when I move around a lot, but seems way more than strong enough even for my very ample frame. Quite happy with how easy, cheap and strong it turned out.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better

Best dimensions for a BBXLC stand?

Last edited by rmagnus; 08-28-2015 at 13:56.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    Yeah, I actually just slapped mine together last night and it worked out great! I used some cheap T fittings from tarps.com and the stand is a bipod on each end, and collapses down easily to lean up against the wall when not in use. The ridgepole right now is 10'4", but I am going to extend it to 12' I think to give a little adjustment room. The legs are initially 5' tall, and it's just slightly too tall, but works. I will later make them adjustable. Still need to add some cordage between the legs, but they grab carpet well enough that they didn't splay out at all last night.

I can post some pics this weekend if you like. It took a whopping 15 minutes of hacksaw time and about 10 minutes to assemble, and then I slept in it. A slight end to end wobble when I move around a lot, but seems way more than strong enough even for my very ample frame. Quite happy with how easy, cheap and strong it turned out.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    Thanks. I thought a tripod would be the way to go. A little surprised 5' was tall enough. I need to look into this option as I only have one spot in my back yard to hang and test gear. A stand would provide more options.

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Thanks. I thought a tripod would be the way to go. A little surprised 5' was tall enough. I need to look into this option as I only have one spot in my back yard to hang and test gear. A stand would provide more options.
    Yeah, I was originally going to do a tripod also. I also thought that I was going to have to add the adjustable leg extenders with only 5' leg sections, but it is plenty tall, at least with the 10'4" ridgepole. We'll see how the height shakes out when I extend the ridge a bit. Should be spot on then.

Just put up some pics and a parts list for my stand. Making the ridgepole 12' and the adjustable angle legs now gives me lots of adjustment so the 5' legs are plenty tall.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-style-stand

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Made modified Turtle Dog Stands.. 13' cross pole/ridge line works perfect.
    mystand.jpg
    That is a Superfly tarp on there also.. Plenty of room for adjustments and a perfect hang every time.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have an XLC and I went with a 13' ridge pole and I hang it under the apex of the stands from continuous loops on each end. The foot end is hung from an 8" loop and the head end is hung from a 15" loop. This is the perfect rake for me. My stands have 7' legs and my hammock hangs about 2' off the ground. I used 3/4" electrical conduit for the ridge pole, cut and threaded in the center, so I have two 6' 6" sections leaving my system all under 7' for easy transporting in a regular 8' truck bed. I started with a 14' ridge pole but to get the sag that I wanted the hammock hung to low...
    Last edited by Solohammock; 10-24-2015 at 11:10.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12