WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question WA - Suggestions for mom's first hammock trip? (Cascades)

I've been camping in a hammock for a while in California, but I recently moved up to Washington, where my parents live. My mom was talking to me about my setup and showing me the Eno she picked up from REI, and we decided we should go on a trip up here. We've since rigged her up with whoopies and a ridgeline, and we're about ready to go camping. Any ideas on where we should go?

She did a lot of hiking, canoeing, and camping as a kid, so we're looking for someplace backcountry. And we probably won't be able to do more than a three-day weekend (two nights). Ideally we'd have a mid-length hike, set up camp early-ish, explore, and either do the same thing or just day hikes the next day. Return on the third day. I'd love a loop or even a there-and-back, but point-to-point will be tough with only one car. We're competent backpackers but don't have orienteering experience. She's got a fairly bad back, but she's in good shape and can do a few hours hiking.

Trees mandatory (obviously), camp stove pretty much mandatory, campfires preferred, stream or lake much appreciated. I don't love bears, but I don't mind 'em, either. I'm thinking someplace in the North Cascades might be fun, but I don't know the area very well. So far I've been camping close to Rainier and on the Olympic Peninsula. I'd be happy to go to either of those places again, but I'd prefer to see somewhere new.

Thanks!
    &

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Some fine and easy hangin' in the Chuckanuts:
    303_photo_1504.jpg
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    You could, quite literally, throw a dart at a map of the central Cascades and build a 3-day trip out of the many lakes there: lots of lakes, great trails, plenty of trees and a multi-day loop could easily be customized to your needs. Maybe head downtown to the main Seattle library (a neat building in its own right) and plan on killing a few hours going through their many books and maps on backpacking this region, including some more rare Beckey and Spring (early mountaineers) books on the top floor in the archives. Most people rely on WTA.org, nwhiker, Summit Post and cascadeclimbers for routes and trip reports, but there are some real gems hiding in those books. And you get a sense of history completely lost in the digital sources.

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    campfires preferred
    Please don't. At least not until the rains return.

And welcome to the area!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNorm View Post
    Some fine and easy hangin' in the Chuckanuts:
    303_photo_1504.jpg
    Thanks, not a bad idea. Taking a look at trips around these parts right now, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    You could, quite literally, throw a dart at a map of the central Cascades and build a 3-day trip out of the many lakes there: lots of lakes, great trails, plenty of trees and a multi-day loop could easily be customized to your needs. Maybe head downtown to the main Seattle library (a neat building in its own right) and plan on killing a few hours going through their many books and maps on backpacking this region, including some more rare Beckey and Spring (early mountaineers) books on the top floor in the archives. Most people rely on WTA.org, nwhiker, Summit Post and cascadeclimbers for routes and trip reports, but there are some real gems hiding in those books. And you get a sense of history completely lost in the digital sources.

Please don't. At least not until the rains return.

And welcome to the area!
    All this is good advice. I grew up here but didn't start hammock camping until after college, so what I'm really looking for are good hammocking trips in the Cascades. When I think back to the backpacking I've done here, I remember a lot of old growth forests and camps above tree line, both of which make it harder to find a good place to hang. The last thing I want to do is go on a beautiful three-day trip that looks good on paper but leaves us using our bags as bivies, you know?

Also, are the central Cascades pretty crowded this time of year? Seems like they must be, right?
    &

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I super easy hike is Barclay Lake. Very popular & crowded, but with hammocks, you can camp wherever you like, as opposed to the cleared tent sights. About 2 mike hike with couple hundred feet elevation gain. Go up Highway 2 to Baring and then cross over the train tracks to the north. I've taken my kids, when they were 10 & 12 to camp out in 14" of snow there. Easy hike for grandmas & moms with bad backs.Barclay too.jpgBarclay.jpg

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Boomer, are you using sticks instead of poles? That's fantastic.

Above treeline it gets tricky. Playapixie and I have a running joke on ridiculously bendy trees. But it's still do-able. And it's easier when you're only hammocks and bivyiers with no tents. Just carry longer straps and always carry a tarp.

Absolutely. The Central Cascades are busy, always, but now is the peak. I did Rampart Lake recently and everyone was wedged in every possible nook around that lake. Luckily some awesome fog and mist moved in, obscuring most of the lake and facilitating indecent alpine-lake beer-fueled evening swims. The next morning on our way out we were literally stepping over edges of tents.

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    High Hunt coming up next month, and with the Chihuahua drainage closed off, Alpine Lakes might see quite a bit more pressure. Add blaze orange if you go!

• + New Posts