BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the inner shell on the te-wa is a mere 1.8 ounces. the suspension and baffles are another 1oz.
    the ability to use the te-wa on my 3 different hammocks, depending on conditions, is priceless.
    and for venting: yes i like to have that ability. a properly designed UQ will let you vent both ends independently of one another, again depending on conditions, and i personally use bungee as drawstring in the end channels to get the best fit for any and all hammock user - so if you dont want "venting" you dont get it!
    i also think that any hot air that will escape out the sides of the UQ takes vapor (condensation) with it. thus, having a seperate UQ may be warmer in some conditions than just a breathable fabric layer where this vapor can only seep out from the bottom
    my 2¢

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    As to the glue question, I'm working on a small 1.1oz ripstop and microfoam extension for under my heels. It will snap onto the footbox of whatever quilt I'm using. I'm gluing the microfoam to the nylon, and tried nylon-to-nylon gluing as well. I use 3M spray adhesive. It needs to dry for several hours when used with nylon (it's pretty much instantaneous with some other plastics), but it does work. It makes the fabric somewhat stiffer, but I don't see any other problems.

Te-wa, I think you're right. It doesn't save much weight, and it only takes seconds to attach most underquilts (if only tarps were that easy). I spend most of my time in my bridge though, and I've had to get creative to get the quilt to stay snug against the side of that hammock when I'm semi-fetal. It's no problem when I'm on my back or stomach, but all kinds of weird body bumps result when I switch to my side, resulting in serious gaps. In that case, I think an integrated underquilt would be very useful.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    -Quicker setup and packup.
    -Lighter weight (Te Wa, aren't you a superultralighter?)
    -Simpler construction.

I don't use this hammock on the equator. If daytime temps hit above 35C, I don't go walking. I didn't realize overheating in hammocks was such an issue for so many people.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    -Quicker setup and packup.
    -Lighter weight (Te Wa, aren't you a superultralighter?)
    -Simpler construction.

I don't use this hammock on the equator. If daytime temps hit above 35C, I don't go walking. I didn't realize overheating in hammocks was such an issue for so many people.
    -Quicker setup and packup?...By seconds...maybe
    -Lighter weight?...2-3 oz max (assuming that the required overstuff isn't more than the shell/baffle/suspension weight)
    -Simpler construction?...lack of baffles and suspension, true. On the other hand, this entire thread is discussing construction issues and I have not seen a concrete solution yet.
    Definitive? No way.
    But keep going...the idea has definite potential.

BTW, camping in the heat is another set of problems all it's own. Staying cool is harder than staying warm, IMO.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Overstuff? 6oz of down in mine. 4oz in Risk's. I don't know of many underquilts with 4oz of down that take you down to freezing.

Harder to keep cool than warmin a hammock? Really? This flies in the face of all the innovation so far. Garlington, Speer, JRB,WBG, all spent time trying to insulate the bottom of the hammock, not cool it. But I'm getting into opinion here perhaps. Thanks for all the comments so far

My down hammock weighs 541g (19oz). I know of no other commercial hammock and underquilt that match that weight. And this is with:
    -6oz of 900 down. It could use less down.
    -"Heavy" 1.9oz nylon fabric and 1.1oz nylon pocket.
    With seams taped to the hammock instead of stitched, maybe lighter fabric (1.1oz?) could be used.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Overstuff? 6oz of down in mine. 4oz in Risk's. I don't know of many underquilts with 4oz of down that take you down to freezing.

Harder to keep cool than warmin a hammock? Really? This flies in the face of all the innovation so far. Garlington, Speer, JRB,WBG, all spent time trying to insulate the bottom of the hammock, not cool it. But I'm getting into opinion here perhaps. Thanks for all the comments so far

My down hammock weighs 541g (19oz). I know of no other commercial hammock and underquilt that match that weight. And this is with:
    -6oz of 900 down. It could use less down.
    -"Heavy" 1.9oz nylon fabric and 1.1oz nylon pocket.
    With seams taped to the hammock instead of stitched, maybe lighter fabric (1.1oz?) could be used.
    Wow...
    I don't think we are talking about the same thing...I'm discussing the idea and your discussing your very specific set-up.
    It is great that your happy with your rig...you should be! I've seen the pics, it looks great! I'm simply pointing out that I'm struggling seeing the advantages for me.
    As far as staying cool, again, I didn't specify hammocks in the heat, but camping in general. You stated that you stop hiking at 35*C(95*F)...many don't. Those who don't stop, struggle just as hard to be "comfortable" at 95*F as they can be at 32*F. I would suggest that if JRB, Speer, WBG or any other manufacturer could make a portable air conditioner unit that kept the hiker cool for under 10oz, even you might camp during the heat of the summer! (modded of course)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Harder to stay cool... I agree... There are lots of options for insulating in the cold. That's the point. It's the old "I can always add a layer of clothes when it's cold, but I can't take layers off (beyond a certain point) when it's hot. Bottom line... lots of insulation options... not a kot of cooling options.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    AC, apologies. I think we were indeed talking at cross purposes

• + New Posts