DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR

Hanging in Wisconsin; KMSU Part 1

So I've been putting this off for awhile. Please forgive me (but at the same time I'm the first from the trip so I don't feel that bad )

So on the last day of July and the first few days of August a few men and one brave woman set out to do the possible- Hang in Kettle Moraine's Southern Unit and hike the trail from one camp to the next. The people included in this epic journey were: Tumbleweed, Skwatupu, BananaHammock, Goobie, Dux, PurpleHiker, TBD, and partially Mixter.

I had arrived at Campsite #2 on Friday at noon was very excited as this would be my first weekender in over a year. IMG_1177.jpg

I soon met the wonder that is Tumbleweed. At 66 years young he stood with a confidence that would make business men tremble. We quickly hashed out a plan to drive and drop off water off at one of the pre-designated water caches. On the return, we met up with Skwatupu. He's the type of guy that never says no and is always ready for the next challenge in life. So after the joining of such a tremendous trio, we set up our hammocks and began drinking, naturally.
    IMG_1227.jpgIMG_1228.jpg
    It was not too much longer in the evening when one foot followed another beneath the purple pedestrian that we encountered next. She admitted it was her first hanging experience and had not yet spent the night above ground. Of course, we were excited to hear of the transition that we hope all mankind will evolve into eventually, and offered whatever experience we could muster.

As the night continued, we chopped wood and decided that a great way to spend the evening was to make a fire drill. So Skwatupu and I had at it:
    IMG_1246.jpgIMG_1247.jpgIMG_1253.jpgIMG_1268.jpg

Skwatupu showed off his experience in this area, but I feel like I contributed a little in the design.

Then Skwatupu showed off a design of his own. He created the world's smallest cribbage game on a case for playing cards. It was truly an ultralight entertainment. He settled down to play Tumbleweed, but since I know nothing of the game, I'm not sure what happened.IMG_1287.jpg

The sun set upon us and cooked my steak and potatoes and sipped on my wine jukebox.
    IMG_1288.jpg

We passed around some Tumblejuice and Skwatupu picked up a little something himself.

The next day we began the hike.
    IMG_1292.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1296.jpgIMG_1295.jpgIMG_1298.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I don't know why all the pics turn sideways... They are normal on my computer. ��
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Thanks for posting. It was a great experience, although somewhat exhausting. Never dawned on me that I had tied my hammock to a dead standing tree at Shelter 3. "DUH" moment. Glad that this error was caught.
    Tumblejuice was J & B Scotch. Aptly named. We ran out...
    Your steak sure looked tempting, but I wanted to eat down some of my pack weight. The Mountain House Potato goulash was mucilage. Never again...
    This group of hangers were great to be with. Everyone had some experiences to share. The firedrill was a hit. See the pics of the round burn marks on the stick laying on the table.
    I knew that you had taken pictures. Thanks for posting them, even if sideways
    Great memories, easily outlasting the grunt of that last hill.

And thanks to all of the participants.
    Strongly encourage anyone interested in hammock hiking/camping to join a "hang". So much more that just camping out.

I am thinking strongly about the Pinewoods trip (back to KMSF SU), and the "CHILI" hang in central Michigan.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Didn't take many pics. Here's the best of the pics I did get.

View from S2 near the fire pit looking west.

View from S2 looking west zoomed in.

Smoke drifting up and greeting the rising sun at S2 on Saturday morning.

Lunch at HRC on Saturday. Everyone is rucking up and getting ready to leave.

The guys getting ready to leave S3.

Happy Trails y'all!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Well written, along with great pictures guys. While I was carrying both a point and shoot AND a contour video camera.... I never pulled them out of my pack!! Thankfully the others were wise enough to document the journey, thanks for that! Besides, nobody wants to see pictures of this sweaty old guy red in the face, huffin and puffin up and down those hills

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Trip Report Part 2:

