DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa

tie dye hammock chair finished...

Following lots of helpful advice from Trippy Gear, plus learning how to make my own whoopie slings, I dyed and finished my own hammock chair, completely from scratch. I need to practice tie-dying some more, but the color sure beats the heck out of the robin's egg blue that I started with!

https://theosus1.wordpress.com/2015/08/10/tying-one-on/

I redid the end loops like four times. I kept having way to much amsteel rope hanging out. I finally went with my "dog bones" with small loops, since they are only going around themselves on one end, and a dutch whoopie hook on the other. I also just saved some weight and sewed the free end of the tree strap right onto the whoopie sling. No carabiners, no toggles. Strap around tree, free end of whoopie through the free end of the strap.

You can't see it here, but I sewed a bag for everything and sewed it to the side of the chair, like ENO does with their bags, so not only do you have a place to hold your beer, uh, water bottle, but you can't lose the bag.

Made with 1.0 ounce hyper D from ripstop by the roll. It doesn't look like it will hold much weight, but I guarantee it will hold 215 pounds, because that's how much my fat @$$ weighs and it holds me just fine. I used 2 yards, and then folded the end channels, so I lost a total of about 7-8 inches. It a bit long, but I like the chair a little long. I can lay back, cross my legs, and take a nap in the thing. And it's plenty wide enough straight form the factory. I just rolled the long edges over twice to hide the frayed parts of the selvedge, and stitched a hem down the sides. Feels plenty tough.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Very cool looking!
    I'd like to make one, where did you find the plans/pattern?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    My girlfriend is getting into hammock camping and about to buy a tarp. she just asked, "can I get one tie dyed." I laughed and said, " I don't think so."
    ...then you came along.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    AWESOME!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
    My girlfriend is getting into hammock camping and about to buy a tarp. she just asked, "can I get one tie dyed." I laughed and said, " I don't think so."
    ...then you came along.
    Trippy Gear has several sizes of tie dyed tarps and will do custom color combos for you.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by sustaireblues View Post
    Very cool looking!
    I'd like to make one, where did you find the plans/pattern?
    I didnt. I've been playing with hammock suspensions for a few months, trying to improve mine. Finally settled on my inverted whoopie sling method. The hammock chair itself is really just a short hammock. I bought my first tie-dye version from Trippy Gear. All I really needed was the fabric size. Sewing the side hems is pretty simple, and then sewing the end channel/hems is fast. Making your own whoopie slings/tree straps isn't that hard if you already have some to go by. I was lucky in that I have some full-size hammocks and could sort of gauge what I needed from there.
    If you just want a solid color, that's pretty easy. Ripstop by the roll sells lots of different colors. Plus, the nice thing about using ripstop fabric is the little grid makes it simple to cut really straight lines. Just follow the grid. The HARD part is the tie-dying. You need special dye for nylon and then you lose some in the wash. Trippy Gear really does a good job with the dye. He takes requests for colors and patterns, too.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts