Hammock
    HH Explorer UL-A & BIAS Weight Wenn
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20

New DIYer -- Looking at Climashield UQ for 1st Project

I've been looking at a number of the posts on how to build a full size Climashield UQ but haven't seen one that lays out all of the details. I could have easily missed it though. I'm looking to make a UQ for my Hennessy Explorer UL-A that will work down to around 20 degrees. I'm thinking that I need 3yds of Climashield 6oz & 6yds of Argon 67. I'm a little confused on the best way to connect it to the hammock. It seems there's a couple of ways, 1) shock cord in sleeves down the sides of the UQ or 2) shock cord to the edges with LineLoc's. Both would have shock cord in sleeves on the short ends so you can cinch the ends tight. Does this sound right? Should the shock cord go up to my ridgeline or directly to the hammock suspension? Should the UQ be cut in a rectangle with the foot end being smaller? Should I cut the long sides straight or with a cat cut? What am I missing? Lots of questions!

thanks,

JAF

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My DIY Winter Climashield UQ has shock cord on the short ends that run up to the ridgeline (and yes, for cinching closed on the ends) and shock cord through the long sides that run to carabineers at the ends.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    My recent DIY climashield underquilt does not have channels on the long edges, and works great. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Marathon-Build) It has shock cord running through channels on the ends to cinch them up. Each corner has a web loop with shock cord fixed to it that goes up to the suspension. Having the underquilts suspension run up to the ridgeline, then over to the hammock suspension does seem to work very well. I used a cord lock for testing, but you'd want to use something that can be removed easier like quilt hooks or maybe some type of knot.
    Like this-

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Here's how I got rid of the cord lock over the ridgeline.
    Loop of shock cord on the ridgeline with a prussik-

The underquilt suspension is individual pieces of shock cord that go from the corners of the underquilt up through the prussik on the ridgeline and over to a minibiner at the gather-

The underquilt suspension shock cord are different lengths in order to get the whole underquilt to lay ever-so-slightly asymmetrical.

With weight in the hammock the ridgeline straightens out and pulls up the underquilt a bit.
    Slide the prussiks towards the ends to loosen the underquilt.

In warm weather, simply loosening the ends and lowering the quilt by sliding the prussiks to the ends of the ridgeline is not enough venting. The quilt is still up against me on either side, and unless there's a good breeze going through the open ends it's just too warm. It has to be removed.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    not sure where the kick-*** quilts page went on here, but I used their instructions to build my under quilt. Made it from m50 fabric and 6ounce climashield. Its cut on the weird diagonal specific to the Hennessy Hammock, and works like a charm. I'm glad I saved the PDF before it disappeared. It was my first big project and has worked great.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadinsb View Post
    Here's how
    Really nice photos and a lot of effort to label things and make it all clear.

Thanks!!

I will be tackling a climashield quilt project soon and plan to closely study your marathon post.

• + New Posts