So I forgot to mention that before the hike that Dux, Goobie, and TBD joined the group. The reason I forgot this is because they slipped in somewhere between Losing Sobriety and Gaining Sobriety. Saturday morning, I was awoken by a friendly face that was wondering when and if I was going to be getting up. I quickly (it seemed quick to me) made my breakfast and started packing up. I awaited Dux so that we could transport vehicles/ water to the next rendezvous. I confidently told him that I'd lead and then drove off avoiding every shortcut and finally making it there the long way round. The parking space by site 3 is easy to miss unless you know where to look or are driving 20mph. But thanks to Dux's experience in the area, we quickly found the place and then headed back to join the others at site 2. They were patiently waiting and were quite ready to hit the trail...and so we did.IMG_1293.jpg. It did not take long for PurpleHiker to separate from the pack as she moves slightly faster than wind and Skwatupu was right behind her making sure that we were at least traveling in pairs. I stayed behind the rest of the gang but then not too long after that, we split again! Dux and TBD (He is called TBD because he does not yet have a trail name) fell behind the middle group. Eventually we met up again to discuss and partake in the wonderful little presents left by nature called mulberries. MMMMM!! Is all I can say. After a little ways, we stopped for lunch.IMG_1299.jpg . This was at the HRC (Horse-Riders Camp). Of course, there were horses. IMG_1300.jpg. It was the first time I ever saw anyone reach into a pack and pull out seaweed. It was also the first time I ever got to see the wonder that is Pack-It Gourmet. It seems a little complicated, but I'm sure it was delicious. Like all things, put less water than you think. After lunch, we set off again. This time I joined the PurpleHiker group because she had this wisdom that just seemed to make sense to me: "The sooner we get there, the sooner we can take off the pack". That's all I needed to hear. After a good hike, dodging the occasional poison ivy and stepping carefully in the sandy parts of the trail to avoid the small grains from filling up my shoes that had mere netting as a cover (that would just add to my total weight and the gram weenies wouldn't have it) we arrived at the underwhelming STONEd ELEPANT. IMG_1305.jpgIMG_1304.jpgIMG_1303.jpg

The group reconvened at this point just to see if we were all still alive. Tumbleweed had a tired yet determined look across his face. Goodie and Dux were trekking along and TBD was probably bored lol. After that, we continued our journey. There was still a long way to go. So through the woods, over the hills, and across the fields we went. IMG_1307.jpgIMG_1311.jpgIMG_1316.jpgIMG_1314.JPGIMG_1326.jpgIMG_1327.jpg

I was exhausted when we got near campsite 3. The best part of the trail so far was running down the hill after Bald Bluff. Worst part of the trail...right at camp 3. So, we are soo tired and what are we greeted with?! A giant hill to climb. But when we got up there we were greeted with a wonderful view...MIXTER in hammock! It was good to see the guy ride out there to chat with us. We scouted for hanging areas and saved the best for those yet to come and then we rehydrated and had some snacks. A good while passed before the rest of the group came hiking up the hill just as beaten as we looked when we had gotten there. We greeted them and welcomed them to take a rest. After everyone got hung up, we got the fire going and chatted about various things. Everyone got more comfortable and then we hit the hay. When everyone went to bed I made a cup of hot cocoa on the coals of the fire and enjoyed the quietness of the night. It was nice. Then the effects of the evenings alcohol kicked in again and told me it was time for bed. I had set up the tarp in storm mode and was ready for the predicted storm...it never came. When I awoke in the morning, I quickly ran to the fire pit to meet up with the few that were awake and was trying to make sure I wasn't the last one up again. When I got there I realized I was the ONLY one awake. Soon others followed. Before too long we waved goodbye to PurpleHiker as she continued on with her quest. Little did she know we would not be following. As a group it was decided that the hiking portion of this trip ended at the top of that hill. So we sat around and talked some more before venturing off to get vehicles. It was a great time with everyone and I would gladly do it again. This group was one of my favorites and I'd give a thumbs up to each member. Thanks for the hang guys!
    Last edited by BananaHammock; 08-13-2015 at 18:31.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Nice write up BH, thanks for sharing!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    After that trip report....I want to make the trek again!! Who's up for a winter hang?!?

Nice job Banana, sums it up quite nicely. The panorama pic of the field before the shelter is really cool!

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Sun setting at site two. image.jpg

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Great trip report BananaHammock! Brings back good memories. Thanks for taking pics and documenting the trip. Learned many things from all of you. Goobie, thanks for teaching me about mulberries. Dux for the flint and steel lesson. Tumbleweed for waxing me at cribbage and the wise quote I continue to mull, "don't be sorry, be responsible." Purple Hiker for the quick pace and just the right amount of conversation on the trail (hope you do end up through hiking the AT). TBD, you'll earn a trail/forum name eventually, you're a good kid. BananaHammock for the poison ivy identification lesson and friction fire challenge.

We all made a good team, and had a zombie apocalypse struck that weekend, I would count on us being among the long term survivors.

Happy trails!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast