Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Amazone lack of gear, or why ENO is the only option.

So I sea a fair amount of negativity towards ENO. I have a odd arrangement with the wife, since I already have so much camping gear to outfit myself with some hanging gear, I can only order with amazone prime (probably so she can return it easy when I'm not looking)... This limits my options to what amounts to pretty much ENO stuff. Other than what appears to be a concencous that its overpriced is there anything actually wrong with it from a hanging perspective?

Everything else on Prime looks ether sketchy or none existant. Do the other manufacturers not mass produce as much or have some other reason for being off amazone?

Oh, its starting to rain. Neat...

Hammock
    Eno/Yukon
    Tarp
    8x12
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk
    Yukon Outfitters MG10501N Parachute Hammock with Mosquito Net https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBY371S..._IkcZvb5HTY7GW

Hammock
    Eno/Yukon
    Tarp
    8x12
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk
    The link above is my hammock of choice. Beautiful design & I'm comfy in it. & prime member is half off.

Only having a limited amount of knowledge, the image with what looks like more complicated rigging for the bug net scared me away. Though since then one I'm hanging in was prime I could send it back and given that one a try. I assume you think that would be worth it.

Hammock
    Eno/Yukon
    Tarp
    8x12
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Vithar View Post
    Only having a limited amount of knowledge, the image with what looks like more complicated rigging for the bug net scared me away. Though since then one I'm hanging in was prime I could send it back and given that one a try. I assume you think that would be worth it.
    You could try it... Return it, money back, turn around and buy this one. It's worth a shot.

I love the netting. Here in MO, USA, there are flies, nats, & bugs everywhere. The built in netting is a life safer on a good night sleep.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Other than what appears to be a concencous that its overpriced is there anything actually wrong with it from a hanging perspective?
    The main problems with ENO hammocks are:

• they are only 8'9" (possibly shorter, because length on mass-produced hammocks often varies), which is very short. Short hammocks can be nice, but there are limits.
    • a lot of ENOs are made from 3 pieces of fabric, which puts seams under your legs and neck. This can be uncomfortable.
    • for the size and non-existent features ENOs are pretty heavy.
    • suspension and ridgeline are not included.

Now compare this to e.g. an 11' Dutch net-less hammock; without suspension and ridgeline it costs ~$35. It's longer and lighter, although it only comes in one color (not a disadvantage in my book, though). Other cottage vendors have similar offerings. The way I see it, buying an ENO means wasting money twice; you'll pay more for less, and you'll probably buy something else later on.

Quite honestly, with the hammock boom, I don't understand why ENO doesn't at least increases the length of their hammocks. That would go a long way, and people on this forum would probably be less opposed. But as it is, you can't help feeling that they know what's wrong with their hammocks, but that they can make more money (every inch of fabric costs money), and there are enough unilluminated people who buy their gear. Of course it helps that they are sold in many offline shops.

Everything else on Prime looks ether sketchy or none existant. Do the other manufacturers not mass produce as much or have some other reason for being off amazone?
    The manufacturers people here are going to recommend to you, like Dutch, Simply Light Designs, Dream Hammock, Hammeck, BIAS, Wilderness Logics, Warbonnet etc. do not mass produce. They are small operations with at most a handful of people often only sewing up the hammocks when you order. Some have a small stock. And they can only offer the prices because they don't sell via Amazon and the likes, which take a considerable cut of course.

I wouldn't be worried about warranties or returns: all the cottage vendors will work with you if you are unhappy with your purchase. Also, their hammocks have a high re-sale value. Just look at the For Sale section. This is not true for ENO & Co.

If Amazon is a must, you could contact the cottage vendors and see if they'll accept Amazon Pay.

I know it's not Prime -- but I'm confused about your arraignment anyway.

I couldn't tell if you were joking about your wife sending gear back or not.

Anyway, if it's just a money routing thing, Amazon pay might help you out.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    no offense to you or your wife, but that amazon restriction is weak.

You are spending plenty of money ($100?) on an Eno setup of hammock and suspension, may as well just buy the right thing, like a cottage vendor hammock. This is what you want to do (deep down) anyway or you wouldn't have asked us. Just tell your wife you spent the money more wisely :-)

Or buy the eno setup, there is nothing WRONG or UNSAFE about it, and HYOH until the wife allows you to shop elsewhere.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    IMHO and take it with a grain of salt but ENO hammocks are for lounging around in the park. For camping hammocks I would go with a cottage vendor.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Well, let's look at it from a cost perspective.

ENO gear:

Hammock (Double nest, cause the Single nest is useless): $70
    Suspension (Atlas Straps, cause the Slapstraps stretch horribly and leave you on the ground): $30
    Ridgeline: $5
    Bugnet (from what I hear, Minnesota has a pretty vicious mosquito population): $60
    Tarp (measuring 10'6"x 6'4" -- very minimal coverage): $80
    Insulation (only good down to the 40s per their claim): $175
    Total cost for ENO setup = $420

Cottage vendor gear:

Hammock (includes suspension and ridgeline): $77 (11 ft Dutchware w/straps and cinch buckles)
    Bugnet: $55 (Fronkey style bugnet from Dutchware)
    Tarp: $70 (Kelty Noah 12 from Amazon Prime, measuring 12' x 12')
    Insulation: $100 (3-season Jarbridge from Arrowhead Equipment, good down to the 20s).
    Total cost for cottage setup: $302

Even counting in the shipping and handling, that's around a hundred bucks you could save and use for a pretty nice date night with the wife, while still getting better quality gear that will be more comfortable and thus more likely to get used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast