Thread: MacCat Ultra

MacCat Ultra

Would this tarp work with a WBB to allow for 4 season use? The coverage area seems quite large according to the dimensions shown on the OES website, and I am thinking that the addition of some tieouts would allow for the ends to be closed off during cold and or extreme rain periods.
    Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with one and could offer feedback.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I've used a MacCat Ultra and a homemade Blackcat of the same approximate dimensions for the last two winters and have been very pleased. As long as you pay attention to where you set up, and take advantage of natural windbreaks where they exist a MacCat can do nicely in the winter.

The winter tarps with doors are very nice, but not strictly necessary.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thanks.

I would assume the same setup (natural windbreaks) would hold true for hard rain storms, in terms of keeping spray off the hammock - or perhaps going lower to the ground?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar74 View Post
    Thanks.

I would assume the same setup (natural windbreaks) would hold true for hard rain storms, in terms of keeping spray off the hammock - or perhaps going lower to the ground?
    Absolutely. Hanging lower is a great technique for cutting wind from underneath.

Also, if you hike with either a poncho or a rain jacket you can rig it to act as a tarp beak when needed. Grizz had a great post here showing the method.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar74 View Post
    Thanks.

Ive been through several down pores and my Maccat standard kept my HHULBP and me dry to the bone. 20mph winds. It can be pitched so taunt water just roles off it.

This will be my first winter under a sil tarp and Ive yet to noticed any misting. Although, if I touch the underside of the tarp while raining I do notice some moisture.

I use the OES delux in winter and feel it is adequate given you pick a decent site like angrysparrow says. The Ultra would definitely give a bit more coverage and should give you a few more options.

I have been looking at the Winter Dream Back woods Day Dreamer Tarps thinking that the design and the extra tieouts would make it a great tarp to go with my WBB and it should allow you to close the ends up like doors for the truely nasty stuff. Especially the price he has them at.
    http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/tarps.htm

DG

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The ultra didn't work for me as a winter tarp.
    the ridgeline is plenty long enough, but the sides (total of 104") didn't give enough side coverage, IMO
    the deluxe and the ultra have the same side coverage, the ultra just has a long ridge length (according to the OES website)
    I switched to a 10x11 for winter use and found it better for my needs
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts