Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Interesting idea Joe. Any idea on the weight of that tablecloth? I couldn't find specs on the website.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Interesting idea Joe. Any idea on the weight of that tablecloth? I couldn't find specs on the website.
    It weighs a ton. I have several 60x126 tablecloth hammocks and love them. Sure, they're heavy, but nothing like a 90x132 tablecloth! I believe mine came out to be 16 ounces without suspension.

Personally, I don't see anything particularly interesting or effective about a 90" wide hammock. I just don't care for all the floppy material in my face. There are folks who find wide hammocks to be more comfortable, but they're pretty much in the minority.

At 5'11", all I need is a minimum of 58" width, and 11 ft. length, and I'm happy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kroma, did you feel comfortable? The first time I used a hammock, I didn't get much sleep either. My brother and I were training for a hike, and we tried a tent for the first time since I was a kid, and I rapidly gave up on that! Ground sleeping didn't go well, and that's when he mentioned hammocks - he knew about Eno. I tried a hammock after that, and found it far more comfortable than the ground. With that said, when I used the hammock, I felt infinitely more comfortable (although not as comfortable as my bed at home), but I still stayed awake most of the night - just a combination of being in a hammock, outside, a little movement, wondering if the straps would break, every time I moved the hammock would rustle, etc. The second night of being on the trail was so much better, just from sheer exhaustion and it not being quite so new any more. I still have nights where I fall asleep fitfully, but if I do multiple nights in a row by body gets used to it.

So, did you find the hammock comfortable, and just had a hard time sleeping, or was the hammock too uncomfortable to sleep?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    It would be comfortable for a few minutes and then I would have to change position and start over. I should mention I have Restless Leg Syndrome and was hit with a fierce case of it that night. Maybe that played a factor as well. I'm going to try the ENO again (as it's the only hammock I have at the moment) and see if I have a different experience.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Wish I could find a way to test out a Blackbird XLC for a night. Otherwise I may play around with a tablecloth if the ENO doesn't work out. The doublenest does get a ton of positive reviews though, even from people my height or taller, so I'm inclined to think my poor initial experience was due to factors other than the hammock itself

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I would suggest you try 2 things... First, use some ear plugs..... Second, try taking 2 Benadryl your first few nights. It takes a few nights to get used to the hammock sensation. Both of the suggestions will help you drift off and not focus so much on the hammock....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, UGQ TQ
    You may want to find a group hang in your area. The XLC is a very popular hammock and there is likely someone in your area who has one.

Ok, thanks for the info! I forgot to mention in my post that I have discovered that my original hammock, a grand trunk double, very similar to eno, was probably the worst for me. I have since discovered that I hate stretch in my hammocks, which both eno and grand trunk do a lot, and I hate the seams and extra fabric they create (it causes ridges and falls in my face). Plenty of people don't seem to share my problem - my brother still uses his eno! - but I started looking for another hammock rapidly. (I just ordered a Dutch hexon 2.4, and it's amazing).
    We aren't the same person, but I just thought I would share what I had learned about my hanging preferences. Glad you are getting out there and trying it again!

Hammock
    BMBH/WB Traveler
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    Down under&top
    As mentioned many have a hard time getting to sleep the first few times. The comments regarding the hammock being too short for you is worth investigating. The question "did you feel comfortable" even tho you couldn't sleep is a good one. I moved to hammocks a number of years ago. Started with an HH Exp then a WB Traveller dbl which I love. Very comfy, great for naps but I still cannot sleep thru the night in it. I'm a side sleeper & I move sides often due to back & nerve issues. Even with a knee pillow I find the "ridge" that occurs in a gathered end & the lie bothersome after an hour or two. I ended up with a BMBH & all has been right with the world since. You may not wish to invest in another hammock but if someone close to you has a bridge hammock it may be worth your time to try it out.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Honestly, it takes practice. It is a new sensation. You've slept on your side in a bed for years upon years, one night isn't going to be easy. Try a longer hammock. If you have troubles pushing out the noise, try earplugs. Perhaps even a bandanna tied over your eyes.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast